Nolan N44 "crossover" helmet

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack current helmet threads, so here's mine -
Has anyone tried one of these?
I've tried several full-face and modular helmets, and hated them all. Too hot, too noisy, too sight restricting.
But my wife is constantly reminding me that I SHOULD PROTECT MY BEAUTIFUL FACE.
Sooooo, I thought I could wear this in the "full-face" mod till I'm out of sight, then remove the chinbar!
Seriously - what are the opinions of this completely convertible type of helmet?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n44/review.htm

Cheers!

I tried one, a Modus, and it was way too loud for me. I also could not ride more than 35-40 mph with the chin up without the wind trying to rip it off my head. You have a windshield so that my not be an issue for you. I ended up not using the flip up portion much except for when stopped and talking to someone.
EDIT: I use full face helmets now, since at best the flip-up helmets will protect you only marginally better than an open face. Sure they are handy and allow a nice bit of air flow around town but don't provide the protection of a full face helmet.

That's why the Shark Evoline is such a good item, you can use it open underway because of it's superior aero qualities. It is rated for use open too. Some have complained about weight. It isn't a problem for me, but you should check it out.
images
images
images

Last edited:
Seriously - what are the opinions of this completely convertible type of helmet?
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/nolan-n44/review.htm

Cheers!

From the same website:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Which Flip-Up Helmet Should I Buy?
This is a frequent question from webBikeWorld visitors. In general, my response is this: I no longer wear flip-up helmets other than for webBikeWorld evaluations.

I've worn many flip-ups -- probably way more than most riders -- brands and models sold in the U.S., Europe and Japan and, in general, I find them to be less comfortable, louder and heavier than full-face helmets, and they have questionable - in my mind - protection.

They also offer no advantage for me for my type of riding. I don't think they have any convenience for me, so I can't justify the issues that I have with them.

I used to wear them because I could fit my eyeglasses underneath, but ever since I discovered the trick of using a cut-down pair of eyeglasses to fit inside any full-face helmet several years ago, I have not found a full-face helmet that doesn't work with the modified glasses, so the only flip-up convenience that might have existed for me was gone.

The only possible advantage I can see in wearing a modular helmet is maybe being able to flip up the visor at a fuel stop. But I fill up all the time with a full-face helmet with no problems.

Is a full-face helmet inconvenient? Maybe...but so are full leathers, back protectors, gloves, race boots... and I wear those all the time. It's part of motorcycling for me.

Other than for the webBikeWorld evaluations, I always wear what I consider to be a high-quality full-face helmet, made by a reputable company. The most important safety factor after meeting the standards, in my opinion, is correct fit. This is absolutely crucial for both safety and comfort. If the helmet doesn't fit correctly, it may not offer the protection it should or could, and abnormal temple or other damage could, in my opinion, easily occur.

And I'd venture to say that most or the majority of riders don't own helmets that fit. I base this on our experience -- we have over 80 helmets here, and I can name only 2 that fit me correctly. Those two were found by accident, in the course of evaluating many, many helmets over the years.

So if this is the case, I can't believe that a single rider who goes into a store and buys one helmet every few years will ever be able to find a really correct fit. I'd even venture to say that most riders don't even know what a correct fit feels like. This is based on the many, many emails we receive on this topic. - Rick K.

That's why the Shark Evoline is such a good item, you can use it open underway because of it's superior aero qualities. It is rated for use open too. Some have complained about weight. It isn't a problem for me, but you should check it out.
Thanks to all, for the replies.
Hey Medic - yes, this Shark helmet is another viable alternative (methinks) ESPECIALLY if the chinbar section is easily removable, making it as convertible as the Nolan. I've read the reviews, didn't see any mention of this.
Being an owner, how much of a hassle would it be to remove/install the chinbar, as opposed to just flicking it back?? What tools would I need?
Cheers!

edit - and is wind noise noticeably reduced, with the chinbar flipped over??

Yes it takes tools to remove but it can be done. Since it works to open/close 1-handed & has the aero ability to run in the open position I am not sure why you wouldn't just use it attached & rotated open. So if you want, yes it can be removed. The helmet is loud w/o the visor (not the chinbar, they operate independently) being down over ~50 mph 88kph but I recall my Bell RT open face helmet was the same way in the 1970's. Back them I usually used a flat 'cometition shield' for eye protection, & Bolla goggles riding off road enduros or hare scrambles. Of course the main advantage is the comfort of an open face helmet easily attained w/1hand but the full-face protection with the chinbar lowered. Yes I found it to be quieter than the Schuberth BMW or the Shoei w/the chinbar in the closed position, in the open position they are all loud if you go fast enough. You just won't go very fast very long in the others because of the aero drag.

Yes it takes tools to remove but it can be done. Since it works to open/close 1-handed & has the aero ability to run in the open position I am not sure why you wouldn't just use it attached & rotated open. So if you want, yes it can be removed. The helmet is loud w/o the visor (not the chinbar, they operate independently) being down over ~50 mph 88kph but I recall my Bell RT open face helmet was the same way in the 1970's. Back them I usually used a flat 'cometition shield' for eye protection, & Bolla goggles riding off road enduros or hare scrambles. Of course the main advantage is the comfort of an open face helmet easily attained w/1hand but the full-face protection with the chinbar lowered. Yes I found it to be quieter than the Schuberth BMW or the Shoei w/the chinbar in the closed position, in the open position they are all loud if you go fast enough. You just won't go very fast very long in the others because of the aero drag.

Thanks for the personal review. I'll now see if any of the local dealers stock them.
Cheers!

A much-cheaper alternative is the AFX FX-55 carried by Parts Unlimited. It does all the things you want and is priced US $153 at revzilla.com.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/afx-fx-55-helmet
afxfx55_helmet_pearl_white_detail.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OkuSeuB4JlA
One suggestion, a white helmet is very noticeable from a long ways-off compared to a black one. All the better for the motorists who are texting, to be able to see you, when they deign to look at the road instead of the electronic screen.

Latest posts

Back