overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn

Reaction score
changed thermostat flushed rad 4 times and hoses rebuilt water pump changed center vent o rings fire it up ten minutes or less heat guage in red I am at a loss as to what to try next.i will remove thermostat to see if it makes a differance.i have tried to look at other threads about overheating but not really any solutions.anyone have this problem and fixed it would be appreciated.

Have you tried the fan override switch?
I hooked one up for less than $1.00 and i leave it on all the time.
I can also turn it off when i want.

Last edited:
was over heating before had oil in water but not water in oil.I figured it was plugged up.rebuilt water pump.flushed system,went for ride.30 minutes to overheat .drained water oil in water again. flushed everything again.Changed center vent o rings. while I was there, I changed carb joints and intake o rings.Ialso changed valve cover gaskets.There was no sludge in around cams.I could see vent o ring failure.thought I had it fixed.Fired it up on stand.Less than 10 minutes fan is on temp guage is touching red.It never runs this hot.turned it off and it started bubbling but not overflowing.It has a new rad cap and thermostat.I will check again tomorrow but Iam getting depressed.what am I missing?

What about the rad cap ? It the cooling system can't maintain pressure the water/coolant would boil quickly. Just a guess.

Doug

The temp switch for the radiator fan must have a good ground, and no air pocket, did you jump across the terminals to see if the fan worked? Try running a manual switch for fan.

10 minutes to overheat is quick. Taking the T-stat out just mask the issue. Are you still getting oil in the water? The water pump seal may have been that cause. Does the cooling system build irregular high pressure within the first few minutes of running? It's possible a head gasket may be leaking. I'd eliminate that as an issue.
Steve-o

You can also pull the small cylinder covers and rubber plugs under them (use a spark plug to thread in the center and pull). This gets the coolant out of the heads but might let you see in there and see if there is any build up.

I know this was mentioned already, but be sure to have the radiator cap tested. I had a similar issue last year that turned out to be the cap. Any auto parts store should be able to do it.

Try running it on the centerstand, with the rad cap off and watch for bubbles, which would indicate a head gasket leak.
Or go to an auto shop and let them pressure check cooling system.

Also, an auto shop can test for CO gases evaporating from the coolant. You can also pressurize the cylinder with the piston @ TDC
and look for air bubbling out of the coolant. 100 psi. of air should do it. As long as the internals are decent. Engine at operating temp.

burped itself overnight.Checked coolant level.It was low.Topped it off,took it for a ride.No issues,back to normal.Now my headlight and dash lights went out.IT never ends

burped itself overnight.Checked coolant level.It was low.Topped it off,took it for a ride.No issues,back to normal.Now my headlight and dash lights went out.IT never ends
Check and see if your starter button is sticking just a bit. If you physically pull it out....the headlight and everything should come on.

I hope this not in your case but in cars - Generally a blown headgasket would have coolant in the engine oil as- or mix in the coolant . The coolant is under higher pressure.

Check and see if your starter button is sticking just a bit. If you physically pull it out....the headlight and everything should come on.
I had my headlight shell completely torn apart and waiting in line at the Thunder tech line when I discovered (remembered is more like it) the issue. I put it all back together and quietly parked Redbone, humbled greatly that I didn't check this sooner. At least I didn't waste Damon or Tyler's time, they would have never let me live that one down!:whistlin:

Hi dont want to be rude but working my whole working life with heating problems in pulp and paper process industri I feel used to problems like that but after a Year with my VMax 1700 2009:
How the hell has anyone not tried to make Yamaha responsible from beginning for a very bad designed radiator system ? This is shit from beginning! I have bought mine used.....
Im getting crazy with all "solutions" to solve tYamaha problems as seen here on several places. manual fans operation ? 2019 !!!
Sorry but just now Im less of that "fantastic bike" with "under powered coóling"
// Lars

I have been running bikes for over 50 Years most brand with plus and minus on all but NO brand like Yamaha has problem with their cooling design.....
my TX 750-1973 has underdimensioned oil cooling system; motor last not long 1000-3000 miles.....
cooling on my Vmax 1992 was not so bad but functioned til I sell It better than my 1700 at least!
My two xtz- 660 single cylinders -99 and 2004 was exceptions they were both fully ok but low power bikes..... Yamaha can make small bikes vey good!
My question is: Can Yamaha make a full performance bike without theses failures on cooling ?
Your experience please!
// Lars

Nothing wrong with the cooling system is it's maintained properly. It might get "warm" by the gauge, so unless it's boiling the coolant out of the expansion tank, there is nothing wrong with the cooling system. Hell my stock Dodge pickup comes with a 210 degree F thermostat, much warmer than the Vmax. Inadequate cooling would result in boiling coolant, head gasket failure, melted Pistons, spun crank bearings, and overheated engine oil. Even car engines get warmer while in traffic, or stopped. My 78 goldwing would get up to 3/4 on the gauge on summer days in upstate NY 75-80 degrees F. Fan would kick on and it would cool down. First you stated your v max got warm in traffic or when stopped then you stated your 1800 goldwing wouldn't go over half way when ridden hard, Wich I imagine it wouldn't while it's moving and had air flow to the radiator. Run your v max hard and see where the temp gauge goes. I got a 2018 Vmax and have had 0 issues with it overheating. It gets up to 3/4 fan comes on and it cools down but only in traffic, or when I'm stopped. Riding it runs around half way.

Last edited:
Sorry mate dont want discuss in the same way Your President does right now all time long but #fake news#.... "maintaned" properly (whats that sorry. You have to describe...) still this bike going higher temp unstable than other motorcycles/cars...... lots of owners are not certified by this... why dont they ask Yamaha about that ?
Dodge pickup =Yamaha ?
// Lars

Latest posts

Back