best tire and size for stock rims

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give the shinkos a try. They're pretty good price and they are pretty grippy tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was happy with the Metzler 880 in a 170 width on my stock rim when i still had stock rims, lol. Didnt have to do the washer swap with them either.

I ran a 120/90/18 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the front, based on some other folks doing this. I did not have any noticeable issues except for some shaking at speeds above 80 mph (which could be related to a host of things).

Today, after a fender bender literally cracked my front fender off, I found the following mark of rubber tire ( top is the middle of the front fender, bottom of the plastic is the front of the fender):

364b4b2a338ac358b727abee597de31e.jpg

I will be going back to stock size for the front.

Ps I have had no issues with running a 170 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the back. Super grippy, much more planted feel compared to the OEM Dunlop Qualifier I had.

I ran a 120/90/18 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the front, based on some other folks doing this. I did not have any noticeable issues except for some shaking at speeds above 80 mph (which could be related to a host of things).

Today, after a fender bender literally cracked my front fender off, I found the following mark of rubber tire ( top is the middle of the front fender, bottom of the plastic is the front of the fender):

364b4b2a338ac358b727abee597de31e.jpg

I will be going back to stock size for the front.

Ps I have had no issues with running a 170 Shinko Tourmaster 230 on the back. Super grippy, much more planted feel compared to the OEM Dunlop Qualifier I had.

Thanks for the post- I have an '85 so I can take the fender off without taking the tire off-looked inside and NO tire mark. I am running the shinko tourmaster 12/90/18.
I would check the fork springs.

I have progressives and a UFO fork brace. The tire was a close fit when I installed it. Perhaps the UFO brace positions the front fender a tad lower?

Also the fender is mounted under the brace, which rides with thrower forks, so there should be no issue with springs as the tire, front fender and fork brace are all attached to the lower forks and ride up and down the fork assembly together.

I'm pretty sure the rub mark is a result of tire expansion during high speed.

I have progressives and a UFO fork brace. The tire was a close fit when I installed it. Perhaps the UFO brace positions the front fender a tad lower?

Also the fender is mounted under the brace, which rides with thrower forks, so there should be no issue with springs as the tire, front fender and fork brace are all attached to the lower forks and ride up and down the fork assembly together.

I'm pretty sure the rub mark is a result of tire expansion during high speed.

I'm pretty sure it is exactly what you just said- the fork brace is thicker.
Yes tires expand at higher speed But only at those times?

Anyone used Michelin Commander 2 tyres? Im in the market and a reputable shop has suggested them but they are not cheap.
Neither is getting hurt though.

I got my new bike home yesterday and found fork oil on the left caliper so I have used my luck for now.

Anyone used Michelin Commander 2 tyres? Im in the market and a reputable shop has suggested them but they are not cheap.
Neither is getting hurt though.

I got my new bike home yesterday and found fork oil on the left caliper so I have used my luck for now.

Buy tires on the internet yourself, www.motorcyclesuperstore.com. has good pricing. Then have the shop install them. Take a look at dyna beads too. Shinko, Metzler, Michelin, and others are very reasonably priced.
Steve-o

Thanks for that but the freight might kill it - New Zealand is pretty far away :)
I will get them fitted locally though as Im in a small town.
It gives me a chance to sort the oxidized wheels too.

Alright, read the whole thread because I just helped a friend acquire his first Max a 95. I ride my original 85 which I bought new. I've tried just about every tire combination and for the last 4K I've been running the 170/80/15 Venom and a 100/90/18 Venom and this combination removed all head shake, has a quicker response and great ride.

Now the problem is that Avon ditched the Venom... It appears that the new Cobra 170/80/15 is the same tire. However there is no 100/90/18 anymore! The only option seems to be the Storm 3D XM AV65 100/90ZR18. The tread looks close so if anyone knows where we can get the 100/90/18 Venom chime in!

Latest posts

Back