Transporting dirt bikes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
I'm entertaining some trades for a vehicle I have, looking at taking in a YZ250 or TE250, I'm interested in how one might safely transport one without a pickup truck.

I thought I saw an apparatus on a sedan that went to a receiver hitch and fastened that way somehow, anyone use a system like this? It would be just the one bike. I would prefer not to need a trailer but if I do one that is as light and compact as possible, IE easy to stand up behind the woodshed out of sight. Just thought I would throw this out and see what comes back before I move on one of these. No doubt I'm going to need a truck again for many reasons, but now is not the time to be picking up more cages.

Thanks much.

The trailer hitch thing works well.
My son took his CB 919 Hornet to college with it but won't use it for a bike that heavy again!
I'd go for the YZ! Keep it blue ! LOL

I have considered those trailer receiver hitch carriers as suitable only for dirtbikes or max. 300 lbs streetbikes, which probably would limit you to 250 cc or maybe fudging it a bit, the new crop of 300 cc bikes.

What i thought of, is that the receiver hitch would work with one receiver, but if you added a second receiver on the same side as you load the bike that has the rear of the bike, probably the passenger side, unless you are in the UK, then the driver side,:doh:it would spread the load much better. Most receiver hitches are probably rated for a max tongue load of much-less than 500 lbs, as we aren't speaking of a Duramax or Cummins engined dually. Still, having two receivers supporting the weight would stop the "rocking" back & forth that a substantial load bearing upon the single receiver box would impose. It wouldn't be hard to add the second receiver, to either the carrier or the car. Something to consider is possibly relocating the license plate if the view is obscured. Some states are more-vigorous about this than others. It could also be probable cause to stop you because the plate is blocked by the carrier/bike. If you made some support for the plate where you could easily detach it w/some type of security device, and reattach it when the bike is loaded, and use your trailer connection to provide light to the plate (and why not add 1157 dual-filament bulbs or equivalent to the movable plate, to provide additional running/brake/turn signal lighting) then no police would be able to say, "your license plate is obscured," or "your running/brake /turn signal lights are obscured by your load." And I am of the opinion we can use all the lighting help we can get. I've been rear-ended repeatedly in the last nine years, and I believe more rear-end visibility should draw attention to you like Kardashian buttocks.

Nice!

I think I have an oldass full size Lexus sedan that should accommodate one of these systems pretty nicely. I guess I'll probably need to wire up some tag lights if I go that route. It's a fairly low slung car from the factory so I'm guessing the trailer harness and tag lights are a given. Plus if I ever do need to use a trailer the option is open.

One of these bikes I'm considering is street legal but very much a 250cc dirt bike. I dig the YZ, LOVE the 2 stroke but lights, EFI and plates might be a tilting factor here. It looks like the YZ has a curb weight of 225-ish and the Husqvarna is more like 260lbs but has lights, blinkers and all the road legal stuff on it off the showroom floor. Even with it having lights and plates I would not want to trek it all the way out to Buffalo Gap, that would be a looooong ride on a 250.

I dont suppose I would ever exceed 300 lbs on it, some of these trails are so tight and technical that even a 450 would be a handful. I dont trailer street bikes, it's just not something I can bring myself to do yet.

I'll make a couple calls and locate a receiver for the LS and figure out tongue weight. Thank you for the responses. I'm getting giddy now even though were a ways off from the season for it.

Yeah , my son need a vehicle for normal day to day stuff up at school.
The bike was just for fun up there between classes.
Quinnipiac is almost 2hrs away from us without traffic.

Is the TE a Husky or a KTM re branded Husky?
How many speeds is the TE?
Wide ratio gear box?

Yeah , my son need a vehicle for normal day to day stuff up at school.
The bike was just for fun up there between classes.
Quinnipiac is almost 2hrs away from us without traffic.

Is the TE a Husky or a KTM re branded Husky?
How many speeds is the TE?
Wide ratio gear box?

I believe it's got 6 cogs, EFI, 4 stroke and very thinly street legal, its an 09 TE250. Just got off the blower with the guy. Turns out he lives just up the road so I'll be looking into it Monday. I didnt know that there was rebadging going on there. I guess I would not be opposed to a KTM or a Husky. Ive never ridden a modern Husky but the reviews on it look pretty darn positive. I've ripped around on an couple other two stroke 250s that were pretty spooky.

I live so insanely close to so many awesome trails it would be a darn shame not to own something like this.

it's a Husky.
KTM bought Husky in 2013.
Looks like a nice bike but just make sure you can get parts for it.

I thought they were owned by BMW but I reread and I see now how that went.

I really have no problems with KTM, BMW or Husky. As far as I can see they are all very well made bikes but I like to do model reviews on anything I consider before I even throw a leg over.

The parts question is pretty valid, I'm going to search around and see whats available.

I use a carrier made by Versa Haul able to carry a Honda Grom and a Vespa works graet on our RV might want to check them out.

I thought they were owned by BMW but I reread and I see now how that went.

I really have no problems with KTM, BMW or Husky. As far as I can see they are all very well made bikes but I like to do model reviews on anything I consider before I even throw a leg over.

The parts question is pretty valid, I'm going to search around and see whats available.

KTM also bought Husaberg back in 2012-13 timeframe and they d/c'd the 570 70* motor from all reports was the bomb off road motor. 570cc, 6 speed trans, large enough oil capacity for longer time between oil changes then add a cush drive and you have a great 90/10 dual sport bike. I really like what Yamaha is going to offer as the 700cc Tenere in 2019.

A 90/10 would be ideal. I just looked up that Husaberg, it would be PERFECT in spite of a few lbs over a 250.

I got two calls yesterday with offers of a YZ, even if I add lights and a plate (easy here in South Dakota) it's not a machine I would want to ride on the street for more than connecting adjacent trails, even with a cush hub. I'm probably going to move on that TE unless something else compelling comes in.

Bought a nice 3-rail trailer off craigslist for $600. It's sturdy, the front rail is staggered forward (so handlebars won't interfere), and I would have no reservations about loading 3 full dress Harleys on it. Made by Magnum Trailers out of Texas, but I've seen very similar designs from all sorts of manufacturers.

My 4 cylinder Focus tows it just fine, even with 3 dual-sports and 2 pitbikes onboard. I mean the mileage goes down and it's clearly working harder, but still maintains highway speed easily and stops fine. I'd guess the trailer itself weighs 350ish lbs. My buddy's LS430 lexus (v8) tows it with pretty much zero effort.

The little hitch-hauler bike carriers are OK, but to me always seemed dangerously flimsy when used on a class I hitch (the small square you find on most cars). Going down the road they really rock and flex a lot. On the class 3 on trucks they're OK, but as mentioned they have about a 300lb weight limit. Fine for enduros (as long as it's not a piggy Honda), but can't really use used for anything else.

Bought a nice 3-rail trailer off craigslist for $600. It's sturdy, the front rail is staggered forward (so handlebars won't interfere), and I would have no reservations about loading 3 full dress Harleys on it. Made by Magnum Trailers out of Texas, but I've seen very similar designs from all sorts of manufacturers.

My 4 cylinder Focus tows it just fine, even with 3 dual-sports and 2 pitbikes onboard. I mean the mileage goes down and it's clearly working harder, but still maintains highway speed easily and stops fine. I'd guess the trailer itself weighs 350ish lbs. My buddy's LS430 lexus (v8) tows it with pretty much zero effort.

The little hitch-hauler bike carriers are OK, but to me always seemed dangerously flimsy when used on a class I hitch (the small square you find on most cars). Going down the road they really rock and flex a lot. On the class 3 on trucks they're OK, but as mentioned they have about a 300lb weight limit. Fine for enduros (as long as it's not a piggy Honda), but can't really use used for anything else.

These are great too. :biglaugh:

I just saw one of those 3 rail trailers, I was tempted. Your buddys LS430 is one of the finest sedans ever produced. I have absolutely no concerns about using my LS400 to pull a trailer and a few heavy bikes in spite of it's advanced age and high mileage. The LS is an unbelievably rock solid car.

It looks like the new addition will be a 2011 YZ250. I suppose if I go much more than that a trailer will be the sound choice. I'm a pretty solo guy so there is a good chance that a single 250 2-smoke would be about it for the foreseeable future.

Definitely more food for thought.

Latest posts

Back