VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AFTER TALKING TO SEVERAL TECH LINES , J&P CYCLES , MOBIL #1 , AMSOIL , AND EVEN CALLING THEM ALL BACK THE NEXT DAY AND TALKING TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE , & EVEN GOING ONTO SOME OTHER FORUMS , AND EVEN A GSXR FORUM I JUST CONVERTED OVER TO AMSOIL MCF1G-CA 10W-40 SYNTHETIC & ORDERED ZDDP FROM EASTWOOD'S ! ... :punk: .. http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oil .... http://amsoil.firebirdnation.com/zddp.php?gclid=CJzCk-Ca86ACFQtx5Qod33g4Ig ... http://www.eastwood.com/zddp-plus-oil-additive-10-pack.html ... :punk:

Hey Tim, maybe those are really good oils, but I just cant say enough for the Rotella T 15w40. Especially since I was at Sam's Club and bought a case (3 gal ) for $32.00 That is almost 4 oil changes for that cost. JMO.

Hey Tim, maybe those are really good oils, but I just cant say enough for the Rotella T 15w40. Especially since I was at Sam's Club and bought a case (3 gal ) for $32.00 That is almost 4 oil changes for that cost. JMO.

Yeah and they have the ZDDP in them... I use the 5W40 which I like even better than the 15W40.

I still think this oil thing is a bunch of hype! If you're running up around redline all the time, or really stressing the engine....yeah, something like amsoil or royal purple may be what you should be using. But for the normally driven bike....Rotella T, changed regularly with filter is more than adequate protection.

I still think this oil thing is a bunch of hype! If you're running up around redline all the time, or really stressing the engine....yeah, something like amsoil or royal purple may be what you should be using. But for the normally driven bike....Rotella T, changed regularly with filter is more than adequate protection.

Agreed 100%

Chris

I am going to change my oil as soon as my new filters get here. Rotella T for me too - as recommended here. I'll give my review soon...

What's the going price for the 5-40 these days and who carries it? I don't think the Walmart near me carries it anymore.

I get mine at Auto-Zone but not sure how much.

I won't shop at a wal-mart unless it's the only place in town.

Chris

I tried the Mobil one 15-40 and 5oo miles later my clutch started slipping so bad I was not sure I would make it home. Drained it out changed filter added Rotella T and 40 miles later i could not make my clutch slip.

Best deal...got one sorta near me:thumbs up:

Whoops thought that was 5-40..OK still looking then...

New owner, first time oil changer. Filter question.
How long do you guys leave on your K&N filter? Longer than regular filters?
The 303s are one time use right?
I saw on Ebay a K&N filter they say lasts 50,000 miles. I assume that this is a re-usable filter and you have to clean it periodically and not just leave it on 50k miles, right?
Thanks

I've not seen a cleanable K&N filter. Scotts makes them though.

I replace my filter with every oil change on all my vehicles. I use Mobil 1 M-110's on my max.

I also use Shell Rotella 5W40 in both of my bikes.

Chris

i replace my K&N after every oil change, about 2k miles.

I change the filter with each oil change, if for no reason other than the filter holds a fair bit of old, dirty oil, and will instantly contaminate the new oil as soon as you start the motor. The local Advance auto carries a Fram filter that fits the v-max, forget the part number.

I also stick magnets around the outside of the filter, and one on the end. You can buy powerful magnets at most hardware store for a buck or two. Upon cutting the filter open, there's big wads of sludgy goo stuck on the walls where the magnets were. More crap that isn't in the motor....great way to "boost" the effectiveness of the filter.

I change the filter with each oil change, if for no reason other than the filter holds a fair bit of old, dirty oil, and will instantly contaminate the new oil as soon as you start the motor. The local Advance auto carries a Fram filter that fits the v-max, forget the part number.

I also stick magnets around the outside of the filter, and one on the end. You can buy powerful magnets at most hardware store for a buck or two. Upon cutting the filter open, there's big wads of sludgy goo stuck on the walls where the magnets were. More crap that isn't in the motor....great way to "boost" the effectiveness of the filter.

I just ordered an oil drain plug with a magnet built into it. Should attract the same stuff....

I bet that if you had the magnetic drain plug AND the magnets on the filter they all would still pick up a bunch of stuff. I have the magnetic drainplug (nice bright red one of course) and it picks up a bunch of stuff each time.
More magnets = mo' better!

+1 on that RC. There was mobile 1 in my Max when I bought it ,12,000 miles on the clock. Clutch slipped under load. Changed the fibers, which weren't bad , and bead blasted the steel plates, which weren't burnt. I did do the extra fiber disk, but used 15w 40 Rotella and have had great clutch ever since.
Steve

Latest posts

Back