Go Back   VMaxForum.net > Main Category > The Pit Stop

The Pit Stop General chit chat

Re: Brushes with fame
Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 PM

My VMax: 93 Blue
Default Re: Brushes with fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seward View Post
Back around 1977 or 1978 my ex wife and I met George Harrison at Watkins Glen, at a Grand Prix F1 race.

Back in the late 1960's I was on a stage singing (of all things) "Hey Jude" with a guy who was a relative unknown at the time - Bob Seger, of "The Bob Seger System".

Drank cheap whiskey with Wayne Cochran (the king of blue - eyed soul) backstage after a show in Buffalo, back around 1974.
Hey Bill, Did you ever go to the Belle Star. Its was in Colden, going down the hill towards Kissing bridge.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 PM

My VMax: 1992 Red-E Sparkle
My other bikes: FZR 1000, '67 Superhawk
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award Award of Posting Excellence (APE) 
Total Awards: 2

I started attending the F-1 Grand prix races in Watkins Glen from 1964 and went every year until I left NY in 1968. I saw plenty of famous now-dead racers like Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, Dan Gurney (he's still around); one of my favorites, Graham Hill; Ritchie Ginther, Pedro Rodriguez, and Lorenzo Bandini. And I have a Watkins Glen F-1 race ticket w/Stirling Moss's autograph on it, that he begrudgingly signed for me. No I never met a Beatle there.

I did see Bob Seger sing in MI plenty of times in the 1960's and early 1970's and one of my friend's was well acquainted w/a member of Bob Seger's business group, a woman who was her maid of honor at her wedding. The woman was a looker, tall, slim, black hair, white skin. "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" was a big hit in 1968 and I saw him play it live back then in MI nightclubs from then on, before he played the big venues.

I saw Wayne Cochran sing "Goin' Back to Miami," in Miami FL, which was a great concert. Never met the man. He had a great voice, and put a lotta energy into his shows.

Another one I did meet in about 1970 was George Clinton, who put on one of the most high-energy shows I ever saw, right up-there w/Sylvester Stewart in his prime, who I once saw in Cobo Hall-Detroit one weekend, and the next weekend in Kalamazoo, MI. Trivia: what was his (S. Stewart's) stage name? No-fair googling! And, bonus round! What was the name of George Clinton's band (he changed the name a bit over the years)?

I did watch from the front row while BB King sang, among others, "Lucille," on his Gibson, in the city where "Lucille" was built. That was in about 1971 on the rooftop of a parking garage in MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seward View Post
Back around 1977 or 1978 my ex wife and I met George Harrison at Watkins Glen, at a Grand Prix F1 race.

Back in the late 1960's I was on a stage singing (of all things) "Hey Jude" with a guy who was a relative unknown at the time - Bob Seger, of "The Bob Seger System".

Drank cheap whiskey with Wayne Cochran (the king of blue - eyed soul) backstage after a show in Buffalo, back around 1974.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 AM
BANNED

My VMax: 1985 1988
My other bikes: 3 1986 '87 gsxr 1100's- 1 pro
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award 
Total Awards: 1

Mulholland Drive is a road starting at the HOLLYWOOD sign and ending 25 miles aways in Malibu.There are no parts that are straight.You pass the Hollywood Bowl next as you go through Hollywood.It is arguably the most scenic drive in the United States. I spent 25 years there and nothing i have seen compares.Maybe Scotland.
It runs on the crestline of the Santa Monica mountains.
In the 1960's a young man named Don Prudhomme (aka the Snake) was the king of the hill. The man to beat from one end to the other. In the late 70' he was still king and doing it with a honda cbx.Some of the most expensive homes in the world are built on this drive. Los Angeles on one side and the San Fernando Valley on the other. I was fortunate enough to stop at hundreds of these houses and the famous names go on for years.
A few miles before the end is a famous biker hangout named the Rockstore.
Every weekend you will see bikers like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jay Leno, Matt LeBlanc,Tom Cruise, Ewan Mcgregor,Pam Anderson, Harrison Ford. I used to work on a few of Matt's bikes and we road out there many times. One weekend Leno was on his Y2K and as he was warming it up a car pull up next to him and we watched the paint melt off the front fender and passenger door.As you come out of a mile or so tunnel on Kanan Dune rd toward the end of it you see the pacific ocean.
There are many stops along the 25 mile ride to stop and it is worth the trip.
You can sense the history.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM

My VMax: 1985 Red - the fast color
My other bikes: 2002 Roadstar
Awards Showcase
Nice guy award The DOH! award 
Total Awards: 2

Belle Starr! Great place, epic parties there, from what I can still remember.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 AM

My VMax: 2009 Black
My other bikes: 73 Triumph, 70 Kawi

Hanging out with my "buddy" Dennis.

IMG_20150407_0001_NEW.jpg

-----------------------------

Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 AM

My VMax: 1993 V-Max - My 4th one.

Met John Madden.
I don't watch or follow football. It just doesn't interest me. I'll watch one if I have to, but otherwise I'm in the garage tinkering with my vehicles. They ALWAYS need something.
Having said that, when I was in the Air Force, we assisted with security at a preseason Seahawks game against the Cowboys - I think in 2008. I was selected to be in the "National TV Coverage" room, standing next to John Madden. Yes, he's a VERY big guy. My co-workers hated me. They said, "You don't even watch football and you're up there with John Madden..."

Also Flying Crew Chief on C-17 Presidential missions delivering many Secret Service and the President's limo places.
BTW... The Marines assigned to guard the President's vehicles are VERY jumpy. I attempted to refuel while they were downloading the special "cargo." A Marine wrote down my name and put his hand on his weapon while staring at me. Wow.