Bike Resto in Full Effect Pt#2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }a:link { } It has been a while since I post. I documented my last build which can be seen here: http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=26991&highlight=resto+full

That bike ended up getting totaled in North Carolina by family member (they were ok). I was without a bike for several months after and then bought a 2009 Silver ZX-14. I still had the itch to get a Vmax and finally, after watching Craigslist, eBay, and Vmaxforum, found a great deal on Craigslist. I bought a 2006 with 18000 miles in excellent condition for $3500 last Sunday 4/23/17.

The bike is completely stock, a good example of a stock Vmax. I know exactly what I want to do with this bike having learned from the last build. I'm going to mod the bike out to get the look and performance I want and after it is near complete I will tear it down and paint the entire bike. Here is my mod list-

• Factory back rest – installed, came with bike
  • Superbike Bars - Installed
  • New Bar end mirrors - Installed
  • Koso DL-03SR Digital Gauge Black - Ordered
  • Oil Pressure Gauge – Order, need fittings and line
  • Black rubber grips - ordered
  • Used Coil on Plugs – in hand, need to install
  • Harley Vrod Head Light - Order
  • HID kit from DDM - Ordered
  • Exactrep Shorty Rear Fender w LED light - Ordered
  • Rizoma LED turn signals – take offs from last Vmax, ready to install
  • Shinko Tourmaster Tires – 170 on back/ 110 on front - Ordered
  • ZX14 Regulator Rectifier – Have in hand, undecided on install
  • Parts to Order:
  • S/S Voodoo 4-1 exhaust with slip on carbon muffler from other company – need to order
  • Seat reshape – need to decide on leather
  • Lithium Ion Battery – Need to decide to size and install location
  • Black braided brake lines
  • 320mm wave rotors with Hayabusa 6 piston calipers, front and back
  • Progressive or Works front springs and rear shocks
  • HD Oil upgrade from Sean Morley
  • A/F wide band gauge
  • All stainless hardware for bolts- ARP and Generic 304

Here is bike the day I bought it in Miami. It was pouring rain and I had to leave it there overnight. I took the train back Monday and rode the bike back to Boynton up US1. Took a long ride to get the feel back. I've been on ZX-14 for past couple years and it is very different feel.

I installed superbike bars and bar end mirrors yesterday. Here are pics of bike after being washed.

That's a nice 07, The last Vmax I had before I bought my 2015 was a 07. I had Sean chrome a bunch of parts and it looked really awesome but I am bias.

I'm sure you have plans to make it yours, I think whenever we buy a Vmax or any other bike we have to do things to make it ours.

I bought mine with UFO pipes and by the time I got home I was deaf, I ordered a set of Marks 4 into 2 exhaust and I loved the sound.

I hope you share what you plan to do with it, I really liked the 07 and still do.

Enjoy you new find. !!

I took the bike out for a long ride after work- 3 hours. Feels pretty solid. I notice the front end feels shaky at highway speeds if it hits a bump or wind pushes the bike. I will adjust the head bearings and order some springs. Overall the bike is a blast. Much more fun than the ZX-14.

I took the bike out for a long ride after work- 3 hours. Feels pretty solid. I notice the front end feels shaky at highway speeds if it hits a bump or wind pushes the bike. I will adjust the head bearings and order some springs. Overall the bike is a blast. Much more fun than the ZX-14.

A shaky front is no fun

I had a set of steering head bearings installed early this season. The head shake was greatly reduced, but still there. I followed Sean's video instructions, that was what it needed, the shake was gone. A couple weeks ago, a friend stopped over with a '94. His bike had a bad case of the shakes, and a new set of bearings. We did the adjustment per Sean, and his wobble was gone, too. Good job on the video, Sean!

I had a set of steering head bearings installed early this season. The head shake was greatly reduced, but still there. I followed Sean's video instructions, that was what it needed, the shake was gone. A couple weeks ago, a friend stopped over with a '94. His bike had a bad case of the shakes, and a new set of bearings. We did the adjustment per Sean, and his wobble was gone, too. Good job on the video, Sean!

I agree Sean's video is a great help. Here is the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-CmACI5xQ

Whats up guys. I've been tearing into the bike so figured I'd update this. I ordered some coil on plugs off ebay from a R6. I pulled out the stock coils. I didn't want to chop off the connectors so ordered some and make 4 adapter harnesses with 16 gauge wire. I forgot how much of a pita it is to pull off the front coils. With the computer support bracket off I moved the electronic from the left scoop to the area around the computer. I installed a new horn under the left scoop. I installed a ZX14 R/R next to the battery. This afternoon I'm going to run (2) 10gauge wires from the R/R to the battery. I also need to tighten the head bearings, the front end shack is going to throw me off the bike.

Is your profession in electrical work?

It looks like some Klein journeyman side cutters and scissors. The zipper pouches appear to have some other electrical hand tools.

Looks like a slyde flash light there too. I've had one a few years. It's a nice item.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I need to replace those dikes. I blow a chunk out of them last year cutting a live 120v wire. The slide flashlight was a gift from my cousin. It's a nice light but I've had it turn on in the tool box and drain the Lithium batteries. I work for a construction company and I work with critical power (UPS, generator) quite a bit. I don't pull wire but know the ropes and have decent tools so I can help friends, etc.

I need to replace those dikes. I blow a chunk out of them last year cutting a live 120v wire.

I know how that goes. I have a few hand tools that are blown out from similar incidents. I've got a wrench I keep around as a reminder of what 480v switchgear can do.
16f085288aed476352033a5a759cb45c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What is the story behind that?

My boss caught a tech bout to put a wrench on 480v DC live one day. The story is he turned off the battery cabinet breaker and thought it was safe to disconnect a battery string. The tools were not insulated and he didn't realize the batteries stay energized even with all breakers open.

What is the story behind that?

Stupidity. In a hurry. Wrong tools for the job. Cheap parts.

It was a classic case of setting myself up to fail.

The building owner did not want to shut power down (hotel)
I needed to get the power on ASAP to meet a deadline for the fiber optic provider. We had installed a transformer to power up a bunch of equipment on the roof (21 floors away) including a MUX for fiber.

Trying to meet customer on air dates, I was in a hurry. I didn't bother to wait until the next day to bring a set of insulated tools on site. I threw the breaker in (OEM) but the tap bars were aftermarket. They didn't fit very well. While tightening down the connections my wrench shorted out to a different phase, through the insulation, and I got to experience an arc flash from a 480V, 2000A system. It never would have happened if I used the right tools for the job.

Luckily, I was at least wearing gloves. One of which basically disintegrated. I received some minor burns on my hands, arm and face. Lost some hair. My ears were ringing for awhile after that. I lost my vision for a couple days. If you've ever had welders flash, my eyes felt similar to that but about 10X worse.

I consider myself lucky for walking away with minor injuries. To say I was nervous the next time I was inside a piece of gear is an understatement. It took some time to build the confidence back.

I see you mention 480v batteries. That's not something we are in to. We do batteries but more of the 24 and -48V variety. We deal with some pretty decent sized strings for all the Telecom equipment we work with. I saw a battery fire once. Impressive and scary at the same time. I'll leave that story for another time.

Wow, its been 10 months with no updates. I hit the build hard this last week and Installed Vrod headlight, HIDs, Rizoma turn signals, new Shinko Tourmasters, new rear fender, debadged side covers, did peashooter on carbs to clean out old ethanol gas, installed lithium iron battery off of my zx14, installed R/R on front of battery box. I just ordered progressive front springs. I still need to get front end shake sorted out. I'm going to get some parts ordered off Sean M soon and get the bike mechanically where I want it before I strip it down and paint the whole thing.
For Paint I'm thinking powder coat frame gloss black, gun metal grey for tank cover, fenders, and side covers (same gun metal grey I did engine with on last build), and satin black for most of the other surfaces. Also vapor blast engine and leave bare aluminum. Anyone know any vapor blasters in South Florida? Also, anyone have a rear grab bar for sale? I'll post some pics of progress soon.

Latest posts

Back