Gas cap woes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggLagg

Reaction score
Alright folks, here we go. Going to try and keep this as non convoluted and simple as possible.

Bought my 99 max in April. Been loving every twist of the throttle. The bike came with a Corbin seat installed. It's very comfortable but I can't stand the aesthetics of it. I purchased a stock seat off of kijiji (Canuck Craigslist) and it arrived today. Super minty, paid a song for it.
I take the Corbin off and go to install the factory seat. Nothing is lining up properly and then I notice the the P.O. Installed a longer neck onto the factory gas tank. Makes sense, as it's very easy to fill the tank now under the flap on the Corbin seat.
It's essentially a piece of thick rubber hose that's been band clamped in place. I remove the neck and find that the gas cap he used does not fit the factory Yamaha tank.

I called the stealership and (hope you're sitting down) it's going to be $178 for a GAS CAP. Apparently they were only made for the Gen1 vmaxes and a couple of scooters. Not a common part.

Does anyone on here know if another universal cap would be able to fit?
I'm not about to drop more than I paid for the seat to get a gas cap. That's just lunacy.

Any input would be appreciated.

Matt

Attachments

• IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
Yeah I've looked all over the net, eBay etc. It's all very pricey no matter what. I'm going to have a look at it again and see if there's anything more that can be done. Thanks for the fast reply!

I bought a cap for a VStar 1100 on EBay. The cap on the Roadstar fell apart, into the tank, so I bought this to replace it. Turns out it fit the Gen1 perfectly. I paid less than $20 for it.

It fit both the Roadie and the Max.

I've had a parts bike w/a gummed-up gas cap that I had to remove the gas tank & keep it upside down in solvent ( the filler neck) to dissolve the varnish which was holding the movable wedges in the cap from moving when using the key. So that required removing the tank, but cheaper than buying things new.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. It's amazing what a beer and some time looking at a problem will do. I ended up shortening the rubber hose and removing the "turnable" portion of the gas cap. Saved some clearance. Probably took about 4" out total. Clamped everything back in place and she's mint now!

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 29
My wife's gas cap on her 99 honda shadow 750 fit like an OEM gas cap. I tried it for the hell of it, not expecting it to fit and lock, joke was on me.

Latest posts

Back