Is this kit enough and a good price?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget about vent hole at the top of tank..I sent you a text about harbor freight get on their mailing list for coupons and catalogs jackstands 20 bucks

Don't forget about the fuel outlet pipe also. I goes to the very bottom of the tank, it you don't shove a large wire before sealing the tank it will or possibly block the entrance of the fuel line.....

Don't forget about the fuel outlet pipe also. I goes to the very bottom of the tank, it you don't shove a large wire before sealing the tank it will or possibly block the entrance of the fuel line.....

I blew air into it as the coating started to setup a little. Just to make sure it was clear.

Awesome thanks for reminding me as that had totally left my mind xD

But now that you mention it, maybe some guitar string as Jamie suggested or some other wire or thin pipe would work, I suppose anything long enough and thin enough :D

I used a piece of light gage motorcycle control cable, splayed out a little on the end, to punch out and clean the fuel tube in my used replacemnt tank.

If I were coating my Vmax tank, I would invert the tank when done coating it and use immediate and several frequent compressed air blasts to clear the pipe, while coating is curing. Make sure and position the tank so that coating doesn't pool over the vent tube area.
Seal the fuel pipe exit end well with tape before coating and very little will go up the pipe to be blown out. be sure and blow out the vent too.
A wire stuck in there for coating blockage is going to reduce fuel passage to the wire size, which is much smaller than the pipe i.d.

JMHO,
Wayne

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-From-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Ta/

Before:

FFSBDB2GALHA7BI.MEDIUM.jpg

After:

FPUCFDMI504XRFH.LARGE.jpg

Baking soda/H2O & a battery charger, and a short piece of naked steel. Do the electrolysis process, wash it out, and you’re ready for the POR-15 or whatever you choose. Then coat it.

The sacrificial anode coated w/the crap that will ruin your carbs:
FQNXMJDI4YTO3FU.LARGE.jpg

He makes a good point, don't use a digital battery charger, an old-fashioned low-amp one will work fine. Can you say, Schumacher? I have one that's 50 years old, probably. It works.

I suggest this is the best way to inexpensively restore your tank, and it won't hurt your paint. Plus, when you see the results from this home-chemistry, it will make you feel like these guys:
070612_mr_wizard.jpg

Latest posts

Back