I moved my helmet lock, better location

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad idea. I just use a cable in the lock and slide it through the helmet which I place on the seat. I can't hang the helmet there directly because of the fat max bags.

Helmet lock was added to models 96+ for those still wondering.

Yeah my '86 & '95 don't have them. As mentioned it seems '96 & up. But also as mentioned a totally useless location. Before this I had one of those double locks on a horizontal mounting bar made for the license plate bracket. It worked AWESOME there but it kept ripping the sheet metal under my fender to shreads and eventually cracked the plastic of the fender too and finally had to remove it....and replace my fender. I now have two mounted aftermarket ones on my cash bars. They work pretty well there. Sorry no pic.

Actually, I found a way to keep helmet off pipe, by wedging my full face helmet against the center stand foot when hooked. A bit of a jigsaw puzzle, but it did work and kept helmet off the hot pipe. I was using this technique for years.... Then just yesterday I was at a bike rally and set the bike on its center stand, then realized my trick didn't work in that mode (no center stand foot to brace against when in the down position).... So I had to switch the bike back to the kick stand, just to use the helmet lock.... Didn't want to carry helmet during rally, didn't want to wait for pipes to cool, etc....

So, that is when I decided to do the mod, and did it last night. Now I will have 2 rear helmet locks, hopefully. Keyed the same.

Good idea on cable. I will use similar to lock down the leathers. As we all know, leathers are too bulky to wear around, and many times too hot to wear in summer when not at riding speed..... Plus, I'm not the trusting type to leave helmets and gear unlocked on bike....

Rock on!!!! Yes, I'm a guitar player. Haaaaa

I use an approximately 12" long plastic covered cable with a loop in each end. Run thru the d-rings and any part or the frame/backrest/rack and use a regular lock to secure. Have two cables and locks to secure two helmets if carrying a passenger.

Can you relocate the factory lock? Or do you need to buy a new one? I rarely use the factory because of because of its poor location.

Can you relocate the factory lock? Or do you need to buy a new one? I rarely use the factory because of because of its poor location.

I moved the factory lock, to my back rack. I think the rack is aftermarket or even a custom. Anyway, the OEM locks fit great in a horizontal position on my back rack. I'm psycho.... Considering 2 more at the top of my sissy bar for use as a coot hook/lock.

One problem with mounting 2 locks to the OEM rear rack... You might exceed the maximum weight of 7lbs!

In all seriousness though I am going to figure out how to get helmet locks keyed to my key and mount them in the same position.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I think I may try to mount it where my rear blinkers used to be (my blinkers are built into the tail light), I have been looking for something to cover the stock holes. I am not sure it will be high enough to keep the helmet off of the pipe though, if it’s not; I like the idea of mounting it on the rear rack mount.

Not a bad idea. I just use a cable in the lock and slide it through the helmet which I place on the seat. I can't hang the helmet there directly because of the fat max bags.

Helmet lock was added to models 96+ for those still wondering.

Like Zack, I use a cable & padlock so I can secure my helmet & jacket. I have one of those 'curly' cables & a good padlock.

From the Kryptonite website, an inexpensive 5' lock & no key required.

KryptoFlex? 815 Combo Cable (formerly RCL I)
Deterrent security for low crime areas

5' (152cm) x 8mm

Price: $13.45

divider_hor.gif
th_994558.jpg
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/OutletList.aspx

That is long-enough for two helmets & a jacket or two.

OK Guys, I went crazy.... Not only did I add locks to each side of my rear rack for 2 helmets, but I also added locks to each side of my upper sissy bar, in order to lock up the expensive leathers. I have all the parts made, I am now just waiting the locks to come in to assemble all 4 on the bike...

FYI, I'm adding nylon straps (metal cable interior) and D-ring hooks to the leathers... someone will really have to want to steal them to cut them off with heavy cutters or potentially ruin the leathers by ripping them off. . Regardless, it is cool and secure. The hooks are strong enough to pull the bike over.

Plain bracket from Home Depot. Will need 2. Red lines are BENDS, Black lines are cut-offs
21.jpg

One I had the bracket partially formed I tried it on the bike for testing.
7.jpg

Once all the bends and cuts were made, I dipped the brackets in plastic. Probably didn't need to do this, but I wanted an all black look. Could use paint, etc, whatever sticks to the zinc brackets.
20.jpg

I made a rubber gasket/filler, and a cavity to allow the recessed lock nut
8.jpg

Here is the assembly. Bracket, rubber gasket held on by brass screws (nipped off to length).
9.jpg

Rear view of same, You can see the lock nut recessed in the rubber gasket.
10.jpg

Assembly attached to the sissy bar
11.jpg

Side View
12.jpg

Rear View. Here is why I created the rubber gasket, to cover the void between the back of the bracket and the sissy bar. you have to have a void to allow room for the lock nut. I suppose you could screw the lock directly into the sissy bar upright post, but I chose not to do that. The black rubber gasket closes the gap and makes it look more like OEM Stock. I doesn't really provide any dampening, none needed based upon the bracket design. FYI.
13.jpg

Front View
14.jpg

Shown with my luggage attached.
The straps for the luggage do not interfere based on location high on the sissy bar.
15.jpg

Another view
17.jpg

Shown with coat Haaaaaaa...
18.jpg

I gotta tell you, this was a royal pain in the ass... trying to fab the brackets, etc.... however, in use, I believe having the convenience of the right locks, in the right places, will make the experience more enjoyable.. Next time I ride into a town and walk around for hours, I've got a secure place for helmets and leathers for 2 riders, all keyed to the same ignition key. BTW, i did end up using 4 of the identical locks that came stock on the bike. approx $50 each from the dealer or cheaper online if you can get lucky and snag one.

As i mentioned, the mounts are strong enough to pull the bike over... However, when I bend the metal bracket I do know that that does weaken the metal, however, with no more movement/stress, I hope the bends hold up without cracking.

Last edited:
Thats a lot of work. Looks good. Whats your luggage. looks like a nice bag.

I must have too cheap of stuff. I haven't locked up a helmet or my jacket in years. The helmet fits perfectly over the backrest. If riding two up and both have helmets then I set it with the mirror sticking though the visor hole (I only wear full face helmets). I just lay the jacket over the seat.

We wear 1/2 helmets so we usually put them on the seat. Not many 1/2 helmet theives around here I guess. The coats if there not on us they are on the seat also .

I use TOURMASTER soft bags, made of nylon, like Tumi luggage, etc.
They're OK, not as good as TUMI, and not as durable as heavy cowhide... but they look good on the Max, which is why I chose them.

I have a $300 flip front helmet, with a $200 intercom/bluetooth attached. The leathers are basic RiverRoad, $300 per set. = $1,600 in gear if we're riding 2 up.

I guess I am just use to locking up my crap. I really am not comfortable leaving that much value (replacement cost), unsecure. Hence my craziness.

I wanted an integrated look, durable, and usable.... and I think I accomplished that.

but what a Pain in the ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haaa.

This is a great idea! I have to prop the chin of my helmet on the foot peg to keep it off the exhaust pipe. Definitely going to give it a better look.

Back