What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1. Ditching the bucket helmet is something I'm preaching to my old buddy. And, to get a decent full helmet. He just wrecked his brand new Triumph Rocket. His first sport type bike. He's nursing multiple broken ribs. And was very lucky he didn't kill himself. The stubborn fool still won't get proper gear. He had no idea new tires are slick and the Rocket wasn't his old Shovel Head power wise.
Steve-o

I used to sell parts at a big dealer who did Triumph and Harley. Those old guys bought on friday and the wreck came back monday. They were good business as they usually bought $$$ of crap with the bike.
The dealer sold Aprilia and Honda too. I never saw many sports bikes suffer the same fate.
Your buddy picked a big sickle to mess with in shitty gear. Up to him I guess.

Well, you're in the Mad Max/Road Warrior part of the world, so matte black, black leather, and attitude are part of the H-D mystique. Of course, Toecutter's and Nightrider's choices of rides ran more-to KZ1000's than Harley-Davidsons, but they were definitely in the 'black & menacing, w/attitude' camp. By any chance did you happen to see Bubba Zanetti? I had a Shoei helmet just like this one, it was the First Shoei that used Kevlar. Still have an OEM shield for it.

500px-207843_193774053992799_100000806186514_402802_3633713_n.jpg

Man I dunno if we have the attitude thing covered here. The states is the land of the do rag and sore armpit walk. At least we wear helmets :)
I blame the US for silly fat back tyres too! I love the place, got family from there (even some military folk) but geez I see some stuff to make me cringe.

I do a lot of highway running, so I finally mounted the OEM winshield I got from 2wheelfreak, I know a lot of folks don't like one on a MAX, but I'm digging it!

Well, you're in the Mad Max/Road Warrior part of the world, so matte black, black leather, and attitude are part of the H-D mystique. Of course, Toecutter's and Nightrider's choices of rides ran more-to KZ1000's than Harley-Davidsons, but they were definitely in the 'black & menacing, w/attitude' camp. By any chance did you happen to see Bubba Zanetti? I had a Shoei helmet just like this one, it was the First Shoei that used Kevlar. Still have an OEM shield for it.

500px-207843_193774053992799_100000806186514_402802_3633713_n.jpg

Bell Bullitt makes a copy of that helmet. Looks great and nice lining, but way to noisy for me. Price has come way down since first introduced.

The first Bell full-face helmet, which had a fixed face shield, was very similar to that Shoei. Pretty-sure the Bell Star was the first commercially-available full-face helmet.

OK, I had to look it up, 1963 was Bell's first full-face product. Note the company address doesn't have a zip code, yet. https://rideapart.com/articles/motorcycle-history-full-face-motorcycle-crash-helmets

bell-star-1963-770x433.jpg

Bell Bullitt makes a copy of that helmet. Looks great and nice lining, but way to noisy for me. Price has come way down since first introduced.

I'm really liking my new Shoei Quest helmet. $265 on sale is a decent price. It's quieter than my HJC and lighter. Next a transition shield, which is more than half what the helmet cost. I bought transition sun glasses at Thunder two years ago. That convinced me I want the shield too.

The rack of downdraft carbs out of my VMax, fresh out of the ultrasonic tank. Now on to the reassembly. The low speed jets which have hair-thin orifices, were solid w/coagulants. Spiffy now, though, should work fine.

Pic #2: almost ready to join the halves. One jet block to replace its jets. No left-over parts, always a good sign. :punk:

Attachments

• 20171017_180610.jpg
    20171017_180610.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171017_190603.jpg
    20171017_190603.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The 4 LED bulbs for my turn signals got here today, and are installed. Plenty bright, and work fine. I already have load resistors, and they flash at the proper rate.

I'm really liking my new Shoei Quest helmet. $265 on sale is a decent price. It's quieter than my HJC and lighter. Next a transition shield, which is more than half what the helmet cost. I bought transition sun glasses at Thunder two years ago. That convinced me I want the shield too.

I picked up the same helmet spring of 2016 and it has been great. I got the pin lock shield and will never have another w/o it. I like clear shields and just wear sunglasses as needed. I had a shoei years back and cannot understand why I waited so long to get another, fit is great (3xl) and is quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up the same helmet spring of 2016 and it has been great. I got the pin lock shield and will never have another w/o it. I like clear shields and just wear sunglasses as needed. I had a shoei years back and cannot understand why I waited so long to get another, fit is great (3xl) and is quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing too good for Vmax noggins, Brian.

I picked up the Shoei GT air earlier this year. I wear prescription glasses so I was sold on the internal, flip down dark visor, it's a great helmet.
7d2a0238e512e7cb4f863122034c59f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Those are good helmets you guys got. I've never owned an Arai, I don't have an 'Arai head.' I hear they have different shapes in their line, anytime I tried them in the past, they didn't feel comfortable, and I'm not going to buy something that-expensive that doesn't feel OK out of the box. "It'll loosen-up," some say, unfortunately, my head won't, and it's the only one I've got.

I bought a Shark Evoline modular helmet, years-ago, I've owned modular helmets from BMW (Schuberth) and Shoei (Duo-tech, now they have a different name), and the Shark has been the quietest, and most-comfortable. The chin bar patent they have is really-slick, you wonder why no one thought of it before. It changes the aerodynamics dramatically! You can ride with your chinbar open and it doesn't feel like the hand of the Wind God is trying to rip your forehead backwards, as is the case with every other modular helmet on the market, when it's open. Open/closed is a one-handed affair. You have the protection of a full-face helmet but the cooling of an open-faced helmet, if you open it. It has a good faceshield, and an inner tinted 'drop-down' visor.

A review of the carbon-fiber one, lighter than mine, looks like the one 'Supercharger' below, has:

The Shark Evoline 3 is one of the best modular helmets on the market with its flip-up face that folds all the way back. Now it’s even better.
The Evoline Pro Carbon Helmet is constructed from carbonfibre and multi-axial glass fibres, making it super lightweight. Compared with the standard model weighing 1715g, it is 105g lighter and costs $799.95 which is $300 more than the listed price (although many are currently available on sale for about $429). The best feature of the Evoline is the flip-up chin bar which folds all the way back, turning it into an open-face helmet and allows you to ride along at speed without any aero affect pulling at your neck muscles.
But it was always a bit heavy, as are most modular helmets, because of the complex hinging system. Now with carbon fibre construction, it should be much more comfortable.
The helmet also features an anti-scratch and anti-fog visor and an integrated UV380 sun visor so it is ideal for riding in all weather and light conditions all year round.
The Pro Carbon has natural bamboo fibre interior and a unique “Auto-UP” system that unlocks both chin and visor.

It is also compatible with the Shark Sharktooth Bluetooth intercom system which costs $289.95 and fits many of their helmets (Race-R PRO, Race-R, Vision-R, Speed-R, EvoLine Series 3 and RSJ ST). It integrates into the newer Shark helmets through cut-aways in the helmets EPS, while the unit that fits to the outside of the helmet has a very low profile (one of the biggest advantages of this product).
The Shark Evoline Pro Carbon Helmet comes in sizes 54 to 62 to fit most riders.
Visit: www.ficeda.com.au

image26-e1429225694930.jpg
image27-e1429225707229.jpg

https://motorbikewriter.com/shark-modular-helmet-now-lighter/

Ed. note: The helmet is safety-rated in either the open or the closed position.

Last edited:
I just bought a shoei qwest. I really want to like it but guess don't have the shoei head
. Plus I had a hjc modular which really fit well. Was noisey but the flip up was nice feature.

I have too bought a Shark helmet (as Fire-medic have) in carbon black colour. :biglaugh:
But i shall dig a little out of the foam in the ear area to get room for my Hearing'aid's. I hope not the helmet iss too quiet.
I want to allways hear the grunt from my V-maxie. :punk:

Attachments

• Shark1.jpg
    Shark1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Shark2.jpg
    Shark2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Shark3.jpg
    Shark3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts