Rear axle spinning when trying to tighten

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRBishop

Reaction score
I installed some new tires and I'm trying to put the wheels back on. Following the instructions in the manual I purchased it tells me to torque down the rear axle before i clamp down the rear axle clamp Bolt. However, when I do that the rear axle spins. When it said to grease the rear axle I also added some to the end piece on the right that has the little hole in it and sits inside where you clamp down the rear axle Bolt. I'm thinking now I wasn't supposed to put grease on that end part? I can pull it back out and remove the grease but it still seems like I should tighten the clamp bolt BEFORE I torque down the axle nut? I'm just not sure if it matters how far in the axle is... Do I stop the axle right at where that little hole in the axle starts? Bikedave99 had a fantastic tutorial that I used when removing. Is there anything similar for 1 installing?

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=13338&highlight=Remove+rear+tire

Thank you

nEtQOQ

Put a screwdriver thru the hole on the right side to hold it while tightening.

Thank you. So do that, tighten rear axle and then do the clamp bolt? Should I be concerned that I greased this part of the rear axle?

bolt.jpg

As suggested by Danny, I use a screwdriver to hold the opposite end of the axle. It also helps pull in the swingarm to make sure there is no play between swingarm, brake arm and wheel hub. Don't forget your washer between the brake arm and wheel hub, unless you have done the washer swap.

As suggested by Danny, I use a screwdriver to hold the opposite end of the axle. It also helps pull in the swingarm to make sure there is no play between swingarm, brake arm and wheel hub. Don't forget your washer between the brake arm and wheel hub, unless you have done the washer swap.
Pretty sure the washer goes between the shoulder on the axle and the brake arm. The only thing between the brake arm and hub is the bearing spacer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

All good. Screw driver did the trick but also... the spacer fell out and I did not realize!!!! That,is why there was so much room and the axle had the room to go right through. Durrrrrr.... thanks once again

Latest posts

Back