Is this kit enough and a good price?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the wires long enough for this? I read something about the stock connectors sometimes melting if they corrode too much.

I'm not sure if mine are, but if they aren't then I was planning on cleaning them up before I install the new one.

On the red & black wire I usually just cut the connectors off & solder however much wire on I need & then put a ring terminal on the end to hook to the battery. As far as the 3 wire connector I like leaving it on just make sure its clean & put a little dialectric grease.

On the red & black wire I usually just cut the connectors off & solder however much wire on I need & then put a ring terminal on the end to hook to the battery. As far as the 3 wire connector I like leaving it on just make sure its clean & put a little dialectric grease.

Is this much better than just plugging them into clean stock connectors? If so I'll see if I can do it, just wondering is all.

If I was to do it, the only way I could would be to use those wire caps instead of solder (I haz no solder gun or correct solder type for that matter, or money to get them)

And WHOA. Just realized the new r/r I ordered (with the fins) has two of the white plugs where as my 85 one only had one of the white plugs.

What to do with the extra?

Is this much better than just plugging them into clean stock connectors? If so I'll see if I can do it, just wondering is all.

If I was to do it, the only way I could would be to use those wire caps instead of solder (I haz no solder gun or correct solder type for that matter, or money to get them)

And WHOA. Just realized the new r/r I ordered (with the fins) has two of the white plugs where as my 85 one only had one of the white plugs.

What to do with the extra?

The old style grounds on the bracket that is why you see an extra plug. You need to at least run that one to the battery. DO you have any butt connectors & wire crimpers ? I don't usually recommend them but they would get you by until down the road when you could solder them.

The old style grounds on the bracket that is why you see an extra plug. You need to at least run that one to the battery. DO you have any butt connectors & wire crimpers ? I don't usually recommend them but they would get you by until down the road when you could solder them.
Ok that sounds like a good idea.

I can get some for about $10 total I hope, I'll probably need them to put on my new signals as well.

Any specific types of connectors to use? I assume I can just cut off the connection boot, strip down to the ground wires, twist them, and run them into a couple with a new wire that attatches to the battery - terminal?

I know Harbor freight has some electrical wire connect kits and shrink wrap also Walmart then again like Kyle said you can do temp job .I would be willing on a nice day bring some tools over and do a more permanent solder and shrink wrap .

I know Harbor freight has some electrical wire connect kits and shrink wrap also Walmart then again like Kyle said you can do temp job .I would be willing on a nice day bring some tools over and do a more permanent solder and shrink wrap .

I can go grab an electrical connect kit then, I scheduled everything out around my classes so it'll be more or less ready to ride by next monday/tuesday; if we happen to have a nice day while you're free before then! :punk:

Here are pictures of my R/R I installed under the LH scoop. Be sure to use 12 awg wire to run from R/R to battery, 14 awg wire is ok for adding to the stator to RR wire if needed to reach your R/R mounting location.
2014-08-02 15.48.51.jpg 2014-08-02 15.48.57.jpg
I used parts sourced from Eastern Beaver but you could also use the factory connectors as well.

Hahaha! Tell me about it. I might as well go become a mechanic after I finish this bike up :bang head:

Or.......finish college, get a high paying job, and pay a mechanic to sort your bike problems? :a014:

Hey, it don't hurt to think ahead. :biglaugh:

Or.......finish college, get a high paying job, and pay a mechanic to sort your bike problems? :a014:

Hey, it don't hurt to think ahead. :biglaugh:

Hahaha alright now captain logic. Yea I can't even imagine bringing home full, well paid paychecks. Pretty excited to finish up my computer science degree.

I feel like something is wrong here... I opened my fuse box and see the regular stack of 4, and top to bottom they read:

I have a feeling this is wrong... I saw the values were different in the manual for later years. Can someone confirm what mine should be from top to bottom? It's an 85

30 AMP is under seat I checked my 85 under faux tank 15 10 10 10

Perfect! Thanks.

I'm hoping when I get her all back together I won't have a bad stator. I'm mostly worried because it would shut down on me *unexpectedly* on two consistent occasions:

1) I could be cruising at 6k rpm and eventually it would bog down and die

2) I could be cruising fine at like 5k per say, then pull in the clutch to slow down at a stop light, and it would just out right die.

I mean it would die for other reasons at times it shouldn't but those times were all remotely controllable, so not *unexpected.

I think at least one of those two symptoms calls for a bad Stator :bang head:

Hopefully one was the r/r and the other was the rusty tank/fuel filter I'm cleaning!

Por-15 works real good. And for some other things to.

You may find a good gas tank to on ebay to. Are here in the forum.

Have you used a flash light to look in the tank.

Make sure you go the brakes...... I would hate to here you out riding come to find your brakes went out...

Por-15 works real good. And for some other things to.

You may find a good gas tank to on ebay to. Are here in the forum.

Have you used a flash light to look in the tank.

Make sure you go the brakes...... I would hate to here you out riding come to find your brakes went out...

I would be open to returning the POR15 type kit that I got for 50 and getting a new tank for 50 but I doubt I could find a nice one for that price haha, especially coated

And yes I have, it looks like TOTAL crap. I mean the fresh gas I put in looks like liquid mud, and when I ran out and looked the bottom was coated in what looked like a rust blanket. She's definitely dirty.

And yea the brakes are important xD I hear they help to keep you safe hahaha

I would be open to returning the POR15 type kit that I got for 50 and getting a new tank for 50 but I doubt I could find a nice one for that price haha, especially coated

And yes I have, it looks like TOTAL crap. I mean the fresh gas I put in looks like liquid mud, and when I ran out and looked the bottom was coated in what looked like a rust blanket. She's definitely dirty.

And yea the brakes are important xD I hear they help to keep you safe hahaha

The gas tanks inside may have to be sand blasted, Before the por-15

You can try installing a mix screws in the tank and shaking to some music real good. This works sometimes to. But I would check ebay and ask here to. you never no unless you try.

Back