Lithium Polimer Battery.. Anyone running a new one?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AussieDude

Reaction score
Hi guys I did a search and only found a few older posts...
I find my Vmax when its hot and the thermo fans are running will only just start up if it stalls in traffic...
I had similar issues with my XJ550 and fitted a LiPO battery and its been awesome ever since..
Anyone running a LiFePO4 Lithium battery? Does it resolve the hot crank struggles?
They are pretty cheap now and the LiPO dont have the fire risk of the earlier ones..
Thanks in advance

I'm running the Shorai in my 91..

https://shoraipower.com/products?action=vehicle&type=175&make=374681&model=374738&year=374738

4 years now and still cranking strong.
I do remove it to bring in the house during winter storage though.
I made sure that my wiring did not allow for any parasitic drains without the engine running, like a 12v to 5v USB power adapter. (GPS or Cell phone) :eusa_dance:

+1 very good batteries.

I made sure that my wiring did not allow for any parasitic drains without the engine running, like a 12v to 5v USB power adapter.
This is VERY important though, this type battery will not tolerate that type of condition.

Wasn't there a hot start issue related to two brush starters vs newer four brush starters? Its definitely a thing on the Venture side of the fence, I thought I had read about it effecting some early Vmax as well. I did that Goldwing battery box mod and dropped an AGM battery in my 99 and I'm pretty sure it has enough zap to start two bikes.

Wasn't there a hot start issue related to two brush starters vs newer four brush starters? Its definitely a thing on the Venture side of the fence, I thought I had read about it effecting some early Vmax as well. I did that Goldwing battery box mod and dropped an AGM battery in my 99 and I'm pretty sure it has enough zap to start two bikes.

Interesting .... Thanks I will investigate, I would have thought being after the 1993 design changes mine would be OK but who knows what happened in the last 20 odd years I didnt own it.... Hmmmm

What voltage should I expect from it when running? Especially when thermo fans and lights are on together?

Thanks in advance

Interesting .... Thanks I will investigate, I would have thought being after the 1993 design changes mine would be OK but who knows what happened in the last 20 odd years I didnt own it.... Hmmmm

What voltage should I expect from it when running? Especially when thermo fans and lights are on together?

Thanks in advance

Here is a link to the big battery mod, I think it took about 20 minutes and as mentioned, well worth the small bit of effort. http://www.morleysmuscle.com/how-to/large-vmax-battery

Also for running voltage, you should have about 12.5 across the battery key off and around 13.8 running.

I have a $100 Battery Tender Lithium battery from Amazon in mine. (In fact, all 3 bikes in my sig use the exact same battery, and I have one in each bike.) It's small and light, and seems to run at a slightly higher voltage than stock batteries, judging by the cranking speed and idle voltage improvements.

I'd always been an Odyssey battery user until I got started on these Lithium batteries. Check out the size difference between my CB650 battery and the Lithium. It's the same model Lithium used in the Vmax and the Hayabusa.

Attachments

• Battery comparison.jpg
    Battery comparison.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 16
I had the Shorai in my KTM 450sxf. 1st one was junk had to send it back for a replacement. 2nd one didn't impress me as this bike was VERY VERY temperamental to start.
Especially when cold. Must use the bump box for the 1st start of the day when the temps were <30*.
I gave the Shorai to my neighbor for the quad I gave him.
I put a $25 yb7 something in it and it worked just as good if not better and could use a normal tender.
The Max has a odyssey in it that was 2yrs old when I bought it from the PO and it still cranks the piss out of the max. It is hooked up to a tender too.

Latest posts

Back