Help...now what?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankumuch

Reaction score
Just finished doing the pea shooter and shotgun carb cleaning on my 99. My symptoms are groggy throttle response when cold on partial choke, followed by great riding for about 15 minutes until warmed up to hot, then when I come to a stop sign, the idle drops to 500 rpm, then stumbles lower and stops unless I goose the throttle. All the mid range and top end performance is great, even after it gets hot and wants to die at idle. What am I missing. BTW, the carb was in great shape throughout the cleanout process. I was meticulous about all the work, so back to square one.

I'd do a sync. And check for air leaks around the rubber boots.

I synched it last Fall, but will do it again tomorrow. Would you shoot starting fluid around the boots to see if the revs pick up, or is that asking for a fire?

Yes to soaring around the boots, the idle should change of its sucking air, may not be the problem but doesn't hurt to check. I always have to re sync my carbs after winter, don't know why. But atleast it's easy on the max. Fifteen minutes and your done. Just don't go overboard spraying, don't have to saturate them, but just give them a little coating, do one at a time so you can narrow it down. Spray all the joints, including the vboost. Check your rubber plugs when you pull them to do the sync, and check the vacuum hose on the left front carb.

Yes to soaring around the boots, the idle should change of its sucking air, may not be the problem but doesn't hurt to check. I always have to re sync my carbs after winter, don't know why. But atleast it's easy on the max. Fifteen minutes and your done. Just don't go overboard spraying, don't have to saturate them, but just give them a little coating, do one at a time so you can narrow it down. Spray all the joints, including the vboost. Check your rubber plugs when you pull them to do the sync, and check the vacuum hose on the left front carb.

Will do all that today...once it gets above freezing, lol. Thank you for helpful insight. I may change or at least re-gap spark plugs for good measure too.

Your battery and charging system needs to be checked out and eliminated as an issue. A common Vmax issue. At idle when hot, the voltage drops too low for the needs of the ignition. Check the crimp fix threads, and charging system upgrades. A battery sitting overnight, off the charger, should read 12.5 volts minimum. Charging at idle +13.5 volts and up.

The shotgun and pea shooter are great methods that can save you from having to pull the carb rack. Sometimes, they aren't enough. Based on your symptoms, I'd say it didn't work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Your battery and charging system needs to be checked out and eliminated as an issue. A common Vmax issue. At idle when hot, the voltage drops too low for the needs of the ignition. Check the crimp fix threads, and charging system upgrades. A battery sitting overnight, off the charger, should read 12.5 volts minimum. Charging at idle +13.5 volts and up.

+1
Crimp fix, and the bill Seward r/r mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back