Anyone try out a Yamaha MT-10/FZ-10?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radley

Reaction score
I have been out of the bike loop for quite some time with newer models, etc. I came across some MT-10 test rides, mostly from UK riders, a few US guys too.

Has anyone ridden one of these bikes? All I gotta say is, Dang!....looks like a sweet ride. Fast. Sporty-enough. Comfy-enough. Super-torquey...fun!

Sorta has that Transformer-type look, a far cry from my 85 Vmax, but dang, what a machine from the look/sound of it....

What do you guys think?

This guy is hilarious!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei89HWBHQGY

Nice ride and definitely entertaining review.

Looks like the bike is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking at that bike really hard a few months ago. My only hesitation was fear of it getting stolen. One of the nice things about having a Gen1 V-Max is there isn't a huge demand for it's parts on the black market so it's not a prime target for the bike thieves.

And I really want a touring bike at some point too, so I keep talking myself out getting a new bike, including the Gen2 V-Max.

I sort of dig naked bikes, the Speed Triple is a longtime favorite but an R1 mill must give this one a surplus of poke. Aesthetically subjective but it must be a blast to ride.

I hoping Yamaha hears the cry for a light 700cc twin Adventure Enduro type bike, possibly based off of the MT-07. An updated and modern Tenere 660 if you will, please!
Tenere 700 prototype.jpg

I've ridden one. I wish I had the time to set the sag at least, but it's an awesome bike. You can't compare it to the Vmax anymore than you could compare a Vmax to a Sportster. They're all very different things.

As far as the FZ-10 goes the brakes were the best I've ever tried. The braking power was incredible, one finger stops were effortless and the feedback strong and positive. Handling was sharp and again with great feedback. You could feel everything on the road, but without any painful jolts. The high-speed damping was set right for me.

The ergos fit me very well, feet back a lot and a little bit higher than a Vmax. The bars are high and wide and the seat felt like it would be comfortable all day long. With the cruise control and the available hard bags it makes it a bike that can do touring with ease.

The engine is amazing. Torque is plentiful and the high RPM pull has to be some kind of hyper-drive. Other than a Gen 1 Vmax, it has the best sound of any four cylinder I've ever heard. Think about the noise the Mach 5 makes in the beginning of Speed Racer.

Range is a downside. While not up to Iron Butt standards, it's better than we're all used to around here. Price is up there, but very reasonable for this level of performance.

That all said, I test rode one in the Spring. I rode my FZ-09 to the dealer with the intention of riding home on a new FZ-10. It's likely I'm the only one to do so and not ride home on the 10. For me the Nine is a better bike. It's another 30 pounds less, has a little more legroom and actually has a harder low-end pull. In any case it's a great, modern bike.

Now if the FZ-10SP is that much better...

Old thread, I know, but I did get an FZ-10 and I love it! It's one of those bikes that you either love it or hate it, looks wise. If you ride it and don't like it, then I can't explain that. I think it was on here that someone said they rode it and wasn't impressed. To each their own but I can't fathom riding it and not liking it. It has plenty of power yet is just fine riding at low speeds in town, you don't even have to get out of 1st if you don't want to, lol. It's a six speed bike that can break the speed limit in all gears. I think for someone who is a V-Max fan, this is the perfect bike if you want to go to a naked bike. Hell, it even has side scoops!

Looks like a fun ride! A guy in one of my riding clubs just got a new Z1000. I took it on a short spin, which was a mistake, because now it's on the 'to buy' list too.

picture.php

Looks like a fun ride! A guy in one of my riding clubs just got a new Z1000. I took it on a short spin, which was a mistake, because now it's on the 'to buy' list too.

picture.php

That's a nice bike, I'd like to take it for a ride. It looks to be a tad longer than the FZ-10. I like the aggressive styling of it!

picture.php

I owned a '15 for a while. I thought they dropped the Z1000 and replaced it with the Z900 for 2017, at least in the US. Odd, since they still make the 1000 in the Ninja and Versys. The 900 went on a diet, and also got a decent price cut I think to align it more closely with the FZ-09. The lackluster Z800 was quickly dropped in favor of the new Z650 as well. Still, the FZ-09 would probably be my pick of the litter if I was to buy one again, especially with the updates for '17.

The Z was a fun bike. Liked how it's sharply sloped "brow" essentially disappears under you when riding it, kind of just flying down the road. If the Vmax handled like a drunk chick at the bar, the Z1 handled like Danicka Patrick on adderall. The motor had surprising low end grunt for an inline 4, and Ivan's flash really cleaned up the fueling and got a little more power out of it. Wouldn't keep up with the pure liter supersports, but damn close. ~160 or so top end. Like most Kawi's, it comes with wheelie gearing from the factory, go +1 on the front right away. The suspension was also set much more for the track than street. Definitely on the firm side of comfortable, even with adjustments backed off.

Latest posts

Back