VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markmax

Reaction score
So what kind of oil do most people run in their max. I did my first service at the shop where I got the bike, but plan on doing most of them myself. Just wondered if there was a specific type of oil out there that is better then others? I've read on a FZR sight I still go to that people there like synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50. Any thought on it?

Re: Motorcycle Oils vs. Automotive Oils

markmax said:
So what kind of oil do most people run in their max. I did my first service at the shop where I got the bike, but plan on doing most of them myself. Just wondered if there was a specific type of oil out there that is better then others? I've read on a FZR sight I still go to that people there like synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50. Any thought on it?
It's pretty much up to you how much money you want to spend for things not needed. Others will disagree strongly with me but first of all Yamaha does NOT specify to use anything other than good quality car oil. Also there was a writeup done recently on all the different oils and what's best. They concluded that there is no one oil any better than the next, of the major brands. It doesn't have to be synthetic or bike specific oil. Usually people will want to be extra good to their bike and hear that the more expensive oils are better. Bull, just go by the manual because it was written by those that know what they are talking about and not some back yard mechanic that's superstitious. Just my opinion.

I use Castrol "Act-evo" 10w-40 in both my bikes. Changed at the end of each riding season before putting them up for the winter. There is about 4 to 5 months when is a bit iffy here. I just can't see leaving any used oil in the bike over winter.
Just my opnion,
Lew

I'm gonna start using Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 full synthetic, because I can get it free from work!!!

I think it all depends on how much and what kind of riding one does, I am sure using synthetic will not prolong the engine life to 200k , for me stop and go riding, short distances, hard acceleration & deceleration make me think I need all the protection I can get from oil, I use amsoil.
But when time comes for an engine rebuild all components will be changed whether they are worn off or not, unless you want a mickey mouse job and don't mind opening the engine several times.
one thing I noticed is when I started using K&N air filter the oil gets dirty much faster than when using the stock air filter:confused2: I always felt that K&N filter upper lip does not seal like the foam on the stock filter.
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited:

Motorcycle consumer news did a test a few years ago and bascially found no significant difference between any of the oils out there. There findings (which should be able to be found on their website) simply stated to change the oil regularly.

Sean Morley

one2dmax said:
Motorcycle consumer news did a test a few years ago and bascially found no significant difference between any of the oils out there. There findings (which should be able to be found on their website) simply stated to change the oil regularly.

Sean Morley
This information should be posted for all to see so the BEST OIL myth can be dispelled once and for all. Perhaps we need a place (FAQ?) to clarify a few untruths about the Max where new members can inform themselves and know they are getting the straight scoop. The Furbur Fix is another confusing and down right wrong way to fix the real problem and who hasn't heard of the dreaded "0" ring problem? I was hoping that Sean would find the time to look deeper into this situation, since he works on a lot of Max engines and is a strait shooter. Life is tough enough without chasing ghosts.

I agree. A FAQ or solution section for common problems would be most helpful.

I agree with Sean on this.I use castrol gtx 20w50.I get it at walmart in 5 quart jugs for $8.I change it often.

Looks like it was 2003 january and february in MCNews magazines. I don't have the copies with me here at work but you may be able to get them to pull up on the net.

On a side note,

I finally pulled one engine apart that the o-ring was still in place on. Of course the only problem with it was the transmission which was wasted. The rest of the engine is fine.

Sean Morley

markmax said:
Here's some stuff to read if you have time or just want to waste some time at work. :eusa_dance: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Happy reading! :bash0000:

It is like anything else we get taken advantage of, like a pill that will make you 10 years younger, or vitamins that will make an 80 year old men have better sex life. If I bought the bike old/used then I might have used the cheap auto oil but like anything when we buy new we have a tendency to try to take care of it the best way we can.
all I know is that cars do not have engine and transmission using the same oil so naturally the demand and stress on the oil is much greater than in a motorcycle so I'll still use amsoil synthetic just to make me feel better:confused2:
________
buy vapir vaporizer

Last edited:

I run Amsoil in all my vehicles. But I'm kind of anal about such things.
(According to Mrs. Vmx12s)

I use delvac diesel engine oil. It's synthetic, it's cheaper than synthetic oil made for gas engines, has a nice additive package(lots of moly and such), and is safe to use in gas engines that do not have a catalytic converter. (the additives in diesel engine oils have slippery metals that lubricate well but kill catalytic converters)

Go to Bobistheoilguy.com for more than you ever want to know about oil (motor oil forum)

ViciousCycle said:
I use delvac diesel engine oil. It's synthetic, it's cheaper than synthetic oil made for gas engines, has a nice additive package(lots of moly and such), and is safe to use in gas engines that do not have a catalytic converter. (the additives in diesel engine oils have slippery metals that lubricate well but kill catalytic converters)

Go to Bobistheoilguy.com for more than you ever want to know about oil (motor oil forum)

I used shell rottella 5-40 Diesel and was very happy with it, it made the engine & shifting much smoother than even amsoil but being anal about what kind of oil I decided to go with a motorcycle specific oil and went back to amsoil.

Lots of moly is BAD for the clutch and will shorten its life, yes diesel oils have a more hefty detergent additives.
shell synthetic rottella @ $13 a gallon vs amsoil @ $8.50 a quart is it worth it? I really don't know.
I have 28K of daily surface street riding and LOTS of shifting with no hint of clutch slipping! so I guess I am doing something right.
________
volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited:

I currently have Amsoil in my FZ1. I can't really tell any difference in any way from dino juice. I will likely go back to my old method. I do a large number of short trips on my bikes, so am pretty hard on the oil. I will begin again to change the oil every 2k and the filter every other time. I'll use dino juice (auto) w/ no friction modifers. If it's available, I usually pick Rotella T because it's a 15-40 weight for a little extra protection.

The MCN articles were very good. Couldn't find it on their website w/ a quick check.

I just took a sample of the amsoil after 3k it gets dark but its viscosity is really as good as it went in.
________
buy silver surfer

Last edited:

Well, I ran normal "car" grade 20-50 in the max over the summer. I lost less oil and the bike did stay a bit cooler. Though I've been slightly concerned that I might blow some seals running the oil that thick.

So far, it's been fine. However, I'll be swithcing back to a lighter blend now that fall is on it's way and it's getting cooler.

I've felt no difference at all in the clutch in any of my oil changes.

Calimus said:
Well, I ran normal "car" grade 20-50 in the max over the summer. I lost less oil and the bike did stay a bit cooler. Though I've been slightly concerned that I might blow some seals running the oil that thick.

So far, it's been fine. However, I'll be swithcing back to a lighter blend now that fall is on it's way and it's getting cooler.

I've felt no difference at all in the clutch in any of my oil changes.
I'm running same as you and will also change to perhaps 10-40 over the winter. You shouldn't worry about the thickness of the oil. I notice no difference in pressure on my oil gage and you know yourself that when the oil is cold, it will act like a 20 wt, which is not too heavy for warm weather months and the 50 wt is a plus when it gets hot. In the future I plan on sticking with a 10-40 for all year driving and will only use a good brand of car oil. The "old man" drives with 20-50 all year, but then he lives in ahhhhhh what's the name of that state next to Mexico that's being overrun by the Home Boys? Ohhhhyea, Texas. Just kidding here.

Yea, the only time running the 20-50 concerns me is after the engine is nice and warm and I nail the piss outta vboost. Other then that, I'm fine.

Looking like I might need to do the oil change soon though. We are already getting cooler weather then normal here in Ga. September is normaly still a roasting month with Late October getting to nice temps. For the last week it's only made it into the 70's durring the day and low 50's at night. So we might actually get a nice winter this year. I haven't seen a real good snowfall down here in over 10 years.

Latest posts

Back