Fuse for the headlight (15amp) blows

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-MAX BLACK

Reaction score
Hi
Please help me, I just bought this bike last week (1996 V-Max) and apparently the fuse for the headlight blows all the time. Initially there was a 10 amp fuse in the box, but I found out it should be 15 amp, anyways it still blows. The Bike has modified signal lights and headlights.
I started some faultfinding and I measured the fuse to draw 12,5 amp when on high beam and 7,5 amp on low beam. However I measured the impedance between the hot wire from the headlight fuse to the signal light fuse and it showed 72 ohms when light switch was enabled with the ingnition switch ON. When lights switch was off but the ignition switch was ON it shows around 7.2 ohms. Should these circuits be isolated from eachother or is it some diodes that makes them connected? I mean there are separated fuses for these circuits...
However, I cleaned the electric switches attached to the handle bars, bith. Then I opened the modified headlight and saw some wires beeing abit funky (ripped off), I fixed those and made everything neat. Then there was a connection switch that I saw had some deposits on it, I cleaned this one as well with some WD40.
Now when I measue between the 2 fuses ( headlight and Signal lights)it measures 160 ohms, but 7.2 ohms when light switch is off and ignition turned on.

I don't think its anything with the alternator, cause the amps on the fuse don't show higher even if I reved the engine.
Does anyone have aclue what the problem can be?
I also think the signal lights flickers abit rapidly than normal...
This bike is New to me, but I had a Honda Magna 1100 for 13 years, still driving it and never had any of these issues.
Hope to get some help soon. Thanks guys.

Unless you have a 186/ 90 watt bulb fitted then you need to look for a bad earth, a short or incorrect connection somewhere in the headlight circuit.

I would start by running a separate wire from the fuse to the bulb and see what the current draw is.
If it is still high then look at the earths and if back to a 'normal' value you will need to trace through the wiring to find the problem.

I have no idea what, if any, resistance there should be between fuses as this isn't a check I would do.

Hi

There are 2 light bulbs each of 55watts, then the lights on the instrument panel and tachometer/speedometer, so I guess 12.5 amps (55 watt would be around 4,5 amps)draw for all should be around normal on that circuit. There was some loose wires with bad insulation behind the headlight, maybe this caused the fuse to blow. However I am still wondering what the resistance between those 2 fuses should be and if it's normal to have any connectivity between them. There isn't any connectivity between the other 2 fuses.

Back