Lost power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax Kid

Reaction score
Hi guys, on my way home my max suddenly lost most of its power, where as it used to just blast and go on the throttle, it was gradually accelerating. On stopping at an intersection for about 3 seconds, I can smell fuel. On top of that the exhaust starting making a different noise indicating something is wrong, more ratty.

I checked my rear plug wires and will check my front ones when the engine cools down to see if the came out of the igniters, the plugs are a few months old. I also removed the side covers and air box to look at the carbs. Fuel pump seems to be working because it not endlessly clicking, and it is getting fuel cause i see the flow from the filter. It now starts a little rougher, and can definitely hear the starter turning a piston.
The only thing I can think of if that maybe my rear L/H carb is bad. my reasoning is that when i took the airbox off, it was the only carb that i could see fuel in, so i turned the throttle and put it into the manifold, turned the key to prime the pump to see if the carbs would fill again. they didnt. as I was about to head inside to wait for the engine to cool down, that carb made a slow pouring sound and i noticed it began filling up with fuel again. this was about 5 minutes after priming. Diaphragms are all good as they spring back immediatley unless im missing something.

anyways, any help would be great. Thanks!!

Same thing happened to me on my way to work one day. It started feeling like i had no power and I was smelling raw fuel. To make a long story short. Found that my needle valves that control the overflow openings at the top of the carbs were not seating correctly. Those needle tips are are rubber and it looked like, over time, that they lost their ability to conform to make a good seal. after swapping them out, it's been fine so far (knock on my head, I mean wood) :bang head:

I think its 1FK-14190-15.

Just a side note: they sell the replacement brass housing, along with the needle valves.
My carbs had a those openings covered.
In order to replace the entire assembly, the top of my carbs would have to be drilled out, which I was not willing to do..
So I cleaned out the existing ones, and replaced the needles only.

I actually just realized, dont know if its aftermarket or if they come as stock, but i have mikuni carbs. woiuld that number work with those?

We all have Mikuni carbs, unless someone modified their bike..

Latest posts

Back