Muscle Jet Kits

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My setup is stock main & pilot jets with the morley jet kit. I get about 42mpg on my vmax if I ride it sanely...(is that possible?).

Wow, old thread revived, nice. We've come a long way tuning our bikes since 2009. The pioneers got us to where we are now. Thank you all for that. Where did some of them go?
I think a big lesson learned was how small of a main jet we really needed. And, how critical float levels are with CV carbs. I do alright,mpg wise,cruising at a steady 5k.

My setup is stock main & pilot jets with the morley jet kit. I get about 42mpg on my vmax if I ride it sanely...(is that possible?).
Yup. I was just talking with Traumahawk about this last night. If you set your needles lean enough, you can get great mileage with your setup without being dangerously lean due to the nice big jets.

Yep....going from 150 mains to 155's allowed me to go leaner on the needle. I didn't lose any hp. ...and only gained 1....so if I go richer I WOULD lose hp.

Here is the dyno chart comparing 150s to 155's. Red is the 155's

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 9.19.2015.pdf
    285.8 KB · Views: 66
Eric, those 155's runs look soooooo much smoooooother.
Have you ever tried side gapping just for a dyno run?

Ive thought about it.....and that will probably be an experiment for in the future. I was surprised when I really started looking at the NGK's. They are already center gapped....which is what I used to do years ago with side cutters. If you can pick up 1-2 hp just from "changing spark plugs" thats quite a bit.

I was surprised at how the 155's vs 150's turned out.

With the 150's my needles were on the 3rd clip from the blunt end....and at 70 mph going to full throttle I would get a loud "whoof", then the bike would start to accelerate. With the 155's, I'm now at 1.5 clips.....and have instant throttle response. I can be at 2000 rpm, and go to WOT, and the bike just starts taking off....not it takes a bit to gain rpm....but this set up works well. Also I can get the oil light to come on in 5th gear now. Never could before.

I checked mileage this week. I always use the same route..so that way I have a control. Its 25% in town....and 75% highway. Unfortunately have 3 stop lights....etc. I'm at 39.2 mpg even with the in town driving.

Latest posts

Back