overheating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry mate dont want discuss in the same way Your President does right now all time long but #fake news#.... "maintaned" properly (whats that sorry. You have to describe...) still this bike going higher temp unstable than other motorcycles/cars...... lots of owners are not certified by this... why dont they ask Yamaha about that ?
Dodge pickup =Yamaha ?
// Lars

So Honda goldwing = Yamaha Vmax??
Xtz 660= Yamaha Vmax??
It's sad you had to drag politics into this conversation, if your unhappy with your Vmax sell it. Maybe you could try a lower temp. Thermostat if one is available. It seems you just refuse to accept that it's the nature of the beast........ Maybe YOU should take it up with Yamaha, after all your the one complaining. We've offered you solutions, tried to help you. I wish you luck, and be safe.

Sorry but do You work for Yamaha ?
Seems so as You dont think a bad construction is a up to deliverer to fix !
I love my VMax but dont have dark glasses on.... THATs reality sorry mate life is short !
// Lars

The thermostat is not the problem opens ok but the radiator area is to small ......thats the problem

Maybe you have a blockage somewhere, coolant should be changed every 5 years to prevent corrosion of the cooling system. You bought it used, maybe the previous owner neglected to do maintenance on it. I live where 100 degrees F is normal with 100 percent humidity and my temp gauge goes no father than the 3/4 mark, in traffic at complete standstill, the fan works and cools it down like it should, riding on the open road it runs about 1/2 way, I see no problem with the cooling system, if it's boiling coolant then there is a problem. My gen 1 was the same way, right along with my 78 goldwing. They did run a little cooler in the winter time. I was in the mountains last weekend on my 18 in 50 degree F rainy weather and it ran half way the whole time stopped or moving it never moved, until I got back down into the warmer humid air. Is it circulating when the thermostat opens??

Bought mine fully functional, no problems on my end. you changed the coolant, checked the temp. When the thermostat opens, no blockages, thermostat good. So if I understand your worried about the temp. Swing from half way to 3/4 on the gauge when sitting in traffic. The coolant will only circulate into the radiator when the thermostat opens, to cool the engine temp. So it doesn't melt down. You haven't stated if it's boiling the coolant?? So if it's not boiling, and it's circulating, and the thermostat is good, then I'd say the cooling system is working as it should. But, it wouldn't hurt to do a flush maybe the scale deposits that build up inside the engine are holding a little extra heat to keep it from cooling like it should. Cooling system is the simplest thing on an engine (water cooled) not much to it. 50/50 mix won't boil until it reaches 220 degrees F. Soo what temp. Is the engine at when it's at the 3/4 mark?? And at what temp. Does the thermostat open??

Still NO answer ; DO You work for Yamaha and how to get a good function on cooling ? NO answer ???
All other things You describe I know as Im a process- and mechanical engineer since 50 years ago so I have some mechanical know how long time ago problem is normal cooling systems dont behave like the VMax 1700...
Why argue to me about that ? You have the same bad function system as I have !
//Lars

Bahaha I don't know why you think I work for Yamaha, just trying to understand your thinking. Maybe you could try a lower temp. Thermostat because the radiator only cools when the thermostat opens or maybe you could try a high volume water pump. There isn't much room for a bigger radiator. I think your the first Vmax owner that's this paranoid about it. I just don't see a problem with it, I feel it's from lack of air flow, once I get back up to speed it maintains at half way, same as with my 97 Vmax. I suppose you could go with a thicker core radiator, but then you run risk of hitting the front tire, could go wider, but then you run risk of hitting it onto the road surface when you lean into a turn. Without talking to the designers and knowing why they designed it this way we don't have a clue. It's the nature of the beast, every other Vmax owner says the same thing, so it's normal. Yeah, maybe it is a little inefficient (depends on opinion), but it's not boiling and puking coolant all over. It's a Vmax and they have things that make it standout from every other motorcycle, they are unique, and I just accept it, nothing much we can do for the cooling system anyways, it is what it is. I applaud you on getting the temp. From half way to the 3/4 mark, 160 degrees to 180 degrees, coolant water mixture boils at 220 degrees. Nothing to worry about, unless it continues to rise. The V4 is unique, and can't be compared to the flat 4 or 6 of the goldwing. The V4 is shrouded front, top, and back and shoe horned into the frame, so it retains allot of heat, especially the rear 2 cylinders. Yes the goldwing has allot body panels, but they also help attribute to the cooling like a shroud on a car or truck. And you gotta stop and think that the radiator is mearly inches from the engine on the Vmax, so it depends on air flow to keep it cool, not the same design as a goldwing. My GL1000 was wide open behind the radiator with atleast 6 inches or more to the air cleaner housing, and no restrictions like the front 2 cylinders on the Vmax. The Vmax is already a long bike, they could have designed it with more gap between the radiator and the front of the engine, but man it would make this thing even longer.

Maybe a funnel like shroud on the front of the radiator to help funnel air into the radiator might keep it a little cooler, but only at speed, maybe a little help in town, but I don't think it'll do much when stopped.

I think some people need to remember what these and other bikes are designed for, the Vmax was designed as a point and squirt bike, not a touring bike or a commuting bike or a sports bike, if you use it for anything other than cruising or drag racing then you should expect some shortfalls, it is not a do everything bike any more than an R1 is, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy trying to do all things, just accept there will be limits to its ability

Still NO answer ; DO You work for Yamaha and how to get a good function on cooling ? NO answer ???
All other things You describe I know as Im a process- and mechanical engineer since 50 years ago so I have some mechanical know how long time ago problem is normal cooling systems dont behave like the VMax 1700...
Why argue to me about that ? You have the same bad function system as I have !
//Lars

With all do respect, the Vmax might not be the bike for you. I have a 2011 (amongst others, an 86, 05, and 07) which I ride in Oklahoma in the summer (temps above 100 degrees F) with no issues. Rebeltaz was using his Dodge pickup as a comparison to show that some companies will make their engines run hotter (higher thermostats..and the like) because the engines are more efficient from an emissions standpoint, but as an engineer with 50 plus years of experience, you know this. "Normal" is a relative term. You should be asking....."this is my issue, are yall having the same issue, or is this out of the ordinary for this bike?"

Bottom line, the Gen 1 Vmax was unlike anything else when it was first created and let loose on an unsuspecting world, and the Gen 2 has continued the tradition. You cannot compare these bikes to others. You have to see what is "normal" when compared with other Vmaxs, and what is out of the ordinary.

Sorry if I have made You all crazy with overheating problems that owners option goes from accepting to make manual fan drive arrangement in owners area.
Its Good för Yamaha to have loyal byers accepting bad engineering ...normal manufacturers have go take it back and rebuilt thats it but not here just accepting:(!
I love my bike but hate the bad cooling thats a summary from me dont want to discuss more as it gives no solutions ....just now Im in germany on a exhibition named Veterama..fore old bikes and car parts ; biggest in europe much better as the bikes here normally are aircooled with no such problem .....thx for me//lars

And power a little less than 200.....:) still the germans are the best engineers....after Hondas old crew : my cbx six can stand idling day long :)without problem..try that with a vmax1700.... 20 minutes max according to manual

Sorry if I have made You all crazy with overheating problems that owners option goes from accepting to make manual fan drive arrangement in owners area.
Its Good för Yamaha to have loyal byers accepting bad engineering ...normal manufacturers have go take it back and rebuilt thats it but not here just accepting:(!
I love my bike but hate the bad cooling thats a summary from me dont want to discuss more as it gives no solutions ....just now Im in germany on a exhibition named Veterama..fore old bikes and car parts ; biggest in europe much better as the bikes here normally are aircooled with no such problem .....thx for me//lars

Well the day my Vmax melts the engine down from overheating, then you can say "I told you so". Let me ask this, if it's such a problem why do you own it?? And why are there thousands of these bikes out there, and I haven't heard of one overheating without it contributing to a bad thermostat, cap, or a leak?? I've been very polite, I haven't meant any disrespect (hard to interpret words on a screen). But you on the other hand, dragging politics into this, REALLY?!?!? What are you 12?? And I suppose it's a double standard that ONLY YOU can compare the Vmax to other manufacturers and we can't?? I'll tell ya what, why don't YOU design a 200 hp motorcycle with a cooling system that is up to your standards. But I'm sorry, with all the testimonials of hundreds of other Vmaxers saying the same thing I have, and only 1 person saying it isn't normal....... Kinda obvious who I'm gonna side with. There are Vmaxers with 60,000 plus miles them or more with nothing to say about the cooling system being inefficient, if it was that inefficient Yamaha would have done something, don't you think??? After all they stood behind the Vmax in 09, with a recall on the oil pump, and the wiring harness........ Nothing in 10 years, it seems to me a problem in the cooling system would have been found by now in the 10 years the bike has been available. Your creating a problem that doesn't exist. I've dealt with people like you in my garage days, they would go to every auto repair shop in there surrounding area with the same made up problem and then turn around and bad mouth that shop when they found nothing wrong. I'm guessing is why your Yamaha dealer has told you no, how many times you been by there with a made up problem?? They don't want to deal with it. And I'm done dealing with you, and your "faulty cooling system". You don't like it, get rid of it!!! PERIOD!!! THE END!!!!

The thing is your bike has never actually overheated .....has it? Running at 3/4 on the temperature gauge is not overheating..... running at 7/8 on the temperature gauge is NOT overheating. Overheating is when you have boiling coolant barfing from the engine.
You do not even know what 3/4 on the gauge actually equals in Farenheight or Cellcius.
Do you need a bike that will idle on the kickstand for more than 20 minutes? Do you think Yamaha shuts the bike off after 20 minutes because they think it's ready to overheat? Or is it because they maybe figure the owner forgot they started the bike.......or dropped dead? LOL

To Lars-Erik Andersson's commits:

Dude, Like "Itgoes" and Rebeltaz83 said If you cannot live with it, leave it... I have had too many bikes to count here in my life starting in 95. But, I HAVE HAD 3 VMAXs. 2003, (my Fav, it was quite modified), and 2 2005. The VMAX is alone in its class. There is nothing else like it, just like an AC-Cobra. My Maxs have never liked sitting still. They are hotheaded, so what. I have traveled for weeks on my 2003 cross country with 100lbs+ baggage and how sweet an experience. A Semi' pulls up causing the wind to beat me up and a twist of the throttle and I am half a mile away.

In Dallas TX in a typical interstate traffic jam and the gauge hits 3/4 and I sat for better part of an hour at 2 or 3 MPH.. But it did not bowl over. I ran tests with the engine temp on one of my Datsun Zs and Celica GTs all heavily modified (I raced slaloms in SCCA for a while before getting married) and experimented without a thermostat. They did run cooler without a thermostat but gas mileage dropped considerably and they were a pain to get warmed up.

If the temperature was a problem, 1000s of them would not have been bought and 1000s love'um as I do still. A lot of collectables have kinks or quirky characteristics. First 69 Camaro Z28 a hot head, but a powerhouse and a super collectable. The VMAX is no different.

Oh and you own a CBX. That bike will kill the rider at 150 MPH.The shocks were badly designed the first years and starting at 130 it will start a high-speed wobble that was deadly. The rear shocks went soggy. This is a Honda fact... I worked 2/3 my way through my undergraduate as a Honda certified tech and received a bulletin on it as well as experience it. Frightening to say the least. But what a collectable! Good for you to have one...

Hey be proud that you own the VMAX and the legion and just live with it or as was already said, "leave it..."

Last edited:
I've been a member on this forum over a decade. To see someone coming here looking for help with a vmax that is ACTUALLY overheating (i.e. boiling over) is extremely rare.

Most guys assume its overheating because the temp gauge is high on the scale and it makes them uncomfortable.

If your really worried, install an accurate gauge that displays the actual temperature. Compare your readings with the numbers in the service manual for t-stat opening and fan on, fan off. That will let know if the bike is running outside if the factory parameters.

I did exactly that on my gen1 as it had the same "problem". After installing the gauge. I've found there is no problem. It gets hot in traffic. The mechanical gauge gets near red line. My legs cook. The actual temps are within the spec in the manual.

Thx for all nice comments as described Im the only vmax1700 owner complaining....... why rebuild to manual fan operation then? Or just för fun?
We have different opinions on cooling that doesnt mean you have to place shit on me for that... I have my opinion and the rest of Yamaha vmax owners an other as rebel.....describes it thats it... dont try to make me bad when im worried....crazy//lars

I have a 79 Red CBX, and an 09 VMAX.. I'll tell you there is a WORLD of difference riding each. The CBX has made me a better rider. :) You work riding that machine..

I've ridden the VMAX as cold as 12F and I think the high was about 105-110 the machine never fails me.. Just wish it had a 5-6 gal tank. 100 mi fills get old after a while, especially out in the middle of WV.. and a low fuel light!

Latest posts

Back