Thinking of getting a VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardright

Reaction score
Am undecided. The reviews says it is a powerful bike. but it doesn't handle well on slow turns. Never rode one, Very rare these bikes here in the Phihpines. Would appreciate your views.

I am in the Phils. I think mine handles fairly well, but then my other bike is a Harley.

If you do buy one, let me know and will introduce you to the local mechanic if your in Manila.

Also make sure you know if yours is a Japan spec without vboost. Mine was without but I converted to vboost.

good luck.

They're good bikes, as long as you know the limitations they have, and respect those limitations. Also, like with any bike you should take proper care of it. If you do, it will last you a good, long while.

Personally, I think that some reviewers tend to over-exaggerate the poor handling issues. That, or they seem to think it should handle like a sportbike, when it is definitely not one of those.

I think that if you are not at least a little bit mechanically inclined and/or don't have enough money just to pay someone to keep it running properly that it might not be the right bike for you. I have one and have had 2 others. Except for my new 1994 I find them the most temperamental bikes that I've owned and there have been many. I think it's like someone wanting that great big Rottweiler because they heard that they are great guard dogs and they look cool too. If you don't put the extra time and effort in to it, it will become a big disaster and you will wish you bought that Golden Retreiver. I've often thought of selling my Max to get something a little newer, more reliable, better range, etc... Then I go for a ride and think to myself, what the hell else is going to make me feel like this, nothing!
I love the V-max but they are not for everyone.

Matt

The vmax is a hot rod of a bike I find myself tinkering all the time with it but I like too and this forum can help with any problems or up grades to any part of this legend of a bike . Hell even if you rode for a year and sold it you can always brag about riding a badass legend !

They are great bikes. They can be temperamental though. Nothing major as long as it's taken care of. This forum is a lot of help when a problem does arise.

I love my Vmax. The only thing I'd trade it for is probably a gen2 :)

Also, a good set of progressive shocks in the rear and progressive springs in the front forks and some frame braces makes a huge improvement in the handling department.

I some of you guys have hit the nail on the head for a Gen 1. Which is what we are assuming he is looking at.

They handle very good for what they are. They won't win a road course race, but they were never designed to either. Don't go 135 mph in a long sweeper or you will feel the spaghetti flew in the chassis.

Over the road long distance they aren't all that comfortable of a bike stock. You can spend some money on them to make them better, but obviously it's 1985 technology all the way up.to 2007.

Fuel range isn't great either again you can spend some money and get an extended tank.

Power I think most people over exaggerate alot. Yes they have some power, but almost any crusier today has the same power and sport bikes 600 cc have the same or more power. Back in 1985 it had power.... but none the less it's a super fun bike to ride around town stop.light to stop light. That's what it was designed for.

Brakes..... well I guess they stop you if you haven't ridden a new anything bike made in the last 10 years. They do the job fine for what they are.

Ergonomics..... tend to be more towards a shorter person. I would say 5'10" area.

Gauges.... hard to see and lacking. I think most people would agree here that want to ride the bike and not stop light to stop light jog. For city riding, the speedo location is great. The fuel light sucks.

Tires.... get shinko tourmasters. That's the cheapest best upgrade you can do. Will transform the bike into a totally different animal. It will handles, stop and take off better. But they don't last long 5000 miles or so.

Headlight I thought was ok at night. Not super bright like some of today's bike, but more than enough for regular night riding.

Controls... all seem in good normal spots.

Maintenance... I only putzed with mine because I wanted to. My last vmax ran great almost all the time. Once in awhile it needed some attention.

All in all its great fun if you understand it's limits and aren't looking for hayabusa power or zx14 brakes or R6 handling, roadking comfort etc. If you want raw muscle feeling this is a great bike. It gets up and goes strong to about 80 mph, has a bad ass look to it and puts a smile on your face.

In your part of the world I would be afraid of parts availability and knowleagble help.

Good luck

Am undecided. The reviews says it is a powerful bike. but it doesn't handle well on slow turns. Never rode one, Very rare these bikes here in the Phihpines. Would appreciate your views.

A BMW, for it's great rep. doesn't handle slow turns well either. And they have their own quirks, like most bikes. Buy a good one-Vmax, that is turn key and keep it maintained by competent mechanics. You'll be a happy camper. A Gen 2 might be better for you too.

A lot of people will say that the Vmax doesnt handle very well. IT does....for a bike that came out in 85. It is what it is. Even for all of the minus's...and all of its faults....it will put a smile on your face everytime you get on it, and feel the Vboost kick in. Not many motorcycle even 30 years later, can still say it is just a "fun" motorcycle and will still put a smile on your face.

Love mine. It's a 2002 carbon fiber paint. Plenty of power, not for the inexperienced! Makes me feel 18 again. Just my opinion but ear to ear shit eating grin every time I get off it. Like anything it will have some personal mods made to it. Bars, tires, frame and fork brace. Maybe an exhaust and jet kit down the road. If im not on the gas the bike handles fine, aggressive riding will have you quickly challenging your abilities on a stock one. With a few goodies im told these problems are lessened or solved

I have had 0 handling issues with my max. I dont know how this rumor got started or if it only concerns older models.

No issues with my 2002.

I've only had my 94 for about 8 month and am a fair weather rider but I've always wanted one and have no plans to ever get rid of it. I brings a smile to my face every time I take him (Thor) out.

I have had 0 handling issues with my max. I dont know how this rumor got started or if it only concerns older models.

No issues with my 2002.

Charlie,
It really depends on how hard you ride. At around 135 mph going through a highway sweep I could feel the chassis flex and move around. How many times do you do that? Maybe never, maybe alot. So I think it really depends on how people ride. Take alot of bikes to that speed and try and make them handle and you will get the same response most likely.
Now last time in the mountains with Vmax Mike, Beekeeper, Leecifer and Twistedmax, we romped hard and as long as you ride within the bikes means, it handles just fine. Pushing it too far at high speeds is where you feel the torsional twisting. Low speeds, its fine.

I have always been critical of my 07's handling ability, it sure doesn't flick into low speed corners and higher speed bends are downright spooky. I have however recieved some fine advice from the members here as regards setting the stock bike correctly and then as to the better aftermarket add ons to get it to it's optimum. I find (in current form) that slow in and fast out seems to suit my Max best. It's relatively tall engine and high center of gravity promote this idea although it royally pisses off members of my club who have a tendency to almost rear end me under engine braking (Harley's) and are blown away when I gas out of the apex. Other than that it's a blast to ride point to point. As previously mentioned, stock to stock almost any modern litre bike will give a Max more than a run for its money but that's not the point is it ? A V-Max is iconic. A classic and still a great powerhouse to be respected after all these years. I truly believe that the Gen 1 will be one of the great collector bikes of the future. Remember the stupendous Kawasaki KH750 triples of the 70's ? The frame welds were bubble gum, the handling was horrific, brakes ? What brakes but they were lighting quick in a straight line and an eminient bike to have in a collection today commanding some pretty hefty premiums.

Chris

We all should be grateful that the collectors haven't driven-up the prices. This has to be one of the most iconic bikes to arrive from Japan. The look outlasted all of its competition, and there really wasn't any competition in it's genre, none that was able to withstand the test of time. I'd say the Kawi 1000 Eliminator for power and the Honda 1100 Magna for all-round use were the strongest competition, but they all faded-away. And how-iconic is it? Well, look at a V-Rod and tell me where they got that look!

I started riding bikes before there was a UJM, Honda's biggest bike was a 450 cc paint-shaker, and Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawi (except for the W-1) didn't produce four-strokes. The Honda SOHC 750 and the Kawi Z-1, H-1 and H-2 were the 'big news' of the day when each was released. When the VMax came-out it was like those days, "how are they gonna top this?" With a production run longer than Ford's Model T, the VMax has its own place in the list of iconic bikes of it's time.

Yes, they seem to be a bit fussy, but how-many of its contemporary competition do you see still standing? And, for all the hand-wringing over its handling, some well-thought-out changes, admittedly w/a significant price tag, will make it much-better. Radial tires (requiring at-least a new rear wheel), front springs, rear shocks, upgraded brakes, that will substantially-improve the VMax's road manners.

Think of how-unhappy we would all be if the collectors drove-up the prices! You can still find a runner for $2K, and basket cases for ~$500. At those prices, you can afford to have a parts bike, or two done in different styles. Storage space and insurance are probably the two determining factors there, those, and the family's needs. Still, for a total investment of say, $6K in rolling stock, you could have two VMaxes and that's about the price of a new scooter these days. One's down, needs maintenance? Ride the other! Think of it as, motorcycle polygamy.

We're here because we enjoy the ride, and we try to do a lot of the maintenance, repairs, and mods to keep our bikes useable and safe. Is the hassle worth it? Tell me that after you come-back from the first long ride of spring, where you stretched the throttle cables and felt that VBoost again and again. It just makes you want to go out and have another VMax/VBoost experience.

Sure, modern 600 cc sportbikes are capable of similar performance, but whacking open that throttle and feeling the VBoost is one of the great experiences in motorcycling. And when you're at a bike night, or daytime bike event, how many times do you find yourself answering questions about your 25 year-old bike? Everybody knows, "50% of the 1985 riders are dead now, because of the bike" and other apocryphal tales of VMax-dom.

Collectors probably are only interested in unmolested 1985's anyway so you 20th anniversary guys can relax, unless you thought your purchase would result in a five-figure payday on resale in a couple years after purchase. My advice to you is, get a better financial planner, and go for a ride. Let the VBoost give you the reason you probably should be interested in owning it anyway.

Unless you go wild w/the mods, you can probably return a significant amount of your investment should you choose to sell. That USD fork and $$$ engine mods are probably lost $$$, so enjoy it while you have it, and when you choose to go to something else, you can always say, "I had the VMax, King of the Road!"

Maybe a used Gen II will be that next bike?

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/yamaha-v-max.aspx

images
images
images
images
images
images

Am amazed with the response and the obvious kindred spirit you all have with the Max. Thank you all for sharing this. Am actually looking at a brand new 2014 Max. If ever, it will be my first Japanese bike.

Wow! I'm amazed at myself and also that nobody else even went there or thought of asking. That makes the response very easy. Absolutely yes! get one. I've only test ridden a couple but I can tell you that they are incredible and I would have one in a heartbeat if they weren't $30,000 + here in Australia. A 4 year old one will cost you $20,000+.

P.S. The new ones (version 2) do handle very well, not a sport bike but not far off except for the more extreme.

Matt

Latest posts

Back