Cold Starting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trondyne

Reaction score
Well the temps are super low here....and Max has been having trouble starting...due to the thickened oil stopping the starter clutch from engaging....

Question: Would it be safe to use a 50/50 mix of 10 weight oil with 5 weight oil?

Someone suggested that 10 weight is the lowest weight oil that it should be running...and that a synthetic oil would be better for the cold starting problem...

I figure there must be others out there running in these cold temps...what are you using to keep Max running in sub freezing temps?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

It has a hard time cranking or it won't light off?
Is the battery on a tender?

Keeping the battery on a trickle charger helps. Keeps the battery warm (relative) for a little boost on cranking.

Well, the problem isn't electrical...

It's the starter clutch.... Same trouble I have had with at least two other bikes in the cold... The starter clutch is soaking in cold oil so when you try to start it the small rods or teeth don't have a chance to deploy and grab the outer housing of the starter clutch to turn over the engine....which results in a whine as the starter spins freely... hence my mentioning the oil weight... Anyone starting the bike after sitting in zero degree temps would likely experience the same trouble...

You can use a lower viscosity oil (xxW30) when the temp is very low.
Don't forget to swap back to (xxW40) at spring/summer. :thumbs up:

So this morning checked both bikes (9 degrees out). The one with 15-40 Rotella I intended to ride cranked fine but the seal in the clutch master blew out. The other max with 20-50 Kendall experienced the whirring and finally rolled over after a few attempts.

So this morning checked both bikes (9 degrees out). The one with 15-40 Rotella I intended to ride cranked fine but the seal in the clutch master blew out. The other max with 20-50 Kendall experienced the whirring and finally rolled over after a few attempts.

Interesting...

I had the bike picked up and they said the starter clutch was "shot"... I tried starting it in the shop and sure enough, even with the higher temps in the shop it would start to turn over and then let go and spin.... Funny since it worked with no problems for the last two months since I have owned the bike...but I know they do fail...

So, I checked with the local Yamaha place and after waiting and listening to the owner wrestling with the computer for 20 minutes, he said they had Zero starter clutches in stock...

What a shocker... :ummm:

So, the shop ordered one and will put it in asap... Do you guys think I need to tell them to use red thread lock when installing? I want no more trouble with this naturally...

Do you guys think I need to tell them to use red thread lock when installing? I want no more trouble with this naturally...

Have them clean the bolts threads and thread holes with acetone 1st,, then red locktite, then peen the bolt ends into the flywheel.

I did mine about 3-4 months ago now.. I actually let the locktite setup for 24 hours before peening the bolts.. Just to make sure the bolt didn't shift at all during the peening process. But that's just me being anal,, since I don't plan on going back in there any time soon.:eusa_dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2uqNnRwCw&t=23s

Have them clean the bolts threads and thread holes with acetone 1st,, then red locktite, then peen the bolt ends into the flywheel.

I did mine about 3-4 months ago now.. I actually let the locktite setup for 24 hours before peening the bolts.. Just to make sure the bolt didn't shift at all during the peening process. But that's just me being anal,, since I don't plan on going back in there any time soon.:eusa_dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2uqNnRwCw&t=23s

Well, I can try.... Although I have some doubts that they or he would be very receptive to all those instructions....assuming that he/they even fully understood them...

The head mech is very sure of himself... Even when he told me his stock CB750K weighed in at 700 pounds... which, of course, is way off...

It took me 5 years to find these guys who do decent work and don't overcharge... But I guess I need to keep looking....

I figure there must be others out there running in these cold temps...what are you using to keep Max running in sub freezing temps?

Any suggestions are appreciated...

I'm using Castrol 10W-40 oil.

I've also got a maintenance free battery on a trickle charger and have the COPS modification. No problems whatsoever. Started it with -2 degrees Celius this morning.

Some synthetic oils have been known to cause the starter clutch to slip (cool weather notably), even if the clutch isn't loose or damaged.

Mine would still occasionally miss in cold weather, even after taking it apart and tightening/loctite the bolts with Mobil 1. Switched to rotella and it never had an issue again for 10s of thousands of miles.

I would say that having a good battery that is fully charged is the best help. I like the Odyssey PC680 myself.

X2 on the Odyssey PC680
The battery in my bike was bought 2yrs before I bought the bike off the guy.
I keep it on a tender and it works perfectly.

Latest posts

Back