Oil analysis back from Blackstone Labs (Pic)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falaholic

Reaction score
Well my results came back from Blackstone. This is the second oil analysis. The first one contained the oil from the PO, and could only assume it was Yamalube. The oil results from the 1st screening indicated alot of wear and silicon (bad or loose air filter) in the oil. Chaulked it up to possibly too long of an oil interval on the oil, assumed 4,300 miles.

This time around went with Shell Rotella 15W-40 and K&N oil filter, and the results are worse. I tried to change it at exactly 3K, but managed 3.132m.

I'm wearing iron, copper, and lead. My riding style is mainly highway ~6K most of the time. I have 24K on the clock, and have not done a shim job, nor replaced my air filter, or plugs. I almost always run Chevron 87, and ride my Vmax almost daily.

If there are other Vmaxers that have done the analysis please post it up. I would like to compare my results to yours.

DqdfguK.jpg

That's the trouble when you open Pandora's box, you don't know what you will find.
I think that before you could draw any conclusions about the result you would need to know much more about where the samples that made up the averages.
That is age, mileage, configuration and construction of engines, petrol or diesel, what the duty cycles were, lubricants used etc. etc.

You should also bare in mind that the design of the V Max motor goes back a long way and compared to more modern designs is (perhaps) more susceptible to different wear characteristics.

I think you are right to compare your results with another Max as this would allow you to compare apples with apples rather than apples with oranges, bananas, grapes, kiwi fruit, raspberries and a myriad of other fruit.

Bottom line though is if the bike is running well then leave well alone and DON'T open the box again! :ummm:

Here's the ones I have (that I could find anyway)

Attachments

• 02 VMAX-040614.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 86 FAZER-111913.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Oil Analysis 1994 Vmax.jpg
    Oil Analysis 1994 Vmax.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 69
The Fazer comes close in excessive wear, to my Vmax.
The other oil samples are too new in value to accurately evaluate wear. To add, no mention of what type of oil was being used.
I'm going to call BS Monday and see if their universal averages are actually based on consumers' samples ov Vmaxes and not BMWs, Hondas, etc. all rolled into one category.

Anyone else have analysis to share?

Ok just just got off the phone with BS.
Seems that the universal averages are no specific to the Vmax. They tried to get it as close to a V4, so they chose inline 4s. In other words Hyabusa, ZX14 etc. ; modern bikes. There are just not enough Vmax samples in their system to create a universal average. There was mention of someone in their system using Rotella T6, and their wear numbers were low.

It was mentioned that I can go with a JSO MA rated synthetic. Wanted to run it by you guys and see if that is possible, T6, Valvoline's 20W/50.

I've used t6 a couple times. It thins out and leaks through the usual places when it's time to change.

Latest posts

Back