Ignition Fuse (Just a Comment)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I did a complete COPs conversion on my bike. I used a wire harness and COPs from a 2003 R6 and wired it all in myself. Worked all day on that and replacing a rear valve cover gasket. The gasket sprung a leak, so had to remove it again and re-seal and re-install it (that sucked). Other minor problems I won't mention. So I cranked it up - fired up and idled good. Responsive revs. So I as I took it out on the street for a test ride, I whacked the throttle and at about 8,000 RPM it died. I coasted to the side, and pushed it home. I'm not a good electrician, so all kinds of stuff flooded my mind about what could be wrong. I have an aftermarket ignition box, and with a completely different ignition system I wondered if these components weren't compatible. Or did I get bad parts?

Turns out the fuse blew. I replaced it, and it's been running nearly perfectly today - and pulls hard to 9,500 RPM.

Bad time for a fuse to blow after major modification / maintenance - makes you second guess ALL your work! :ummm:

I did a complete COPs conversion on my bike. I used a wire harness and COPs from a 2003 R6 and wired it all in myself. Worked all day on that and replacing a rear valve cover gasket. The gasket sprung a leak, so had to remove it again and re-seal and re-install it (that sucked). Other minor problems I won't mention. So I cranked it up - fired up and idled good. Responsive revs. So I as I took it out on the street for a test ride, I whacked the throttle and at about 8,000 RPM it died. I coasted to the side, and pushed it home. I'm not a good electrician, so all kinds of stuff flooded my mind about what could be wrong. I have an aftermarket ignition box, and with a completely different ignition system I wondered if these components weren't compatible. Or did I get bad parts?

Turns out the fuse blew. I replaced it, and it's been running nearly perfectly today - and pulls hard to 9,500 RPM.

Bad time for a fuse to blow after major modification / maintenance - makes you second guess ALL your work! :ummm:
I am interested in doing cops myself-what aftermarket ignition box did you use. Thank you.

that & the Ignitech which I think Sean Morley offers are the two choicrs. There is an "old" Dyna & a "new" Dyna.

It was installed by a previous owner - it's a Dyna 3000.

Just wanted to say that the dyna 3000 will need resistors on the COPS. The stock ignition, or the ignitech dont, but the Dynas will. Depending on what the COPS ohm out to (usually 1.6-1.7 ohms) you will need to put a resistor into the wiring, to make the ohms get closer to the stock 3.0 ohms of the stock coils. That is what the Dynas are originally built for.

Does that apply to both the new and old dyna? I'm not too familiar with the new Dyna. I know this was confirmed with the old one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That I dont know. IF I remember correctly, someone on here had contacted dyna, and it was true for the new one as well, but this is off of memory.

Max, there was a guy that used to be on this Forum named Jon Harris. I believe he is on Facebook. He can set you up with a set of coil sticks and harness. I've got a set in my 85, well worth doing, in my opinion. There are other sources for them too.

Wow, that was a lot to digest about the Dyna 3000 - resistors - COPs combination!

I ran my bike for about 6 hours today without resistors. Ran fine, but I wouldn't do it after reading all this. Shopping for resistors now...

Just wanted to say that the dyna 3000 will need resistors on the COPS. The stock ignition, or the ignitech dont, but the Dynas will. Depending on what the COPS ohm out to (usually 1.6-1.7 ohms) you will need to put a resistor into the wiring, to make the ohms get closer to the stock 3.0 ohms of the stock coils. That is what the Dynas are originally built for.
b
Do you know which COPS were compatible with the Dynatech? i mean the numbers on the coils?

b
Do you know which COPS were compatible with the Dynatech? i mean the numbers on the coils?

From the hour I just spent reading about this, there are no COPs compatible with the Dyna 3000. The fix is installing a 1 Ohm, 25W resistor in series with the + wire going to the COP.

But I have no resistors and had no problems riding about 6 hours today. But I need some insurance that I won't cook my Dyna.

What year model is your Vmax? I have My ignition from the 07 which is now sitting on the shelf, that I can let you borrow until you get resistors for your bike.

If I remember correctly, the box will work for 90-07.

That's what's great about this forum. People willing to lend out an expensive and hard to find part so a member can keep running. Kudos to Traumahawk.

What year model is your Vmax? I have My ignition from the 07 which is now sitting on the shelf, that I can let you borrow until you get resistors for your bike.

If I remember correctly, the box will work for 90-07.

Mine's a 1993. If I don't find resistors today, do you want to sell me your ignition box?

My timing with reading this stuff is bad. I rolled through your town yesterday. :confused2:

That's what's great about this forum. People willing to lend out an expensive and hard to find part so a member can keep running. Kudos to Traumahawk.

You're exactly right, Bill. I've seen the same at auto drag races. Saw a guy lend another racer a TRANSMISSION so he could get back on the track. That was awesome.

Hey, electrical experts - Would this work?

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks Bill. Just repaying some of the favours that people have paid me down thru the years.

Mine's a 1993. If I don't find resistors today, do you want to sell me your ignition box?

My timing with reading this stuff is bad. I rolled through your town yesterday. :confused2:

You're exactly right, Bill. I've seen the same at auto drag races. Saw a guy lend another racer a TRANSMISSION so he could get back on the track. That was awesome.

I dont know about sell, but I certainly can loan it out for an extended amount of time. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a couple of days. I can see if a friend of mine can can ship it if you need it as soon as possible, if not, I could run it up there Thursday afternoon/evening......if that would work?

I dont know about sell, but I certainly can loan it out for an extended amount of time. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a couple of days. I can see if a friend of mine can can ship it if you need it as soon as possible, if not, I could run it up there Thursday afternoon/evening......if that would work?

I'll PM you if I need it. Thank you!

Back