vacuum throttle bodies

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfunster

Reaction score
Just wondering? I've seen most discussion here on EFI about changing to GSXR fuel injection setup on the Vmax. What if any is the difference an/or pros and cons between say
YZF R6 vacuum diaphragm throttle bodies? and the GSXR type? seems to me it might be good to stay with the same manufacture. I would think that there is an inherent negative to using a diaphagm type. I have pretty much already had it with the carbs and am starting to research EFI.

Thanks

/not a real answer, but:
I wondered the same thing. I have a set of the R6 vacuums, the newer R6 and R1 TB's. got them pretty cheep through eBay. Am still considering possible FI swap (Microsquirt-staying with stock ignition) If I continue I will use the R6 TB's. My current best guess is I won't know which set up is better unless I put the m both on.

Here are a few links in the "Fabrication, CNC & Projects" section where there was some discussion of the TB's:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6625

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6546

And a little more that may be of interest(injector related):
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=6787

Lots to look through but i believe most of your questions can be answered there.

Personally, i would rather run the diaphram TB's on a street V-max. Their size/shape are not optimal for what we were trying to do though. You will also run into the need to fine tune the springs/vacuum holes to optimize them to the V-max. Just like one does w/ CV carbs. Just more trouble IMO. If you've ridden on a properly tuned GSXR1000, Hayabusa and/or ZX-14, you'll not be concerned with the vacuum slides. Simply awesome throttle response, even pinning the throttle the stops as fast as possible from idle. Staying with the same make is of no benifit what-so-ever. The reason most like the GSXR TB's is due to their very compact nature and the ability to seperate the TB's individually and respace them easily. They are taper bored(inlet diameter is larger and tapers down to the exit the head) which promotes intake velocity which inturn helps low rpm mixture(end result is more tq and better throttle response).

Hope that helps some?

does for me, been following the other threads/ projects- but I was considering EFI only, no ignition change. I wasn't sure about what TBs might be best for that- your last paragraph here gives me more info on you choice for the GXR TBs.

thanks!!

Was wondering if anybody out there has installed an EFI unit on their Y-max. If so could you email me a phone number so we could chat. I have a 85 model and have the engine complete. Carrillo rods, Aries 8-1 pistons and venture royale camshafts. I have purchaced a areodyne turbo for it, but have not yet installed it. Was wanting to install an EFI unit on the bike first. I am not knowlegable in the EFI arena. Need help bad. If anyone can help please email at [email protected]

Thanks to responders
Mitch (Big A) Ayotte

Latest posts

Back