Stumble at high RPM, popping, and cool header

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was really windy out on that second ride, so hard to tell if it was better or same, other than smoother and sound. How would you know if the top end is too lean, backfires? It still pops when decelerating.

I see two K&N filter kits. One with one big filter and one with 4. Which is better?

The 4 individual pod filters are for a stg 7 set-up.

You don't need to synch after a needle adjustment. Pushing and pulling the carb rack into/out of the boots will require you to synch. A simple needle adjustment isn't going to knock them out.

Did you pull the pilot jets and clean them?

Did you check the coasting enricheners?

There are some stickies in the carbs section that describe how to test the carbs circuits.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1024

You don't want the 4 pod setup. That will require air restrictors and works best with aftermarket exhaust.

You can buy the regular K+N filter but it doesn't really add any air because the airbox itself is the restriction, not the filter

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You don't need to synch after a needle adjustment. Pushing and pulling the carb rack into/out of the boots will require you to synch. A simple needle adjustment isn't going to knock them out.

Did you pull the pilot jets and clean them?

Did you check the coasting enricheners?

There are some stickies in the carbs section that describe how to test the carbs circuits.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1024

You don't want the 4 pod setup. That will require air restrictors and works best with aftermarket exhaust.

You can buy the regular K+N filter but it doesn't really add any air because the airbox itself is the restriction, not the filter

I ended up doing a full rebuild. All enriching diaphragms look good. Cleaned all jets. Replaced float needles. Carbs were completely stripped and ultrasonic cleaned.

Well I went to do the a/f mixture and couldn't even get it to idle up or down. I know why now. It's rich as hell like you guys were telling me.

Adjusted all to 3.5 turns out: didnt like it.
3.0 turns: didnt like it.
2.5 turns: run was smooth with no hesitation.
2.0 turns: was harder hitting when the v-boost kicked in, but kinda flat getting there.
1.5 turns: got rained out, gonna have to check later.

It was really cool to see how leaning it with the a/f affected the power.

It is just a weird transition to the v-boost right now. I'm not sure how well this power curve is going to work with my setup. I'm gonna get a few new smaller jets.

ALSO, go with the 170 PAJ2's. What happens is that the 177's let in more air (to take care of the needles...etc, being too rich) PAJ2 affects off idle all thru to redline.

ALSO, go with the 170 PAJ2's. What happens is that the 177's let in more air (to take care of the needles...etc, being too rich) PAJ2 affects off idle all thru to redline.

I found the 150's online, but having trouble finding the 170's.:ummm:

Anyone know who may sell the E-clips that go on the jet needles for the slider (not online)? So far I know Home Depot and Auto Zone don't. Looks like the Radio Shacks have closed down.

Anyone know who may sell the E-clips that go on the jet needles for the slider (not online)? So far I know Home Depot and Auto Zone don't. Looks like the Radio Shacks have closed down.
Local mom n pop hardware shop? That's where I go for that stuff. There is a local hardware shop that has a couple isles of hardware. Amazing what I can find in there.

Local mom n pop hardware shop? That's where I go for that stuff. There is a local hardware shop that has a couple isles of hardware. Amazing what I can find in there.

Well, I have had no luck locally. I even looked at Elliots hardware (a local hardware store specializing in hard to find stuff) and the smallest they went down to was a M4. It looked like it was a little big, so I must need to order a M3 online.

Latest posts

Back