QUESTIONS! VMax.....Stage 7, K&N Filters & Kerker 4/1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2WHEELFREAK

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and new to the '92 VMax I just purchased. Always wanted one, so now I have it. Bike is in great condition, and i bought it from a 2nd owner who put most of the miles on it. It has 32k miles and is in remarkable condition for its age. 2nd gear works great by the way.

Here's a couple questions I have for now, and may run across some possible answers the more I read on this site/elsewhere.....but here goes.

Remember, my bike has a Stage 7 jet kit, Kerker 4/1 and K&N filters.

1. How long should I be using the choke on this bike for the warm-up period when first starting it cold and does it require full travel of the choke when using it? Its been a very long time since I've owned a bike with a choke!

2. What should the idle RPM be set at - it does not want to idle off the choke and seems be idling at 500 or less RPMs at the moment. Took it for a ride with the choke off and it didn't want to idle good at all when stopped. It would sputter/cough when taking off in first gear, but would pull hard from 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear once it got going.

3. I noticed on the left side (rider's left/kickstand side) there were two vent tubes. The front tube had a small drip of fuel. This normal? Didn't see any leaking anywhere else on the motor or floor, just that small drip only.

I'm in Arizona and where I'm located its 968' above sea level. Where I bought the bike from is 2,860' above sea level. I'm guessing this bike was not tuned or carbs setup correctly, but I could be wrong.

The outside exit area of the baffle has black residue (not thick soot, but its there - fat/rich indication). When the bike was off the choke and I slowly revved it (past 4-6k RPM) several times it seemed real clean and strong, but would sputter/cough from idle when I'd try to rev it. I'll clean off the baffle exit area and also take a look at the plugs when I get a chance. At this point not sure if its running fat (rich) or not.

I don't want to ride it like this anymore until its running right and idling correctly by itself after chock is no longer needed after initial use.

In the meantime I will keep reading and look at the PDF owners/shop manuals I've seen online. I'm going to tear it apart, change all the fluids, give everything a good eye inspection, thoroughly clean/detail it. Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the knowledge that many folks in here have but I'm pretty sure you should be idling around 800-1000 rpm. That's where I am at with a stage 7. Try tightening the idle adjustment on the left side under the carbs, directly under those vent tubes, and above the intake cover plate.
I don't know about the residue. I have a fair amount on my bike as well, it has slash tips so I kinda figured it to be ok.
All i could say about the choke is how i roll, I don't know if it is the right way, but I pretty much use as little choke as possible for as short time as possible untill the bike idles smoothly on its own. I also make sure it is warm befor blasting it at all.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Souds like carbs need to be cleaned.
Look up "shotgun" and peashooter cleaning methods.
may take a few times to get it.

Hello guys. Thanks. Will look into those things. New bike, new learning. Won't be able to touch it until Friday. One step at a time, and this is a good start. Thank you. Anyone else?

Idle should be at 1k to 1100rpm.

I always need a full choke to start it cold, then I immediately go to half choke or so, ride it easy with ~1/2 choke for 2-3 minutes while it warms up a little, then pull the choke up.

If you have difficulty holding an idle at 1100 rpms when you are warmed up, you might have a clogged pilot air jet. Common problem. As above, the shotgun method helps, and you can do the peashooter while you're at it (though I can't vouch that I've noted noticeable differences from the latter).

Once that's done, sync up those carbs and hopefully you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever someone gets a new to them bike the first thing I would recommend they do is a full service.
Not only will this ensure your Max receives all the TLC it deserves but will also help familiarise you with its various parts.

Among other things required is the carbs to be balanced and idle speed set.
The carb balance may be an issue for you if your S7 set-up has the V Boost butterflies removed.

To your questions:

1) Without wishing to state the bleedin' obvious, it depends on the ambient temperature and how rich your idle mixture is. Bottom line is that there is no fixed rule.

2) For idle speed I tend to set mine at the lower end c.800 - 900 rpm as I find this let me find neutral (slightly) easier. If yours won't idle off choke then, as suggested by Mr 83Max it may necessary to clear the idle mixtre system by doing the Shotgun.
However, before diving in to do this ensure that the carbs are balanced and idle speed is set.

3) I think what you are referring to are the float bowl overflow pipes. There should be a similar pair on the other side of the bike.
Short answer is no, there shouldn't be any fuel coming from the tube.
The possible causes are:
- Dirt stopping the needle to seat.
- Needle seat worn.
- Float height set too high. This easy to check and the method is described in the Service Manual. This could also give rise to your idle problem.

A build up of soot around the end of the exhaust is normal and does not necessarily indicate a rich mixture. If it blows black smoke that is another matter.

To summarise, do a full service and then see how it is running. Establish why fuel is dripping from the overflow and rectify.
Get the bike onto a dyno to establish what the fueling is doing and adjust as necessary.

Guys thanks again for the help and advice. i have found a local long standing competent shop who will look the bike over, and better yet, three of the techs who work there have been working on these bikes since their inception, so it's going to get straightened out real quick.

I was mistaken, the drips are not coming from the float bowl overflow pipes - nothing from either side.

Bike does not blow any type of smoke while idling or under any revving. The canister just has a little exhaust carbon black on the opening, as many do. It'll get removed during the detail cleaning when I get around to it. Right now I have the bike torn apart in my garage getting familiar with it/cleaning it.

Bike does idle on its own just fine, but its really low, and when I try to rev the motor it just stumbles or will stall out. Gets better as it warms up and it sounds and feels strong when revving it and the short ride I've taken it on. Shifts perfect. I've informed the shop what going on and they're pretty much stated exactly what some of you have mentioned.

Will get it over to the shop and report back when its finished. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back