Rotella T1 vs Rotella Diesel vs Rotella Synthetic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others mentioned in other posts, I tried the Rotella synthetic but ended up with a slipping clutch. I went back to Rotella T 15W40 since. Clean quality oil is what I feel is best to have running through my engines.

I'll have to side with Sean and Brain. I will swear by using Rotella T15w40 in my vmax. No slippage and great oil all round.

Here's a Blackstone report from a Honda Goldwing.
Oil Analysis Comparisons:
Rotella T 15w-40; Honda Pro HP4 and Rotella T6 5w-40
Over the past six months, I have been trying the following engine oils listed in the attached used engine oil analysis report from Blackstone Laboratories:
•Column A, Dated 8/7/10= Rotella T 15w-40 (dyno)
•Column B, Dated 4/10/10= Honda HP4 10w-40 (semi-synthetic)
•Column C, Dated 1/23/10= Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic)

The oil listed in Column A, Rotella T 15w-40 is still in the engine with 3350 miles. I wanted to see how this oil held up in the engine based on South Florida ambient temperatures in the mid 90's.
The high TBN at 6.2 indicates that the oil additives are still very good.
The SUS Viscosity of 68.3 according to Blackstone indicates the oil is still holding its viscosity of 15w-40 and has not sheared down yet like the other oils in columns B and C.
Observations:
I like the oil and its ability to handle peak summer South Florida heat.
I really like how the transmission shifts with minimal clunking and the oil's ability to not shear down so quickly.
However, I will still continue to do oil changes between 4k and 5k.

Attachments

• Blackstone Laboratories Shell Rotella T 15w40 Oil Report 8-11-10.pdf
    18.8 KB · Views: 20
To be honest i believe using the T6 in an engine that has been using mineral oil for many years could wash away deposits and crud in the case, its a known fact that synthetic oil will clean up an engine, i think what is happening is that sludge is then getting into the clutch plates.
I use T6 in every single bike i have from the 1980 CX500 to my 2009 Star 1300, in my GL1500 Goldwings, in my 95 Virago and in my Yamaha Venture Royale. Occasionally like in the summer i add a quart or two of 20-50 Amsoil to the mix, on the older bikes that did use mineral oil i change the oil after a short run of around 500 miles or so after i bought them, oil was dirty even though i had just changed it to synthetic.
On one bike a CX650 i used Seafoam in the oil to help clean it up, owner had left it in too long.

All I use in my cars trucks and bikes

Rotella T In my race cars i use Cam2 motor oil..

Attachments

• Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 55
I tried both Rotella T 15W40 and the T6 full synthetic. My vmax runs better and smoother with the T 15W40. Same results with the Honda Shadow.

I have been using Rotella T 15- 40 for two summer's now, the engine has been running great...smooth and quite shifts...

Sent via the Verizon 4G XLTE System

I have always used Rotella T5 synthetic blend 15w-40 in both of my bikes without any problems. Great oil and a decent price.

If you switch to non-energy-conserving synthetic and your bike has clutch slippage issues, you probably have clutch issues. All of my bikes get Amsoil 15w50 non-bike-specific oil, and my Vmax will put daylight between the front tire and the road on the 1-2 upshift.

'04 Cobra, '94 Caprice SS Wagon
'08 1125R, '05 Speed Triple, '03 Vmax, '98 VFR, '03 DRZ400

If you switch to non-energy-conserving synthetic and your bike has clutch slippage issues, you probably have clutch issues. All of my bikes get Amsoil 15w50 non-bike-specific oil, and my Vmax will put daylight between the front tire and the road on the 1-2 upshift.

'04 Cobra, '94 Caprice SS Wagon
'08 1125R, '05 Speed Triple, '03 Vmax, '98 VFR, '03 DRZ400

Really ? Mine will pull the wheel into orbit on the 2-3 shift for a good 20 yards and (I suppose given the road surface) will spin the rear tire easily. Dunlop Challenger :( Beats me how it has the grip to power up and the lack of grip to allow wheel spin but it looks like something off a 50's John Deere. Very flat aspect ratio and hard to make the bike transition into curves. Any suggestions ? I'm painfully aware of the desperate handling of the Max, my wifes little Bonneville beats me every time :(

Chris

Resurrection... Previous owner of my bike used Amsoil full synthetic so can I use Shell 15w40 such as others stated earlier.

I was told by couple of mechanics including local Yamaha dealer that I should stick to Full synthetic if that's what was used previously...

Please advise

Resurrection... Previous owner of my bike used Amsoil full synthetic so can I use Shell 15w40 such as others stated earlier.

I was told by couple of mechanics including local Yamaha dealer that I should stick to Full synthetic if that's what was used previously...

Please advise

I'm glad blaxmax asked because it stopped a few problems i had.
Go with the rotella 15w40 non synthetic.
Super cheap at tractors supply and that was my first time there too.

Latest posts

Back