brake/clutch levers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that I had the problem with the clutch lever too. I used the bushing that came with the lever, and clutch slipped. I swapped the oem lever back on and the clutch was fine. The factory bushing is pretty worn out. I might just try drilling the hole deeper on the new bushing and see if I can make that work. I would just buy a new bushing but $5 + $6 shipping on just a bushing is a little more than I want to spend on something so cheap and small.

In my case, the new bushing is stainless steel, not easy to drill with conventional bits hence me grinding a little bit off the actuator arm.

Chris

When you get them check the Black part on each lever, the Clutch side should have L51 stamped on it and the Brake side should have R45 stamped on it.
Those are the numbers we know fit without modification.
will do sir! thanks for the heads up.

The levers came in.......and they are indeed stamped r45 and l51. So far, so good. Weather in Colorado is supposed to be nice enough for me to work on the bikes this weekend....Maybe a short ride sunday.....we will see.

Here is an update on the levers......clutch side went well. Used the OEM bushing. The brake side I am still trying to work out. There is a lot of slop. There is a lot of play until the brake actually starts to engage. The OEM lever has a screw that is for this adjustment (I believe ). Somebody transfered the screw and nut but I don't see how that is possible on my lever.

All I did was remove the Stock Brake Lever (by removing the bolt and nut noted in the picture below) and install the Adjustable Lever in it's place.
attachment.php

Just be sure the little piston which comes out of the brake master and all it's associated parts are still where they were for the stock lever.

PS
I just went out and checked mine and it engages the brake light with only about 1/4-1/2" of pull.
Almost No play in mine at all.

Attachments

• Adjustable_Brake_Lever-2.jpg
    Adjustable_Brake_Lever-2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 119
Those are adjustable levers....is the adjustment lever all the way over?

no matter where I have the adjuster set, there is still a lot of pull in the lever before the lever makes contact with the part that actuates the brake. (Sorry for my lack of technical terms)

Hey guys, I've tried these aftermarket levers and They don't work for me. My problem is the part of the lever that pushes the brake plunger in. The stock one has an adjustable screw that really sticks out a fair bit. These other all have just a slightly raised/rounded bump that doesn't come close to contacting the brake cylinder so I have 1/4 inch or 6mm of play before my brakes engage.

Matt

This is my situation also. Did you find a solution?

Another question....are you running stock brakes....or the FZR 6 pot calipers? Those have more leeway in them....IE the lever will travel further before the brakes start to engage.

I believe I am running stock. I have done no modifications to the brakes. Except for the new lever.

on the high side of 1/4 inch. I'm talking about the end of the lever that actually makes the contact, not the lever "grip" itself...

Well what I'm asking is how far does the lever have to travel before the brakes are engaged? 1/4 of the way? Halfway to the throttle?

The reason why I'm asking these questions is this. I have the same gap in mine....and not been an issue. The FZR calipers that I run on mine, have a little bit more travel in the lever (the lever travels further, than with the stock calipers), and I have my adjustment set at 4.

Having a lever that has some travel to it, is a good thing, that way you can engage the brakes just a little bit.....or a lot....if you chose. Some people like a brake that "fully" engages, with very little travel. They say....well the brake locks up.....so thats a good thing. Actually its not. A brake that locks up is dangerous. If its locked up....your sliding and not in control.

Here are pics of my set up.

Attachments

• P1000252.jpg
    P1000252.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 66
  • P1000253.jpg
    P1000253.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 60
  • P1000254.jpg
    P1000254.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P1000255.jpg
    P1000255.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 58
I get your point. Ideally I would want something somewhere in the middle of where it is now. It is just a different feel than the stock lever. I will play with the adjuster and see where I like the feel the best. Thanks for your help!

Your welcome....i figured that instead of 20 questions....it would be easier to post pics.

Can't really see the levers from this view but here is the finished product....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1425764662016.jpg
    FB_IMG_1425764662016.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 52
nice set up! @DMAN999 I am looking to replace my stock levers for clutch/brake as well. Where did you buy and do you know if pretty much any universal adjustable levers from Amazon will swap perfectly without any modifications?

Hi bought a cool set of ebay, make sure you buy the levers which use your original bolts, heard sum not so good on You tube . So far mine are fine.

Latest posts

Back