Search Function....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, I know this site is very small and limited amount of people.

There is some comradery amongst us as well as a super small percentage of new members everyone.

I guess my question, since I see the same questions over and over and over again..... does anybody use the search function?

I am going to pick on the rotella post, there are seven pages that have Rotella mentioned in it. They may not all be 100% about Rotella, but just glancing at a few, they offer the same information.

I see HELP!!! Carb issues.... and the response is shotgun or peashooter.... 16 pages involving carbs if you do a serach....

I know its easy to just ask a question and try and get an answer, but I just want to be brutally honest.... its a MAJOR turn off for new members.

On the other vmax sites, I ve talked with people and the main reason they left, or didnt join was because its the same thing over and over again.... I know the bikes been around for 22 years with virtually no changes (yes I know the changes, I am saying no major changes) so there isn't going to be much new talk.

But just curious how others feel about seeing the same post repeated all the time?

I know on some of the other forums I am on, people wont answer it and just tell you to search it out on the forum, or send you a link to the thread that pertains to your question.

:ummm:

Doesn't bother me a bit.

When I first explored this site, I was completely new to internet forums altogether, and so, I had no idea that search functions existed. I asked. People answered. And someone INVITED ME TO BRING MY AILING VMAX TO EUREKA SPRINGS, AR. Life hasn't been the same, for me, since. What a great group we have here.

There is always this section that handles most of the frequently asked questions so newcomers could just go here and maybe some do?
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=50
The age old oil debate will have people asking questions until the end of time, I just choose to ignore them most times but sometimes I wade right on in, however foolishly.
However, while I see some one and done new posters, the overall the tone of posters on this forum are informative and helpful to new Vmax owners, some of which are doing procedures they would have never attempted on their own. I don't have any issues with helping a newcomers "along the path to learning about the Vmax". More often than not I am learning right along with them!

Nor I.
By the way, Todd, what are good tires to put on a Max????:biglaugh:

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON !!!! LOL :rofl_200:

There is always this section that handles most of the frequently asked questions so newcomers could just go here and maybe some do?
http://www.vmaxforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=50
The age old oil debate will have people asking questions until the end of time, I just choose to ignore them most times but sometimes I wade right on in, however foolishly.
However, while I see some one and done new posters, the overall the tone of posters on this forum are informative and helpful to new Vmax owners, some of which are doing procedures they would have never attempted on their own. I don't have any issues with helping a newcomers "along the path to learning about the Vmax". More often than not I am learning right along with them!

I guess so not to be misunderstood, I am not saying I am frustrated, I just talked with people recently and it was a subject brought up. The reason is that nothing is new on this forum. Its all old rehashed stuff.

I learned alot here myself. I use the search button more and more though because it saves time and I usually get better answers sometimes because that one person that is no longer a member, or doesnt see the post, contributed prior and it was good commentary.

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON !!!! LOL :rofl_200:

I guess so not to be misunderstood, I am not saying I am frustrated, I just talked with people recently and it was a subject brought up. The reason is that nothing is new on this forum. Its all old rehashed stuff.

I learned alot here myself. I use the search button more and more though because it saves time and I usually get better answers sometimes because that one person that is no longer a member, or doesnt see the post, contributed prior and it was good commentary.
\
I agree, not much new to discover here with the Vmax that a good search wouldn't bring a plethora of helpful posts. I read a lot when I first got on here which coincided with the purchase of my Vmax. Luckily I did not need a lot of troubleshooting help early on but reading and getting involved at the meets helped me immensely along the path of being a Vmax wrench turner. I'm for sure just a shade tree mechanic but I learned a lot from reading and of course looking at bunches of pictures.

Todd do you need a sneakers lol I can say I have ruined my eye sight reading old threads but maybe newbies just want to fit in by asking questions I see nothing wrong with striking up a conversation about oil or tires . You and others have the option of not opening the thread or answering any questions The search function is a very valuable tool that's for sure !

I think RaWarrior's post will answer many of the newbies' questions, so I often post its link. Seeing as how it's the first one in Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240
maybe you should appoint yourself as Greeter of Repetitive Questions Newbies, and just post it wherever you see the same-old, same-old.

Let me propose this: the millennials would rather ask Suri, post the same question asked hundreds of times here, or anywhere, or google something than invest the time to find-out something on their own. That's how they are wired. That's how we allow them to act. Is it any surprise this is how they behave? Post the RaWarrior link, and let them find their own answer, by investing time to read and to learn.

Try reading on your own, kids, it makes you hip!
images

I don't mind it, as I rarely post but do absorb as much knowledge as I can. I do know how to search, and have many times, but still am unsure of the best oil for my Max.....CC- any suggestions? :biglaugh:

I think RaWarrior's post will answer many of the newbies' questions, so I often post its link. Seeing as how it's the first one in Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240
maybe you should appoint yourself as Greeter of Repetitive Questions Newbies, and just post it wherever you see the same-old, same-old.

Let me propose this: the millennials would rather ask Suri, post the same question asked hundreds of times here, or anywhere, or google something than invest the time to find-out something on their own. That's how they are wired. That's how we allow them to act. Is it any surprise this is how they behave? Post the RaWarrior link, and let them find their own answer, by investing time to read and to learn.

Try reading on your own, kids, it makes you hip!
images

I do notice that huge trend. If you just ask you are less likely to retain. But if you figure it on your own you usually remember it.

Corel draw x6..... I don't use it enough and have problems, I Google it all the time and then see the same answers I saw before and realize my god..... I am one of "them" lol..... hahaha

Actually it's quite amazing how many new members we get every day. Almost every day I have at LEAST 4 new member requests to approve....that adds up quick! Most of them don't post right away and I believe they are studying up on the questions they have. Others may post on topics that have been answered many times over, but probably think that what they have read doesn't necessarily answer their question directly.

Actually it's quite amazing how many new members we get every day. Almost every day I have at LEAST 4 new member requests to approve....that adds up quick! Most of them don't post right away and I believe they are studying up on the questions they have. Others may post on topics that have been answered many times over, but probably think that what they have read doesn't necessarily answer their question directly.
+1, if you are new to working on motorcycles by either just getting into the sport or only ever had new bikes but always wanted a Vmax may force new Vmax owners into doing the work themselves or getting raped by a dealer who may not know the Vmax well. I would dare say that there are a lot of Vmax owners that are doing their own maintenance after reading information from either here or another website. I feel a lot of their questions arise from trying to understand what others have posted and how to actually do the work.

Just out of curiosity, I know this site is very small and limited amount of people.

There is some comradery amongst us as well as a super small percentage of new members everyone.

I guess my question, since I see the same questions over and over and over again..... does anybody use the search function?

I am going to pick on the rotella post, there are seven pages that have Rotella mentioned in it. They may not all be 100% about Rotella, but just glancing at a few, they offer the same information.

I see HELP!!! Carb issues.... and the response is shotgun or peashooter.... 16 pages involving carbs if you do a serach....

I know its easy to just ask a question and try and get an answer, but I just want to be brutally honest.... its a MAJOR turn off for new members.

On the other vmax sites, I ve talked with people and the main reason they left, or didnt join was because its the same thing over and over again.... I know the bikes been around for 22 years with virtually no changes (yes I know the changes, I am saying no major changes) so there isn't going to be much new talk.

But just curious how others feel about seeing the same post repeated all the time?

I know on some of the other forums I am on, people wont answer it and just tell you to search it out on the forum, or send you a link to the thread that pertains to your question.

:ummm:

Wish I had seen this post earlier! I disagree and say it is NOT a turn off for new members but more of a reassurance that if they happen to ask the "wrong" question, they won't get attacked by a mob of regular members. I've been on enough forum that are like this, to a point where a new member never contributes and usually never comes back because they are afraid to ask a question. My goal was to make this forum opposite of that type of forum and to create an atmosphere where people didn't post in fear. Early on it required a lot of use of the ban hammer :biglaugh: but it wouldn't bother me if the next 10 new users asked the exact same question. I'd answer it (or hyper link a thread with the answer in it) and casually hyper link the URL to the Search function. I'll admit that the search function in this software is not the best, so I can see some may want to avoid it. Any ways answering newbs repetitive questions encourages them to participate in the forum. I've seen quite a few new members become productive members helping out with answering questions. I believe this happened because they were never shit on for asking a question or told to use the Search function. This forum has matured into a community where guys will send you parts for free if you crash, or free to see if you diagnosed a problem right, or lend you specialty tools for no cost! Really, how many forums are you on that will do that? Most if you asked for a free tool to use will tell you to GFY! So all newbs, post your questions, I will answer it! :punk: I actually get more upset when people post in the wrong area, but that's just my hangup! :biglaugh:

I come from a bunch of other forums where people get yelled at or people just post "use the search button". It makes me not want to post or find some super creative way to ask about something simple. This is especially true when the thread that shows up in the search function is 86 pages long. I think this is the best forum for noobs. The welcome I got, and the kindness of all the guys here has gotten me through a lot of issues. What buster said about getting fleeced by dealers is especially true for us, too. I just talked to a guy today who used to work for a yamaha dealer. He even said, "I hope you never take your carbs to a dealer still on the bike. It's $1200 to go through them." I've had Danny do carbs for me three times including basically building me a whole new set, and I'm just barely above half that. I say let new people ask away. Everyone's gotta learn somewhere.

Wish I had seen this post earlier! I disagree and say it is NOT a turn off for new members but more of a reassurance that if they happen to ask the "wrong" question, they won't get attacked by a mob of regular members. I've been on enough forum that are like this, to a point where a new member never contributes and usually never comes back because they are afraid to ask a question. My goal was to make this forum opposite of that type of forum and to create an atmosphere where people didn't post in fear. Early on it required a lot of use of the ban hammer :biglaugh: but it wouldn't bother me if the next 10 new users asked the exact same question. I'd answer it (or hyper link a thread with the answer in it) and casually hyper link the URL to the Search function. I'll admit that the search function in this software is not the best, so I can see some may want to avoid it. Any ways answering newbs repetitive questions encourages them to participate in the forum. I've seen quite a few new members become productive members helping out with answering questions. I believe this happened because they were never shit on for asking a question or told to use the Search function. This forum has matured into a community where guys will send you parts for free if you crash, or free to see if you diagnosed a problem right, or lend you specialty tools for no cost! Really, how many forums are you on that will do that? Most if you asked for a free tool to use will tell you to GFY! So all newbs, post your questions, I will answer it! :punk: I actually get more upset when people post in the wrong area, but that's just my hangup! :biglaugh:
++1 That's the exact reason I love this forum.

I am only going on what previous members and people that said they would have joined..... this was on another vmax site just fyi....

Its not my opinion necessarily, but more what was being voiced.

This is a great forum for the most part. Its a very small forum, and that makes it easier to police and keep clean.

I am on a few forums with over 250,000 ACTIVE users, not just signed up people that visit once and never come back. And those can be utter chaos. I rarely go there, but there are good people there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back