Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome aboard Andy! It sounds like you picked up a nice Vmax and you also made a great choice in joining our board as we are the place for all things Vmax. Lots of info here on all sorts of how to's and mods alike, if there is anything you need more info on or want to add to any discussion please post away. Also, we do like to see pictures when you get a chance as we all know that there are no two Vmax's exactly alike! Again. welcome and have fun!

Hi guys. I'm Andy James from a small island called England!
Hoping to pick up my 98 Gen 1 over the next couple of days. She is a Canadian import full power model needing some TLC as the exhaust is blowing and the motor won't run without choke.
These bikes are quite rare over here so I'm looking forward to restoring her to her best and ripping away from the lights! I will post up some pictures when I get the bike home.

Hello, long time admirer, first time owner.
2018 blacked out VMax.
I live in Melbourne Florida

Attachments

• Message_1520179887455.jpg
    Message_1520179887455.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi all,

The name is Sam. I live in Arizona and I am the proud owner of a bone-stock 1996 V-Max. I sold my '99 Powerstroke last year for the sole purpose of obtaining a V-Max, which should show my level of commitment! My first bike was a bored and cammed '87 Yamaha Fazer which sparked my enthusiasm for speed! I have just finished boring/upgrading my Honda XR400 to a high compression 416cc trail monster, so naturally it's time to move onto the V-max! I have already spent countless hours browsing this forum and finally decided to do my part and become a member. I am very interested in working with others on this forum to upgrade my V-Max to it's full potential. I will also be available to help with the roadside assistance program from Tucson in a few months once the wife decides on a house (with a workshop) that she wants! Thanks in advance for all the help, and hopefully I can provide some in return!

-Sam

was up boys,ive been a big fan of the vmax after seeing my first one back in 88,ive wanted one from that day on .i came from a dirt bike back ground and my first street bike was a yanaha radian 600.i had a few affairs with a few hondas 700s night hawk and a vf 1000. the vmax is like a ghost here in kalamazoo mich i only see one once every ten years or so ..i finally found one in my price range last year and im hooked for life .im addicted somthin terrible i dont have a plate on it yet but i take it out and push it to the 9,000 rpms..over and over i hope i dont blow the beast.i love this site because i get so much info on the bike ..im trying to restore the bike .i want to keep it and pass it down the family .i got big plans for this 89 vmax .:punk:

2 problems

Hi all,

i have 2 problems the first is i change my headlights to a double unit they work fine but now the bike wont start any ideas ???

my second problem is my pedals are leg out type and i want to revert back to original. does anyone know the parts to put it back to original.

regards vince

Re: 2 problems

Hi all,

i have 2 problems the first is i change my headlights to a double unit they work fine but now the bike wont start any ideas ???

my second problem is my pedals are leg out type and i want to revert back to original. does anyone know the parts to put it back to original.

regards vince

Hey Vince,

Welcome! first, John Furbur or Sean Morley should have the parts you need to return to stock.

Second, I would like to buy your forward controls when you remove them.

Private message me what you would like for them.

Cheers!

Pete

was up boys,ive been a big fan of the vmax after seeing my first one back in 88,ive wanted one from that day on .i came from a dirt bike back ground and my first street bike was a yanaha radian 600.i had a few affairs with a few hondas 700s night hawk and a vf 1000. the vmax is like a ghost here in kalamazoo mich i only see one once every ten years or so ..i finally found one in my price range last year and im hooked for life .im addicted somthin terrible i dont have a plate on it yet but i take it out and push it to the 9,000 rpms..over and over i hope i dont blow the beast.i love this site because i get so much info on the bike ..im trying to restore the bike .i want to keep it and pass it down the family .i got big plans for this 89 vmax .:punk:

Hello and welcome Jeff! I came from the dirt as well having a DT250 and YZ250 before buying a Honda myself, 85 Sabre in the 700 version, I now have a 92 Vmax and 03 FZ-1. There a whole group of Hooligan G1 & G2 Vmaxes in the SW part of Michigan. I'm way up in the U.P. by the Soo but have been known to travel a few miles to ride with other Vmaxers.
You should find everything you need in the way of information about service and of course mods. The is a ton you can do to the Vmax and we have vendors to help you with all of it. Again Welcome!

Welcome, I came from somewhat of a dirt heritage living here in the spectacular Black Hills but I started on a CB 350 and wanted a Vmax since year one. Most of my hours were street but always one foot on the single track and fire roads, years ago. As it happens Im probably going to be returning to the dirt for the bulk of my riding. I just plated and insured my KTM 2 stroke (gotta love SD). If you were going to blow it up by revving to 9000 rpm with regularity mine would be in the scrap heap. They can take it if they are in good health and maintainance is kept up. One thing I would like to point out is that these beasts do not have rev limiters. Now that I have mine dialed in with proper jetting, Morley intake/tuning kit and a Kerker, it will easily and eagerly sweep right on up past 10,000 rpm if I'm not careful, when I accidentally let that happen she let me know she didnt appreciate it. I shift just before 10k if I'm shutting down an HD (not necessary at all, but fun!) But for spirited hills riding it makes plenty of anger through 8k ish. It seems that around 9600-9800rpm is about where I see the point of diminishing returns even though it will overrev quickly. I plan to install a shift light or an aftermarket TCI with a rev limiter and probably set it to ~9600rpm. I should let those that know more than I comment on safe max RPM but this is just my experience, when I researched it I recall anything over 10k is definitely in the red. Shifting at around 8k seems to put me right back at the bottom of the happy angry spot in the next gear. Of course your tuning and riding style may vary. A Vmax is a ghost around here too, makes it more fun, especially in HD country. A lot of these younger RUBs have no idea what a Vmax is, again, more fun! Welcome, and welcome to the other new folks. Enjoy!

wow thanks guys .ill be looking up the hooligan guys soon .i seen them on you tube .looks like a lot of fun .and thanks for all the input on rpms .i feel better now .and it is cool when all the hd guys see the vmax .they speak well of it and dont want to race cause there scared i think after i tell them it was built for the quarter mile .haaa hahaha..i shure love this bike and this vmax brotherhood .:clapping:

Hello from central PA! I picked up my first Vmax last week, a mostly stock red 89.

I also have a 01 Roadstar Silverado.

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 14. Bought my first streetbike at age 19, a 79 RD400 Daytona Special.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've got an '85, along with a 2002 Roadstar. A good contrast in bikes. Roadie for the easy riding, and Max when you want to raise a bit of hell..

Hey Everyone....

Purchasing a new 2018 VMax this week. Really excited to get it. I've liked the VMax since they came out. I've been riding for over 35 years, going full circle, starting in the dirt at a young age, then sport bikes for 25 years, gradually moving into baggers and cruisers. I like them all and respect anybody that rides.
I can't leave anything stock, always looking for that "little" extra. I have been reading over the forums and a lot of good info here.
Hope everyone has a safe day.
Thanks,
J.Shoot

Welcome J! We have a yearly meet up in Johnstown PA at the end of June for Thunder in the Valley which with the Vmax it brings a whole different meaning to Thunder!

Welcome to the forum J, you'll get all the advise you may possible need here. I have an 07' Max, but the next machine I saddle up, will definitely be the new Max, can't wait to feel the pull the new 1700 makes.
Welcome again, enjoy.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I just bought my first V Max. It is a 1988. It has 23,000 miles on it and needs some new valve cover gaskets and I think the V boost controller is shot.
I will be lurking and asking questions as I have lots to learn. So thanks in advance.

Welcome! You came to the right place. Good people, very knowledgable and always willing to help.

Back