Seat residue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1FK00

Reaction score
The seat on my 2003 has a white powdery residue that I can't get rid of. It wipes off easily with no trace left, but after 2 or 3 days of inactivity, it starts to show up again in a small area. After a week it covers the whole seat. It doesn't smell and the vinyl(?) is soft and supple. Like I said once wiped off, the seat looks perfectly normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

The seat on my 2003 has a white powdery residue that I can't get rid of. It wipes off easily with no trace left, but after 2 or 3 days of inactivity, it starts to show up again in a small area. After a week it covers the whole seat. It doesn't smell and the vinyl(?) is soft and supple. Like I said once wiped off, the seat looks perfectly normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

sounds like mold. Any spots in the seat that would have allowed moister under the seat cover and couldn't fully dry? just a thought. My 85 has a bit of a whiter look to it but its just dried out, or at least thats what it looks like. You might look into moisture trappage and try drying it out? Same thing happens in attics that aren't properly vented.

The seat was high and dry over the winter and it still comes back. Maybe it needs some kind of conditioner but I don't want a slippery seat.

The seat was high and dry over the winter and it still comes back. Maybe it needs some kind of conditioner but I don't want a slippery seat.

take a pic next time it occurs. when you said it starts out smaller and eventually is on the whole seat makes me think mold or mildew. try wiping it off with a fungicide next time and see if it is gone for longer maybe? 15/1 water to bleach mix should kill any spores if it is and not damage seat. or some x14 mold killer stuff. of course if you are certain it is dry then it probably is something else ??

No, just the vinyl.

The seat has endured sitting in the sun and sub zero cold, so I don't think it's a mold or fungus. It has had the odd drop of gas from a sloppy hose, but all my bikes have had that.

The first time I hit the Boost on my '85', I left some residue on my seat.. Don't remember it being white, though..

I use a McQuires leather treatment in my car, works well and doesnt make it slippery or artificially shiny. Not tried anything on the bike seat but as soon as I find something to help with the pucker marks I'll be happy.

This is after a couple of days sitting idle. It will expand to cover the whole seat in a few more days. The lightest of swipes with a finger will wipe it off as you can see.
N2U79ie.jpg

This is after a couple of days sitting idle. It will expand to cover the whole seat in a few more days. The lightest of swipes with a finger will wipe it off as you can see.
N2U79ie.jpg

If it was me that would drive me nuts as I am sure it is doing the same for you. I hope maybe someone here will help you figure it out, if it was me that seat would be shipped to Sean and have it redone.

Sure it costs money however I put dollar value on stress and if I can fix it by replacing it rather than trying to figure it out i would do it in a minute. That's just me though, I hope you figure it out or replace it, I am sure you must be very frustrated about it. It might help you to peel the seat cover back enough to see what is going on under the seat cover.

Good Luck !

I'd try wiping it down with a clorox solution, or some type of a good mold killer. maybe a few times. It has to be something down in the seat foam.

Are you possitive your shop is not extra humid? Since it appears to form on top of the seat cover maybe it is an external issue. Place a t shirt or a sheet over seat or intire bike and see if it still forms. With the seat covered and it still happening you could rule out external conditions I would think.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Actually may be the opposite. Some of my PU turns whitish when it dries out. Its the plastic slowly disintegrating and turning powdery because little moisture in the air.

I would try some conditioner that wont be slippery after application.

If its not too much hassle for you pull some staples or rivets as both can easily be reinstalled without any ill affect on either side of the area and try to feel for humidity or dampness inside the seat. If you do find it damp leave said area open to allow fresh dry air to circulate and dry up. Staple back together. Youll still want to know what the source of the water is though. Perhaps a water leak in the garage or just plain humidity. Depending on wether its parked outside overnite or not. Hope this helps.

Not sure where the dampness would come from, it's dry in the garage. This time of year the humidity is low around here.

I will try a conditioner of some sort.

As a test, without covering anything, get some of those Silica packs and place them on the seat. after a few days, see if the silica pack has eliminated any moisture around it.. That way you'll know for certain that its moisture causing your issues. A small perforated bag of rice works well also.perf bag.jpg

Still gettin residue on the seat?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I think it has to be the foam under your seat cover so you'll do yourself a favor and pull it back and take a good look at the foam. Like they said above it isn't hard to staple the cover back on.

Latest posts

Back