What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my (freshly Green) rear fender (with cateye tail light) installed.
I just have to say I LOVE my $35 version of the $135 UFO tail light.

Attachments

• Rear-Fender-and-Tank-1.jpg
    Rear-Fender-and-Tank-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Rear-Fender-and-Tank-Dark.jpg
    Rear-Fender-and-Tank-Dark.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 42
  • rear-fender-installed-1.jpg
    rear-fender-installed-1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 45
Well this has been over the last couple of days. Most people know that Ive been dynoing the bike....and just not getting the HP out of it....that I think it should....so Ive been on a hunt for things that Ive over looked.

After speaking with Gary (Dingy....who is a super nice guy.....and VERY sharp individual BTW), first I had a incorrect setting in the ignitech. The setting for the dwell was set on long....and that is for coils 3 ohms or less. The setting shouldve been on auto. The ignitech is a "smart" ECU. It will sense the dwell....and how it is firing, and will adjust the dwell to make it fire the best (with in certain parameters).

I also started looking at the wires that I was using for the COPS that I had. I went back thru and started rereading threads. Basically it was determined that you need resistors on the wires if you are using early (85-89) TCI's....or if you are running a dyna 3000. I had resistors made.....to play it safe....although I didnt need it for the 07 TCI. About a year later I swapped to the Ignitech.....and REALLY didnt need the resistors then.

It was interesting what Gary had to say about the spark plug gap of .026 with the COPS....so my goal was to be able to open up the gap to .032 or even .035.

So....changed the dwell setting....and the bike did run better after that.....and sounded different at idle.....more choppy.

The next day, I changed out the COPS wires with resistors....for a set without resistors. (They came with the 86 that I bought).....I also changed out the plugs. The old plugs....didnt look right....the gaps looked small, so I remeasured them using a round circular gauge that I had. I had to force them on....at .020...WTF? I had gapped them last year....with a gapping tool that I bought. You put the plug in....set the gap....and squeeze the handle. I took a new plug....and gapped using the circular tool...at .032....and checked vs the squeeze tool, and it was .040. So basically I was trying to make HP...with a spark plug gap of .018.

So put in new plugs....gapped at .032....and the bike starts INSTANTLY. I plan on riding the bike over the next couple of days....and see how the mileage is. I will say one thing.....the bike feels REALLY good ridding around town.

Attachments

• Dwell long.jpg
    Dwell long.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Dwell auto.jpg
    Dwell auto.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 28
  • 20150412_120525[1].jpg
    20150412_120525[1].jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 28
Well this has been over the last couple of days. Most people know that Ive been dynoing the bike....and just not getting the HP out of it....that I think it should....so Ive been on a hunt for things that Ive over looked.

After speaking with Gary (Dingy....who is a super nice guy.....and VERY sharp individual BTW), first I had a incorrect setting in the ignitech. The setting for the dwell was set on long....and that is for coils 3 ohms or less. The setting shouldve been on auto. The ignitech is a "smart" ECU. It will sense the dwell....and how it is firing, and will adjust the dwell to make it fire the best (with in certain parameters).

I also started looking at the wires that I was using for the COPS that I had. I went back thru and started rereading threads. Basically it was determined that you need resistors on the wires if you are using early (85-89) TCI's....or if you are running a dyna 3000. I had resistors made.....to play it safe....although I didnt need it for the 07 TCI. About a year later I swapped to the Ignitech.....and REALLY didnt need the resistors then.

It was interesting what Gary had to say about the spark plug gap of .026 with the COPS....so my goal was to be able to open up the gap to .032 or even .035.

So....changed the dwell setting....and the bike did run better after that.....and sounded different at idle.....more choppy.

The next day, I changed out the COPS wires with resistors....for a set without resistors. (They came with the 86 that I bought).....I also changed out the plugs. The old plugs....didnt look right....the gaps looked small, so I remeasured them using a round circular gauge that I had. I had to force them on....at .020...WTF? I had gapped them last year....with a gapping tool that I bought. You put the plug in....set the gap....and squeeze the handle. I took a new plug....and gapped using the circular tool...at .032....and checked vs the squeeze tool, and it was .040. So basically I was trying to make HP...with a spark plug gap of .018.

So put in new plugs....gapped at .032....and the bike starts INSTANTLY. I plan on riding the bike over the next couple of days....and see how the mileage is. I will say one thing.....the bike feels REALLY good ridding around town.

The gap for the cop kit was recommended at .026. Curious about you going bigger?:ummm:

Will be interesting to see what it does now?

Sean

The gap for the cop kit was recommended at .026. Curious about you going bigger?:ummm:

Well IF i remember right....that was the gap for the vehicle that the COPS came from. One person emailed me, and on their 89....they have COPS with resistors (they have since gone from the stock TCI to ignitech)...and they increased their gap to .030. Past that....the bike was hard to start. Mine starts easy at .032 now....and I might increase to .035. Both of which are stock Vmax gaps. I was always under the impression....the wider the gap...bigger the spark, and the more fuel can be burned. With nitrous, or supercharged....then you have to close the gap.

Will be interesting to see what it does now?

Sean

Yes it will be. I'm actually looking at a GPS accelerameter, that will calculate HP/torque. It hasnt been released yet...but I am on the wait list. The pitch and roll of a motorcycle wont bother it.

Kim found my keys and the title, so that's going in the mail tomorrow. Still don't have a delivery date, but I'm hoping for this week.

Well cant sleep right now.....so switched handlebars from the stock ones.....to the superbike bars that Sean sells. unfortunately its raining right now....so I cant really try them to their fullest extent in the turns.

Attachments

• 20150413_040622[1].jpg
    20150413_040622[1].jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20150413_040638[1].jpg
    20150413_040638[1].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 48
I have a G-tech pro around here somewhere that does that same function. Never tried to see how accurate it was and not even sure where it's at now?

I have a G-tech pro around here somewhere that does that same function. Never tried to see how accurate it was and not even sure where it's at now?

I spoke with G-tech.....and their current ones that came out in 2010 (and are GPS) are supposed to be accurate for a motorcycle. They are supposed to be accurate to within 3 hp of a regular dyno.

The ones that I'm waiting for....are supposed to be more accurate than that due to the sampling rate, which is 50 times a second, as opposed to the old ones which just sampled at 10 times a sec.

Fired her up for the first time today and started the sync. #3 wont come up to match n the screw is out all the way so im gonna try the peashooter and/or shotgun first. Also found out my headlight housing couldnt handle relayed 55w kryptonic h4 headlights so i may be looking for a stock headlight bucket in the very near future!

Attachments

• CAM00214.jpg
    CAM00214.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 36
uploadfromtaptalk1429042612507.jpginstalled my damper today... thing looks wicked and it feels great. Just some extra insurance but i gotta say i tried to induce a wobble and couldnt... expensive but worth it because of the way it mounts.
BRING ON SUMMER LOL

I suggest an EMGO 7" bucket & bezel, both are steel and a clear non-fluted lens. You can probably find a Harley reflector clear lens on your local CL. Add your choice of wattage and enjoy better night vision. Upgradeable to an HID if you want. The 'ears' for the bucket were from ebay, I used rubber insulated ones for vibration protection, w/two bolts to anchor each to the downtube. I also used a rubber fender washer for the bolt holding the 'ears' to the bucket, for another bit of insulation from vibration. I am using a 55/60 watt bulb and am happy w/its pattern/output at night. Much better than the stock 5-3/4" bucket.

attachment.php

Fired her up for the first time today and started the sync. #3 wont come up to match n the screw is out all the way so im gonna try the peashooter and/or shotgun first. Also found out my headlight housing couldnt handle relayed 55w kryptonic h4 headlights so i may be looking for a stock headlight bucket in the very near future!

Attachments

• headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    headlight-Superbrace.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Hlight.3.JPG
    Hlight.3.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Hlight.2.JPG
    Hlight.2.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Hlight.4.JPG
    Hlight.4.JPG