Vmax as a first bike...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been through long bumpy sweepers at 90+ mph and not had a wobble. Stock it tends to "wallow" a bit and is a little imprecise with steering inputs.
This year I have put on lighter rotors, fork brace, new tires and have progressive fork springs(lowered 2") w/ 15 wt silkolene oil. While the steering seems a little more responsive/ precise, I'm sure the "wallow" is still there. I'm still running stock shocks but have not tested any high speed corners yet due to some sand still on the road from winter. It's mostly gone and with the rains we've had the last couple days so it may be ready to test those fast sweepers again.:punk:

I don't agree with this statement at all. Any bike will handle poorly if it has not been set up correctly for the rider. The VMax is no sport bike but has gotten a real bad (unwarranted) rap that it can't turn or handle high speeds. I've seen enough people drag knees and bury the speedo on stock Maxes to know it's not true. I've done it on mine when it was stock. However the Vmax will do this if you do not do maintenance on the bike, such as checking air pressure in the tires. Go to a bike shop and get the stock suspension dialed in correctly for your weight, it makes a big difference.

Well I can only speak from my own experience. None of the bikes I have ever owned have been as scary as the Max when turning at 70+mph, and I've been through quite a few in my 30 years of riding.

I have new Shinkos tires with the right pressures front and back. I have a beefed up fork brace. I have Progressive springs and heavier oil at the front with no air pressure, and brand new Progressive 440 shocks at the back. I'm not quite sure how either could be 'dialed in' any better, but am obviously open to suggestions!

I renewed my steering head bearings and tightened them properly according to all the good advice here, and all of this eliminated my high-speed straight line wobble. I renewed my front wheel bearings, and checked the rear.
I guess the only question mark that remains is my swingarm bearings, I haven't got round to check these yet, but once I do, if it gets any better I will be sure to post it here!

For now though, I'm not suicidal enough to attempt any turns above 70mph on our average highway surfaces on my Max. Whenever I try it, as soon as I go over any irregularity in the road, it starts wobbling and shaking dangerously and is very difficult to keep under control. I still believe the chassis isn't quite up to par with the performance - why would everyone fit frame braces, solid motor mounts, upside-down forks etc if it was ok in the first place? :ummm:

I compare my SV1000S to my Vmax all the time and while my Max is a great handling bike it's NOT a sport bike so it's not really fair for me to compare... Not to mention it's a 17 year older design than my SV.

Buy it, take it easy and enjoy.

great advise by all....to add to the list I say this, when you do give'er hell keep it in a straight line, shifting hard into second WILL!! bring the front tire up a few inches causeing a SH**!!T I can't steer feeling in your bones. no worry's don't panic... your on a bike that in 85 was a violently brutal accelerator surpassing all others in it's class to come down the pipe for many years...have fun brother..lol

Shorthair88

This is kinda late, just saw this post, but anyway.... My '85 is my first bike. Never ridden before I got it, well besides bicycles. I learned to ride it in the parking lot where I work and the road off the parking lot. Going slow is the hardest thing for me still, so I'm glad I learned in the parking lot at slow speeds. But like everyone has said already, respect the power and know it's there. As for handling, I can't compare it to anything by experience, but I haven't had any shake or wobble problems except for one stretch of interstate on the way to work that's grooved and a sweeping curve. It gets pretty scary on that stretch at 70 +. I tend to try to keep it around 60-65 now through there.
My advice, BUY IT!!!

I will start by saying I realize this is a heavy and very powerful bike.

I also realize that, for the most part, most reviews - including the Yamaha website advise not to buy this as a first bike.

I consider myself a new rider - with the knowledge on operating / clutch / gears.

My question is this: I am looking at sealing the deal on a Vmax within a day or so - am I making a huge mistake?

I bought my bike from a dealer who looked at my VT1100 and "suggested" that the VT1100 was not a good bike to go from into a Vmax. I'm riding long enough to know what that means. I told him my other bike was a V45 Magna
and he said that was a good bike to get experience on to handle a Vmax.

I bought the Max, and saw pretty readily that (IMO) the Max will not suffer a mistake on the part of a rider and not get him / her into trouble where a similar move on a less responsive machine will be much more easily recoverable.

For example, many Vmax bikes do not LIKE to go into neutral. Mistake first gear for neutral and rev the throttle like so many who have this habit do, and you WILL hit what is in front of you, right now! Do it on a turn, same thing but you'll do it on your side if you're turning in sand.

I've learned to baby the throttle when it's wet on turns, crossing wet bridges
and RR tracks, as well as looking for sand, oily surfaces, and even odd things like liberally painted road markings like RxR crossing paint which can be VERY slippery. Goose the max on these and you're going down, hopefully not in front of a truck.

So, should inexperienced riders get a Vmax? Not in my opinion.

hi all , vmax was my first bike . i was 17 and it was the bike i learnd on , no dirt bikes or anything else . got the max and went to a msf class . no big deal just becarefull and respect the learning curve .

hi all , vmax was my first bike . i was 17 and it was the bike i learnd on , no dirt bikes or anything else . got the max and went to a msf class . no big deal just becarefull and respect the learning curve .

WOW DAVE! You didn't say how long you're riding the max or your age, but since you did it do you think it's REALLY "GOOD" advice to tell a newbie to get a bike like ours?

I think it's foolish for ANYONE to be on a power bike as a first machine, and because one or fifteen do it without incident doesn't make it right.

OK... here's where the rubber meets the pavement. I own a max, and so do you. Would you be more likely to let me drive up and give me your keys and take a spin on your machine or a new rider.

If you answer you'd just as likely let a newbie take YOUR bike, you have the strength of your convictions, but "I" BET you wouldn't risk your bike!

WOW DAVE! You didn't say how long you're riding the max or your age, but since you did it do you think it's REALLY "GOOD" advice to tell a newbie to get a bike like ours?

I think it's foolish for ANYONE to be on a power bike as a first machine, and because one or fifteen do it without incident doesn't make it right.

OK... here's where the rubber meets the pavement. I own a max, and so do you. Would you be more likely to let me drive up and give me your keys and take a spin on your machine or a new rider.

If you answer you'd just as likely let a newbie take YOUR bike, you have the strength of your convictions, but "I" BET you wouldn't risk your bike!

that could be said about the rebel 250 i used to own. would i prefer an experienced rider to be on it? yes of course. nto really an objective question

i would say however, if you wanted a vmax, it can take a toll on the expenses to buy a beginner bike, worry about selling it, plus all the DMV/RMV fees etc. i think the vmax, can be a beginner bike but it needs to be kept in check and it would def lend itself to a larger person b/c of the weight etc.

I found this bike for $500

01 max , the seller said this when I asked what it would take for it to be ridden again....

"It is going to need a battery, a hole busted into the drive shaft to rear wheel box, patched or the casing replaced. Possibly the carborators rebuilt, though possibly not, because it was running afyer I wrecked, on its side, which means it ran all of the gas out of the carborators, and has not had more pumped into them, because it is electronic fuel pump, and I never did anything with it since the wreck.

It will need a exause system, which I have one for it, which I talk about in the add. It will need blinkers, which I also talk about in the add, which I also have. I also have some good tores for it, whoch I also talk about in the Craigslisy listing.

The left foot peg os broken off. There is also other cosmetic and luberication, Etc. factors that will have to be addressed, as well, like the front air shocks, oil and seels, for example, Etc..

This motorcycle has never lost a drag race, to anyone, on anything, "EVER"!.

That inclides other VMaxes, like my friends 2006, as I also talk about in the Add. We were running, when My wreck came up. About 155. In about 15 seconds, or so. That is what VMaxes, do. Alwaus, and easily, also. All of the time, normally. This 2001 of mine, jusy happened to be one a notch above the rest. Really, it is. "

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x56525m8trqo9ka/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-48.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfcupgfd62hu5jh/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-31.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1efxa771ggcf5e/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-13.png?dl=0

These are some pictures of the bike, reason I posted on this thread is because as my username states I'm a total noob to bikes

I found this bike for $500

01 max , the seller said this when I asked what it would take for it to be ridden again....

"It is going to need a battery, a hole busted into the drive shaft to rear wheel box, patched or the casing replaced. Possibly the carborators rebuilt, though possibly not, because it was running afyer I wrecked, on its side, which means it ran all of the gas out of the carborators, and has not had more pumped into them, because it is electronic fuel pump, and I never did anything with it since the wreck.

It will need a exause system, which I have one for it, which I talk about in the add. It will need blinkers, which I also talk about in the add, which I also have. I also have some good tores for it, whoch I also talk about in the Craigslisy listing.

The left foot peg os broken off. There is also other cosmetic and luberication, Etc. factors that will have to be addressed, as well, like the front air shocks, oil and seels, for example, Etc..

This motorcycle has never lost a drag race, to anyone, on anything, "EVER"!.

That inclides other VMaxes, like my friends 2006, as I also talk about in the Add. We were running, when My wreck came up. About 155. In about 15 seconds, or so. That is what VMaxes, do. Alwaus, and easily, also. All of the time, normally. This 2001 of mine, jusy happened to be one a notch above the rest. Really, it is. "

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x56525m8trqo9ka/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-48.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfcupgfd62hu5jh/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-31.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1efxa771ggcf5e/SmartSelectImage_2018-03-20-20-49-13.png?dl=0

These are some pictures of the bike, reason I posted on this thread is because as my username states I'm a total noob to bikes
Vmax was my first street bike, I've been riding dirt bike since I was a little kid so it wasn't completely foreign but did take some getting used too. Been riding it now for just over a year and couldn't be happier.
As far as the bike goes I could not see the pics, but if dude is saying he wrecked it drag racing I'm sure it's looking rough. You could certainly buy it and round up all the parts you would need to get it going from this forum. Sounds like quite a bit of work though. Did he explain what was done to make his "a notch above the rest" and am I reading correct that the wreck happened when he was doing 155mph? Lucky mofo if that's the case.
I would keep searching. Something ready to ride is likely to pop up, so many unknowns with a non-runner.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Vmax was my first street bike, I've been riding dirt bike since I was a little kid so it wasn't completely foreign but did take some getting used too. Been riding it now for just over a year and couldn't be happier.
As far as the bike goes I could not see the pics, but if dude is saying he wrecked it drag racing I'm sure it's looking rough. You could certainly buy it and round up all the parts you would need to get it going from this forum. Sounds like quite a bit of work though. Did he explain what was done to make his "a notch above the rest" and am I reading correct that the wreck happened when he was doing 155mph? Lucky mofo if that's the case.
I would keep searching. Something ready to ride is likely to pop up, so many unknowns with a non-runner.

It reads as if he did in fact ate it @155mph lol, here's links to another img hosting site .

Wrecked vmax https://imgur.com/gallery/0S7zk

Wrecked vmax2 https://imgur.com/gallery/Haqlg

Wrecked vmax 3 https://imgur.com/gallery/O30dJ

It reads as if he did in fact ate it @155mph lol, here's links to another img hosting site .

Wrecked vmax https://imgur.com/gallery/0S7zk

Wrecked vmax2 https://imgur.com/gallery/Haqlg

Wrecked vmax 3 https://imgur.com/gallery/O30dJ
Looks like a lot of work. Could be a good project for someone. Wouldn't be me though.
Some of the more mechanically inclined folks on the forum would be able to let you know exactly what your up against.

Not sure which 'Arlington' you're in, as you have no state listed, which would make it easier to help you find something locally.

For $500, it could be worth that in parts, especially if the engine is intact. He mentioned, "it was running on its side after the wreck." Well, the oil pump pickup would have been sucking air, not oil at that point, I'm sure.

If someone wanted to buy this and try to fix it, I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't expect that it would be a cheap, reliable, or easy way to enter the VMax brotherhood. It's a real 'pig in a poke.' Caveat emptor: "let the buyer beware." He's asking $500, he says he has parts for it (exhaust, tires) depending on what manufacturers they are, if they are used or new, could be worth $500 on their own. I think it would be worth a look, "bring a trailer." And cash. He's motivated.

I'm guessing it was insured, and that he bought it back from the insurance company, but you want to be sure that it has a "rebuildable" title, because if it doesn't, it's only for parts. I would want to see the title, and to run it through a service to find out how it's listed now with the state DMV, or to see whatever paperwork he has from his insurance company about how it ended-up, legally.

Here's a Dallas TX area bike, 33K mi, looks pretty-decent, & a 2001, asking $3K: https://easttexas.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2001-yamaha-vmax-red/6483936549.html

00l0l_9daa8U0g7aO_600x450.jpg

It has case-savers & a sissy bar, desirable accessories. Make sure it has clean carbs, and doesn't jump out of gear, and you're riding.

Not sure which 'Arlington' you're in, as you have no state listed, which would make it easier to help you find something locally.

For $500, it could be worth that in parts, especially if the engine is intact. He mentioned, "it was running on its side after the wreck." Well, the oil pump pickup would have been sucking air, not oil at that point, I'm sure.

If someone wanted to buy this and try to fix it, I suppose it could be done, but I wouldn't expect that it would be a cheap, reliable, or easy way to enter the VMax brotherhood. It's a real 'pig in a poke.' Caveat emptor: "let the buyer beware." He's asking $500, he says he has parts for it (exhaust, tires) depending on what manufacturers they are, if they are used or new, could be worth $500 on their own. I think it would be worth a look, "bring a trailer." And cash. He's motivated.

I'm guessing it was insured, and that he bought it back from the insurance company, but you want to be sure that it has a "rebuildable" title, because if it doesn't, it's only for parts. I would want to see the title, and to run it through a service to find out how it's listed now with the state DMV, or to see whatever paperwork he has from his insurance company about how it ended-up, legally.

Here's a Dallas TX area bike, 33K mi, looks pretty-decent, & a 2001, asking $3K: https://easttexas.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2001-yamaha-vmax-red/6483936549.html

00l0l_9daa8U0g7aO_600x450.jpg

It has case-savers & a sissy bar, desirable accessories. Make sure it has clean carbs, and doesn't jump out of gear, and you're riding.

I've updated my location to show the state now, and that bike looks awesome but way out of my price range. I got about $1000 to spend on somthing to learn on, but looks like I got to get really lucky or just save some more

Well, since you're new to bikes, I think you would be well-served to buy something like a Suzuki SV650 twin, cheap, affordable, and peppy, you won't outgrow it soon, and you will develop your riding skills, and learn how to avoid painted lines on the road, center of the lane grease-strips at intersections, watching your 6 o'clock (behind you) at lights for inattentive drivers, idiot drivers who will intentionally try to harm you, don't think this doesn't happen, it happens too-frequently. I'm thinking of using a Go-Pro whenever I'm on the bike, just because of this.

Given your $ constraints, a quick check showed this: https://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2000-suzuki-sv650/6527094461.html
00C0C_ekjwJ7nQpII_600x450.jpg

which appears to be a relatively low-miles for-the-age of the bike, example of what I mentioned.

A bit more $ in your pocket, and I bet this could end-up going home with you. The turn signal stalks aren't drooping, a sure sign of a dropped bike, and it's got an aftermarket silencer it appears, though I might want to figure out a way to support that canister a bit better. No tears evident in the upholstery, and the bodywork looks pretty-good. I'd recommend something like this to begin your motorcycle apprenticeship. You won't have trouble keeping-up with traffic, but the engine will be spinning higher than if it was a larger-displacement bike. Learn how to do your own maintenance, and start your bike time without having to repair a bigger bike that weighs 600 lbs, and has 'issues,' which a cheap VMax surely-will.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_sv_650_2000.php

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SV-series/SV650_specs.shtml

Well, since you're new to bikes, I think you would be well-served to buy something like a Suzuki SV650 twin, cheap, affordable, and peppy, you won't outgrow it soon, and you will develop your riding skills, and learn how to avoid painted lines on the road, center of the lane grease-strips at intersections, watching your 6 o'clock (behind you) at lights for inattentive drivers, idiot drivers who will intentionally try to harm you, don't think this doesn't happen, it happens too-frequently. I'm thinking of using a Go-Pro whenever I'm on the bike, just because of this.

Given your $ constraints, a quick check showed this: https://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2000-suzuki-sv650/6527094461.html
00C0C_ekjwJ7nQpII_600x450.jpg

which appears to be a relatively low-miles for-the-age of the bike, example of what I mentioned.

A bit more $ in your pocket, and I bet this could end-up going home with you. The turn signal stalks aren't drooping, a sure sign of a dropped bike, and it's got an aftermarket silencer it appears, though I might want to figure out a way to support that canister a bit better. No tears evident in the upholstery, and the bodywork looks pretty-good. I'd recommend something like this to begin your motorcycle apprenticeship. You won't have trouble keeping-up with traffic, but the engine will be spinning higher than if it was a larger-displacement bike. Learn how to do your own maintenance, and start your bike time without having to repair a bigger bike that weighs 600 lbs, and has 'issues,' which a cheap VMax surely-will.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_sv_650_2000.php

http://www.suzukicycles.org/SV-series/SV650_specs.shtml

Thank You for the constructive reply, This is what I was looking for in this forum.

The Suzuki looks very nice and is in fact better for me as I begin to ride. I've made the guy an offer.

https://waco.craigslist.org/mcy/d/02-yamaha-r1/6534739186.html
Also found this nugget in the same area. Thoughts?

I think the SV650 is better than what appears to be a wadded-up track bike. If you go to see it ( the R1), look for safety wires and drilled bolts on places like the oil drain plug & the oil filler plug.

Latest posts

Back