Straightening subframe

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Hi,

My subframe is a 'bit' out of center as can be seen in the attachment. Wheels are completely in line so no problems there.

Has anyone got a good idea of how so straighten it? So far, I`ve not been able to get it back to center, the subframe is stronger than I thought.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
Well, harbor freight sells a porta power, that could possibly fix that. Or securing one side to something stationary while ratcheting the other side square again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a porta power though, youd have to have the bike braced against something while pushing or pulling (depending on what type of porta power is used) and that could create problems elsewhere... Not to say it cant be done, but its something to think about. Might be able to use a 2x4 and a rawhide/deadblow to move it and if that didnt work, a lil heat with some of the beating would probably do it.

Just make sure what ever is booked to it is loosened, try finding where exactly is bent and try to straighten it there or it may bend where you don't want it to. Straightened a few frame trails on some collision work when I worked a body shop. May have to take the shocks loose as well. Doing front end frame work we would always have to take the k frame loose, and measure on a x to check for squareness between two common points and also using a crash book with frame measurements to know when we were in tolerance. Sometimes we would even have to loosen motor mounts, trans. Mounts. And an alignment was always done after. Most likely your gonna have strap the bike down, and pull where its bent. And you'll have to pull past where it belongs so it springs back to where it belongs, and if you go too far, you'll be doing it again in the opposite direction. Just curious but, what happened??

I'd try attaching a long bending arm on that right side. Securing it well from the bolt hole up to the bend. Cold first. Using fillers to keep the arm straight. Then a little heat if needed. I think the shop manual has the measurements to follow. Good luck.

What happened I do not know, when I bought the bike it was already like this. There`s some damage on the exhaust so it was probably dropped on that side.

Anyway, first attempt was fixing the bike and using a hydraulic jack. The thing is that that will only flex and afterwards it flexes back.

Second attempt was with a piece of wood, great to get rid of some aggression :biglaugh:

It`s _near_ center now, any further it does not want to go so I`ll leave it as is. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 30
Looks allot better, sometimes you have to improvise. More than one way to skin a cat. Looks good.

Bare in mind that the wheel is off-set so compared against that it will still look wrong when it is right.
To get an accurate measurement you would need to use the centre line of the frame as your datum and take measurements from there (which you may have done?)

Yes, the wheels are aligned (got two adjustable bolts for the swingarm) and checked the tracking.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back