Boy did I screw up. Could use some ideas.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Before you guys blast me, I know I screwed up. Don't know why I was successful on three carbs and I failed on one.

What did I do?

Several years ago, I removed (3 of the 4) mixture screw plugs in my '94. I was only partially successful on the 4th. Yeah, I now know the proper technique, but unfortunately I didn't go that route.

IMG_0266_zpsd5264495.jpg

So, any ideas on getting out what's remaining of the 4th plug? There's about 1/4" of material left with about a half a millimeter less diameter than the bore of the screw gallery. Basically it's a 1/4" cylinder with an off-center bore in the bottom of the hole.

I've tried grabbing it with a coarse thread machine screw. I've half-heartedly attempted to "fold" the cylinder inward so I can grab it with a probe.

Neither worked, but I'm leary of putting too much pressure on it for fear of driving the screw into the seat.

Ideas?

I just recently fixed a lathe that one of my wonderful students broke. I used a left hand twist drill. Turn it counter clockwise in your cordless drill. Worked perfect.
Be sure to use penetrating oil first and center punch what is left of the screw.
Good luck and don't go too deep.

Lew

I successfully drilled a couple of mine out before using a bit about half the size of a mix screw. Just need to be very careful and do not too deep. once you get through the main body, pick the parts out with a "pick" carefully and the threads shouldn't get damaged. Worked well for me.

You could try it yourself, but i think i would play it safe and send it off to Morley for repair!

Those are pretty simple to get out with the above mentioned drills. There is no real pressure on them and they usually just come right out.

Todd

Tip: Find something to go over the drill bit to keep it exactly centered in the bore. I found this vacuum line fitting in my toolbox that worked perfectly.

IMAG0046_zpsfe10aecc.jpg

Once you've drilled into the screw a little ways, you may have some luck with a screw extractor tool. I chose this one as I didn't want the left-handed screw in type - I was afraid it would put too much expansion pressure on the soft metals.

IMAG0045_zps0bd559a1.jpg

Wow!!!! some of you guys could be great heart surgeons I'd bet!!

No kidding! I appreciate the suggestions. I'll move on them soon. (The good news is that the bike is running well after synching only. Just a little off-idle stumble now.

Thanks again, guys!

The left hand wound drill worked for me. first I drilled a center with a 1/4" left hand drill. with this accurate center I used a smaller left wound drill and the threaded porthion came right out. Then I fished out the needle and washer, spring and o ring. which were dissconnected with the first small drilling.

I've posted this elsewhere and here is a good place to as well. After several successes and one failure with my drills I have recently got out three very badly corroded in needles. It seems the spring metal, the aluminum, and brass all electro weld themselves together nicely with the electrolyte (water) from that damn ethanol gasoline. I disassembled the carbs, put upside down, used a map gas torch to heat up where the brass threads are from outside the carb. With penetrating oil soak, lots of back and forth motion, all three came out. Otherwise I was going to have to drill again, and after my one failure I am glad there is another way, and its way easier anyway.

Latest posts

Back