PC Upgrade GTX 1080 with old processor? PC guys?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If ya'll where close you'd be welcome to try it!

Be careful what you offer! LOL. My better half is from Tampa area and tries to get down there once a year at least to visit family and friends. I may tag along next time. :)

I played and raided in WoW until level 70 and then went on to run PvP to level 90, but haven't played in years. It was a lot of fun but too much of a time sink for me.
I would love to play a new machine, my WoW machine was pretty basic, the GPU could only run 30 FPS so the graphic intensive fights were not great.

WoW has subtlety updated their graphics with each expansion pack. The game still has its distinct visual style, but there is a lot more detail within it. So it's a bit more taxing on PCs. Blizzard has always had a pretty good track record with their games running on older systems(compared to other developers), but a PC that struggled at times years ago would definitely struggle today even more.

Legion is probably the best expansion they've ever done. From a lore/narrative perspective WoTLK will always be my personal fav because the Lich King is just such an iconic villain. Far more cooler to me than Gul'dan and the Burning Legion. But with Legion they added artifact weapons which just about everyone loves from my experience. They added a lot of Diablo 3 mechanics into WoW as well. Such as Diablo 3 Adventure mode is now WoW's World Quest system. Diablo 3's Rift levels is WoW's Mythic+ Dungeon System. They've added a slew of Legendary items that drop randomly from various sources. But they limit you on how many legendaries you can equip.

The "end-game" zone called Suramar is one of the best things they've ever done in WoW. And some of their raid fights have been really fun and interesting. Ulduar is still probably my favorite raid they've ever done though.

Be careful what you offer! LOL. My better half is from Tampa area and tries to get down there once a year at least to visit family and friends. I may tag along next time. :)

You are welcome to!

I just felt I should throw an update here since I have upgraded the CPU/MB. I survived well on the AMD 1090 processor, even in 4k gaming all the Far Cry 3-4, Ghost Recon amd wreckfest (fun!) Played well at 4k. On some games I could feel slight bottlenecking when things got really busy on screen but still fluid and very playable. I purchased Far Cry 5 and I could not run it, or even start it with the old processor. The prospect of not savoring the latest Far Cry is obviously not acceptable. Oh well, it was time, that Athlon owed me nothing and served well into obsolescence. Im definately an AMD guy now. I kept my GTX1080 and PSU, and upgraded to a Ryzen 1700x, some giant CM duel fan cooler, 16g Corsair 3000 DDR 4 and an MSI 370 Gamer Plus MB. I slipped it all into a new new mid tower preloaded with a fuckload of fans. First obvious change is how stupid quiet it is. Its so quiet now that for the first time I can hear the fans in my sub amp running. So far I tried Ghost Recon and I cant slow it down, even with all settings on max at 4k. I had to come to town to download the FC5 patch and wont get to try it until after work Friday. I decided to buy NGbeam.drive, wolfenstien 2 same time. Anxiously awaiting going home and testing it out. It sure gobbled up what I threw at it before I got here. My clients internet is like 40mps and she was gracious enough to permit me using it for updating my machine. My homeDSL is LESS THAN 1 MPS. Thats right, less than a single mps. It took me several days to DL FC5 only to find it would not even start. One other word of warning is the Ryzen does not allow a windows7 install so I begrudgingly went after a win10 Home OS. There is a workaround to get win7 but time was a factor and it didnt want to cooperate. Pete was kind enough to direct me to some resources to counter some of the bloat and privacy violations of 10. The hardware part cost just over $650 from Newegg, including the tower. seems like money well spent so far. I'm gonna put the screws to it but good this weekend since it looks like rain! My internet is so painfully slow that online gaming is out of the Q for anything north of POE. All my old hardware is going to be a 2k gaming comp in the loft for some LAN play.

Just a side note on hardware prices. It was about a year ago I got the GTX1080, I paid in the neighborhood of $660USD for it, and as I was shopping for this latest hardware I noticed the very same card was going for $300+ more than I paid then. I noticed because I get everything from NewEgg and saw my Hx. Not often we see prices go up on current hardware, usually prices drop pretty fast. Cryptocurrancy mining maybe?

Latest posts

Back