Pc fps

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man I was into the same games bud. Unreal Tournament Series, Quake Series. Started playing UT competitively in a clan running our own servers building our own maps the works. So much fun back then. Then the COD Series came out oh shit it was on from there. After a while though as you probably already know it all kind of went to hell. Peeps hacking the crap out of everything and killing it. Steam can't really keep up with it any longer and I don't think they put much effort into doing it anymore. Just way to hard and costly for them to stay ahead of the game. I still enjoy playing though. Far Cry rocks and has from day one. The FEAR series was good, as is Mass Effect and the DeusEX series Jeez man just way too many to list. Still rockin a hard core gaming rig staying ahead of the curve. Have you read up on the new Core X intel procs coming out? The Core i9 Extreme offering 18-cores and 36-threads. Oh man. Dude we could talk about this shit all day and nite.

So what are you playing now days?

Oh man I was into the same games bud. Unreal Tournament Series, Quake Series. Started playing UT competitively in a clan running our own servers building our own maps the works. So much fun back then. Then the COD Series came out oh shit it was on from there. After a while though as you probably already know it all kind of went to hell. Peeps hacking the crap out of everything and killing it. Steam can't really keep up with it any longer and I don't think they put much effort into doing it anymore. Just way to hard and costly for them to stay ahead of the game. I still enjoy playing though. Far Cry rocks and has from day one. The FEAR series was good, as is Mass Effect and the DeusEX series Jeez man just way too many to list. Still rockin a hard core gaming rig staying ahead of the curve. Have you read up on the new Core X intel procs coming out? The Core i9 Extreme offering 18-cores and 36-threads. Oh man. Dude we could talk about this shit all day and nite.

So what are you playing now days?

I really enjoyed FEAR, I have every Dues Ex, great games. I used to do some online play but your right. Every time I have gone in there is a lot of drama so I do quite a bit of single play. I used to be unbeatable in I76 online. Was addicted to WOW for awhile there. I really like PoE too. It's been mouse/keyboard since the days when I had to quite windows 3.1 and start Doom 2 in DOS because the old ass pentiums could never run windows AND a 3d game :clapping: having trouble with a DOS mouse driver and I actually got quite good at Doom2 with keyboard only. It was madness! Now and then I'll pull an older game out and dust it off. I recently fired up Red Faction, guerrilla and probably wasted far to much time with that fun classic. Bioshock is another one I like, and of course Borderlands 2. When I sit down to just pass a little time in single player Car Crys are a good go to. I just got Wildlands with my new vid card, have to update the HD and go to town to get fast enough internet to DL it. I'm anxious to give that a go. I fucking cant wait for Far Cry 5!!!

I'm looking at the Ryzen processor. I'm to cheap to go Intel otherwise I would. It looks like there will be a HP war between AMD and Intel. It sounds like you are a more computer savvy than I, I could learn some goodies from you. I generally stay a step or two behind cutting edge then frantically update when I install a cool game I cant play. My old processor just wont cut it with the GTX1080.

WoW man your bringing back some old school shit there dude. I still hit the MP servers for a few COD games, but nothing like before. I still really enjoy the single player story mode. Hopefully they'll keep making good games with a good story otherwise I'll be out of it for good. BTW nothing wrong with the Ryzen proc bud and it will be good to go with that 1080. Which is kinda of funny now that I think of it. You say your too cheap to go Intel, but you'll spend 5 or 6 hundred bucks on an Nvidia video card. LMAO to funny. Now Im curious, what are your system specs? What HW are you running bra? :eusa_dance:

I'm running an AMD 6-core 1090T, 16 g ram. Win7-64. Cant recall the MB but I know the processor and MB are my bottleneck. I use a 55" Samsung 4k 8500 as a monitor. Sound right out of the vid card HDMI and into my home theater. Still I can play the FCs in 4k with just about everything cranked up and it's smooth. Dying Light (I fukkin' love that game) can feel the pinch just a little. I have an ugly ass cheap black case with a metric fuckton of case fans. No show, Its ugly but it performs better than it should for the money invested. I'm tossing around liquid cooling because the vid card sounds like a fucking leaf blower when it warms up.

I bought the card because I know I will use it long past the time that it is cool and I wont upgrade until I find a game I want that it wont run. I stay behind cutting edge a step or two and can still run everything. I hang back on the tech curve a little but in viewing benchmarks I figured the GTX1080 would give me enough service to remain usable for quite some time. I sprung for it knowing that I might have to up the MB and processor. When it's not fast enough I may just buy another 1080 and SLI those bitches together, by then I should be able to get another for $200-ish. If nothing else I'll just let the computer sit there running, it will sure heat up a room on a cold day. I play vid games more to relax, in leu of TV usually and single player or LAN with ppl I know are my preferred poison.

Whats your setup?

:rocket bike: My Little Rocket :rocket bike:

Mobo = Asus ROG X99 Rampage V Edition 10
Proc = Intel i7-6900K 8 Core @ 4.5GHz
RAM = 32 GB G SKILL Ripjaws 3000MHz
Video GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition 11GB
Storage
OS Drive = Samsung 960Pro 512GB SSD-M.2 PCIe
Data/Programs Drive = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Games Drive = Samsung 850 Pro 2TB
Monitor = ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27” 2560x1440 1ms 165Hz G-SYNC
Liquid Cooling By EK 2 Custom loops all parts hand picked no kits.
Case = Corsair Obsidian 900D
Windows 7 Pro

:th_biggun:Frag on Bitches:th_biggun:

Dayum, thats a hotrod!

That should be able to run FC4 and Dying Light at the same time!

I think I'm going to have to liquid cool the vid card on this next build. Was thinking about ordering up a ryzen proc/mb/ram/fan bundle off newegg this week, or do you know of a better place?

AMD has a history of running hot. There are conflicting reports that the Ryzen runs hot, some say it does others say it doesn't. Doesn't matter really with the cost of a decent liquid cooling solution for your cpu now day's there is no reason to not get one. Shit man you can get something like the MasterLiquid 240 All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler with a Dual Chamber Pump off ebay for about $90. There are a lot of choices out there. The vid card does well on it's own so long as you have good air circulation on your case. So I would start with the cpu first and see how it goes. Nothing wrong with newegg. I would compare Amazon,Newegg,Ebay,Fry's "if you have one", or even Best Buy. The hardware is the hardware doesn't matter where you get it. Just find the best deal you can with a warranty and good return policy. What kind of case do you have or what kind of case are you looking to get? Also are you sure you want to stick with AMD? Last thing is, do you know about Moore's Law... It states...

Moore's law refers to an observation made by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore in 1965. He noticed that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since their invention. Moore's law predicts that this trend will continue into the foreseeable future.

And this is still pretty accurate. Send me some links to what your looking to build bud.

I will indeed. I have had some pretty rough customer service at Best Buy and around here their prices are not competitive. I like Newegg. I avoid Amazon since they started collecting tax locally and also they recently started to give discounts on prime to people on public assistance, I cant support that business model, fraid I've spent my last $ with Amazon.

I have family that uses Tiger, I'm good with Ebay or Newegg. I'll have a look at Frys.

The issue I have with my vid card is not heat, its the noise of the fans. My wife sleeps much better than I do, better if I can get it quieter than a table saw.

Here is an example of what I'm looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3517620
I kow there is one faster in the 1800 but the one I have damn near does it. I'm looking for that perfect price/performance point. As far as a case, really the very cheapest ugliest no frills case that will fit the hardware and give me ample cooling. I see some really purdy cases out there for upwards of $100. I want one that is plain jane and closer to $30-$40, like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...re=case_liquid_cooling-_-11-853-012-_-Product .
I see the cooler you mentioned, it looks like it's for CPU only. I'm not seeing any overheating going on, just trying to quiet it down and if the CPU fan is making any noise it's drowned out by the GPU fans that sound like a pair of commercial grade hair dryers. Maybe something like this would keep the temps in check with less noise. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...gpu_liquid_cooling-_-9SIA59T4BB6372-_-Product

I see some cases with integral liquid cooling but they dont look cost effective. Cost is a factor here. I dont see any systems that do all and it looks like different plates for different GPU and CPU setups. Maybe I'll leave the CPU air cooled, I dont think I'll need to OC it to get the adequate performance, but maybe.

You:
I cant support that business model, fraid I've spent my last $ with Amazon.

Me:
I totally get it. Myself I try and support my local PC Shops because I remember when I used to work at one and it was a pretty cool experience. Sometimes it’s hard though. Online pricing is so hard to beat and is part of what is taking the little PC shops out of business. Sucks man. No more personal relationships with your local tech. Not everyone can work on a PC. It's our old fogies I feel bad for. Pisses me off to see them get taken advantage of.

You:
The issue I have with my vid card is not heat, its the noise of the fans. My wife sleeps much better than I do, better if I can get it quieter than a table saw.

Me:
No doubt their bud. Keep the wife happy so she keeps you happy “if ya know what I mean” MooHaHa. :th_love031:

You:
Here is an example of what I'm looking at https://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...=Combo.3517620

Me:
Pretty good mobo. MSI is good to go. Nice features too and at a very decent price.

You:
I'm looking for that perfect price/performance point. As far as a case, really the very cheapest ugliest no frills case that will fit the hardware and give me ample cooling. I see some really purdy cases out there for upwards of $100. I want one that is plain jane and closer to $30-$40, like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-012-_-Product .

Me:
That’s the real trick… Finding the best bang for your buck on a budget. Not an easy thing to do sometimes. Takes a bit of research that can get real time consuming. If you can I would rethink the case thing. Im with ya on the part that it doesn’t have to look all purdy, but I would try and get something that you can use over the years for upgrading component’s. That being said, the one you picked out looks pretty good.

You:
I see the cooler you mentioned, it looks like it's for CPU only. I'm not seeing any overheating going on, just trying to quiet it down and if the CPU fan is making any noise it's drowned out by the GPU fans that sound like a pair of commercial grade hair dryers. Maybe something like this would keep the temps in check with less noise. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6372-_-Product

Me:
Shit man if your CPU isn’t getting to hot on a full load then sticking with air is just fine. Plus you can get some nice heatsink/fan combos at good prices all day long. As far as what you picked out to cool the vid card I don’t know anything about those. What I do notice though is all I see getting cooled is the GPU what about the RAM, MOSFET and VRM. So that part give me pause. Great idea though if it works good. About time to. So, it looks like you’re on your way to getting some frag time in without having to worry about overheating. What are you going to be using for HDD’s?

On the Amazon thing, I dont object to online shopping, in fact I rather like the trend. In these times we have to do what we must to save time and money. If I shop online I can avoid paying tax, fighting traffic and get a better price. I'm all in. I'm sorry for smaller businesses that cant compete but times change.

My objection was to Amazon specifically and how they now offer discounts to people on public assistance, so if your taking government hand-outs you get a discount on Prime services as well. I think thats fucked up and people that work and pay taxes should be rewarded with perks and discounts, not those that get to live off the money forcibly removed from the working mans bottom line. I dont even care about Prime services but it's the idea that a company would be so liberal as to present a middle finger like that to working, tax payers. So it's a matter of principle. That and they now collect sales tax on South Dakotans, strike 2. I'm OUT!! They can be liberals and I'll just spend my loot elsewhere haha.

Amazon can toss my salad :double angry bird:

On the rest of it I'll go with that case then, it looks big enough to fit this monstrous vid card. My HDDs are old, I just ordered a newer one because I needed the space. it's a WD blue 5400rpm 2tb I think. It's not here yet. I cant recall what the primary HD is. I'll have a look at frys today and compare some prices.

So um why don't you tell us how you really feel bud. :yelrotflmao:

So it sounds like you do know that those old HDD's will be the weak point in your rig right? When your at Fry's compare the prices on the SSD drives against the traditional HDD's. While your at it have a look at the performance difference between the two a well.

I read something about solid state being fast but slowing down dramatically as they get full. I heard that one of those with just the OS and a traditional HDD for extra content, does that hold water?

I really dont want to reload my OS but at some point I'm probably going to have to. This is an old HD. I didnt realize the difference in speed was that significant. I did plan on backing up content onto the new HD which was going to be a secondary SATA.

The SSD looks way more expensive, but if there is a return in speed it may well be worth it.

No that does not hold water. If you can afford it SSD or PCIe is the only way to fly man. Trust me I been doing this shit for a long time.

Fair enough, you obviously know more than I do so I'm grateful for the guidance. My next one will be SSD for sure.
It's all good man. I come here because you guys no way more then I about the Vmax. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

It's all good man. I come here because you guys no way more then I about the Vmax. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have learned a lot about the Vmax, and learning more as I go. I really do appreciate you taking the time to enlighten me on comp hardware, especially since I'm going to have to go back into it and bring more of her back up to date.

When I was a young tech, I would work with the middle aged system admins and they'd come to me asking about the latest hardware and I'd advise them on what to get. I remember telling myself "man when I get to that point, I'm still going keep up with hardware."

Now I'm 47 and sys admin for all of North America for a very large corp. I'm that guy I claimed I would never be lol. I used to build my own PCs. But now I just go down to Microcenter and let the young guys there build me one. I just tell them what I want to spend and they build me a good rig for that budget. I've been really happy with the results. I do it about once a year. Get me a new PC and then hand down my old one to my girlfriend. Then I give hers to my kids.

This year though I'm gonna give my PC to the girlfriend and use hers for a streaming PC.

And like Bushwacker, PC gaming is what got me into computers and ultimately down the career path of IT. I was in intel prior to that but PC gaming is what inspired me to learn about computer hardware.

I didn't know the first thing about PCs and was at a friends house and he sat me down in front of his PC and let me play the original DOOM. I was hooked. I literally bought my first PC purely to play one game -- DOOM. Started going around to LAN based DOOM tournaments and started winning money to pay for my next PC when DOOM2 came out. The bug bit me hard. Those were the days before plug and play and you had to modify config.sys and autoexec.bat files -- you had to figure out IRQs. You had to tweak modem init strings because different brands of modems often didn't play well with other brands of modems. I started my own BBS that hosted DOOM multiplayer maps and emulated LAN play. I remember spending WAY too much money on really good modems for the BBS. I remember when Id Software started talking about Quake in its early development and not only was it going to be a 3D game using polygons and requiring a Pentium processor because their engine leveraged the FPU not found in the 486, but it was going to TCP/IP rather than IPX. I remember them talking about Quake servers that people can stand up all around and just how foreign of an idea that was to gaming. Many "experts" had doubts about that part. I remember those old gaming services like MPlayer and TEN(Total Entertainment Network). I remember the days when John Carmack was the Steve Jobs of the Gaming Industry. Pushing hardware to its limits. Creating the concept of crafting a 3D engine and then licensing it other developers for their games. He really was a pioneer of the industry in regards to tech and infrastructure. John Romero was an overhyped wannabe IMO - Carmack was the mother fuckin' man.

Now the gaming industry is the fastest growing entertainment industry in the world. It makes way more money than most pro sports. There's a culture shift still ongoing. A lot of folks my age still think video games are just kids things. I remember sitting in the break room at work years ago and me and another co-worker were having a World of WarCraft talk. Another co-worker comes in and starts making fun of us. Asking very sarcastically "Oh how much strength does your paladin have? How much damage does your sword have?" I remember saying "How is what we're doing really any different than you sitting around talking about someone's batting average or quarterback rating? You're just a fat guy sitting in your recliner watching someone else play a game you sucked at and keeping up with stats on someone you dont even know. But by all means keep pretending you're somehow different." At least that's my perspective.

It will be interesting to see where the video game industry will be in 10 years in regards to interaction and entertainment. We dont see as many evolutions in gaming as we did a decade or two ago, but I know we still have them coming. Games that have great stories to tell with compelling characters that are just as entertaining as a movie or TV series. When I got my son a PS4 a few years back we got the game The Last of Us. I remember me and my girlfriend actually sitting down at times watching him play it because the characters and dialogue drew us in as if we were watching a good TV show. I don't remember much about the gameplay... but I'll never forget those characters Joel and Ellie. It was those characters and the voice acting that made that game so popular. Games like Witcher 3 are no different. It's not really the gameplay that makes Witcher 3 so great IMO, it's the world they built and the way the pull the player into it. That's the future of gaming I look forward to -- the new stories and the new ways developers tell it while allowing the players to be a part of it.

Sorry for the novel. I got carried away. :)

Latest posts

Back