86 Vmax project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Hey everyone! First off, I have recently acquired a running 86 Vmax. It does need some loving though. I found that the coolant tube was cracked and noticed that I can use the one off my 83 Venture. I'm curious to know what else can I use off the venture to improve or help with the max. I came across some info about using the rear end from the venture to give the max taller gearing to help with economy. I don't know how compatible my two are except for the coolant tube I'm going to use. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!

There's a few interchangeable parts. The venture final drive can be swapped to lower RPMs by about 10%, depending what year the donor Venture is I think you may need to re-drill shock mount holes or something, it's been a while since I looked into it. Sure one of the resident guru's can chime in there.

Generally, the Max was the newer, upgraded, more powerful version of the Venture engine. It's more common for Venture owners to swap in Max parts than vice versa.

The 83-85 Venture isn't very good for donor parts. The rear won't work at all. The 86-93 is a good donor choice.

Aren't the engine cases and the crankshaft usable from the early Venture?

Yes, you could use the case, swap in a set of vmax rods and pistons and have a vmax engine. If cheap and you haven't burned up your vmax engine completely it's a viable option. The rods can be reused but they are heavier and won't last as long under hard riding (still last well if you warm up the engine first).

Thanks for the confirmation Sean. I'll be sending you a message shortly.

Latest posts

Back