Grip Removal Method (Without Damaging)?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman

Reaction score
Just bought some heated grips and I currently have a brand new set of grips on. I'd like to get them off without doing any damage. The ends are closed and I don't want to hack off the ends to work a flat-head underneath.

Any suggestions to make this quick & painless?

Use some WD40 or mineral spirits and work it under the grip to loosen the adhesive. A bamboo skewer or chopstick like apparatus can help to lift the grip to get the WD40 straw in there. Should slip right off after working it. Then clean grip with soap and water and save for summer.

Air pressure under the edge of the grip works wonders and doesn't get it where it's hard to get them to stick again.

Air pressure under the edge of the grip works wonders and doesn't get it where it's hard to get them to stick again.

+1. I use an air gun with a needle end that I use to change grips on my golf clubs. I will poke a small hole in the bar end if there isn't one already and with short bursts of air am able to take off the grips with no damage.

I'll remove the control blocks, and peel up the edge as much as possible. Squirt a little brake cleaner in there and start twisting back and forth, it'll start to loosen up pretty quick and slide off.

Use a heat gun -carefully- or a hair dryer to soften any adhesive and make the grips more flexible, then do like Sean says with an air nozzle. Use a needle tip if you have one.

Push a long thin screwdriver twixt bar and grip, lift the screwdriver and squirt some contact cleaner in.
Repeat the process around the circumference of the bar whilst twisting the grip until it slides off.

The reason I don't like the solvent method is that it has in the past interfered with getting them to stay in-place when re-installing them.

The air chuck has always worked best for me. I have an air nozzle that I have a short length of steel brake line on for reaching into narrow spaces to deliver a blast of air. As mentioned, slipping that under the grip by the control pod (as Ryan said, easiest to remove the pod, 2 screws) and the grip practically flies-off.

Now, what's the tip for getting them to stick back-on? Hairspray, and a drying time? I'm sure everyone has a favorite method.

Latest posts

Back