aftermarket lift handle for custom tail

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2501

Reaction score
hello guys, just yesterday I was installing the new mv agusta tail on my vmax , I had some issues with the turning lights ( ended up in purchasing a new smaller set to fit the small holes ) but now I'm in trouble with a big issue : the lifting handle....
I'm a small old guy and for sure I do net have the stamina to pull up a beast like the vmax all by myself, so a lifting handle is a vital part if I want to put the bike on the center stand.
Unfortunately I cannot find anything usableonline, so the big question is : ....and now? what can I use?
basically the agusta tail is this :
679m.jpg

and the only available mounting points are the suspension screw and the lateral screw used to install the tail.
It's impossible to use the original handle, and the only handle I can think of is the one sold from wunderlich , but this handle are for BMW and not yamaha, so the frame size is different.
this is the wunderlich handle :
8160453.jpg

do you have some suggestion or a link to an aftermarket handle that I wasn't able to find on the internet?

Looks like the Wunderlich is 3 parts, either have the handle milled to the size you need, or have a machine shop make you the new piece to fit the VMax frame tube size.

The MV Agusta tailpiece is a popular addition, my friend is adding one to a custom Suzuki GSXR 1000-based bike he's building. It already has a VFR single-sided swingarm he put on it.

Indeed. It’s a 3 pieces and one of the solution can be to mill the center hole to fit the exact size of the Vmax frame.
But I’m afraid that this can lead to a weaker part, so I’m not going this way. Furthermore , the wunderlicht part is way too expensive for what it worths (dunno why...maybe just because it’s a BMW aftermarket part , and there’s the popular belief that bmw riders have tons of bucks to throw away in the wind) , so I prefer not going this way.
To project and build a lifting handle can be a solution , I’m pretty familiar with 3D and solidworks prototipation, but even here , the price could be way too high.
A good machining company can ask more than 400$ for a swiveling handle made with 5 axis machine and in good steel like 316 L.
Some of you guys have overcome this issue?
I see that many of you have an aftermarket tail and for sure you have the same problm I have.
Also, if there is a way to learn how to put the bike on the center stand without the handle please let me know . Maybe it’s just my leak of strength the issue?

There is a procedure that utilizes your body weight and a lifting motion together with the stock setup but that requires a good hand hold to lift with. You could modify the center stand arm that you step on to be longer to give it more leverage?

Hum.... do you mean something like the EZ-up center stand?
images

That would be the idea, but to modify the stock centerstand's arm that you step on to be longer thus giving you more leverage over lifting the bike. As I thought about my suggestion more it probably would look terrible. Your first idea or something like it is probably your best bet. Getting it to look good will be key and more than likely not cheap!

Use that upper left shock bolt for mounting a folding handle. Flip it up to put the bike on the centerstand, flip it down when you're done. A nice machined billet passenger foot peg would work. You can mount one on the other side for symmetry and line them up with the shock angle for a unique look. (I might just try this myself)
Does not look like you have a lot of space for something frame mounted.

Thank you guys!
I’ve followed your suggestions and purchase a single foldable foot pad .
Unfortunately it’s folding the wrong way....I mean , it wants to open and not to fold.
I’ve removed the internal spring to be able to fold the footpad and it does not rattle when I ride.
Result is pretty nice .
It’s an alluminium 6061 part, but it seems to me a cheap product....
Hoping that it will not fail me when I’m pulling the bike on the center stand....it could be ,how to say.... not “good to hear” for childrens around.
Jut to be more safer I’ve also changed the internal screw , and replace it with a inox steel threaded rod.
As I said, I’m happy with this solution.
Thank you again!

Attachments

• C9263309-7449-468D-8463-A039BFF3A63B.jpg
    C9263309-7449-468D-8463-A039BFF3A63B.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back