OEM Carbs? Post your setup

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Thought of this since I've been bugging the crud out of y'all trying to get my new setup working.:bang head:
How about if we all could simply post our carb setup and how well it works for everyone to learn from. Including exhaust and altitude, no air box ,air box, Morely Mod Airbox etc???

I think we could all benefit from the info.

My setup.

Altitide 20-100 Feet
Exhaust UFO 4-2 original style
Stock carbs
Stage 7 Setup with individual filters, air correctors, breather assembly and bowl vent tubes in place up near the filters
150 Mikuni mains
Stock PAJ 1 & 2 (Mikuni 90 & 170 I think)
Stage 7 Needles with clips on the second most lean groove, 2nd closest to blunt end.
Stock Slide Springs with two coils clipped off
Did not drill the slides
Vboost open permanently but butterflys left in for closing in order to synch carbs.

I've got a permanently mounted DJ WideBand Commander so I know my AF ratios at all times; at least until my sensor burns out again:biglaugh:

Bike cruises at slight throttle openings at 40 mph to 100 mph at about 15:1-16:1
Wide open throttle from 2000rpm to Redline in any 1-4 gear yields AF of 12.5:1-13.5:1, I can't run it to redline in 5th, my nuts are too little.

Honestly speaking it's just a touch soft when rolling in to it from 2000 rpm till about 3000 rpm, probably due to both the Stage 7 setup?? and more likely from the Vboost being open all the time???

I may try to lean the WOT stuff out just a smidge later since I think there's a little more power in it to be had, maybe by going bigger on the PAJ 2, not sure exactly yet if that will do it tho, may going to a Mikuni a step down from the DJ165 Main might do it too??

Edit, I did drop it from DJ165 to Mikuni 150 mains and it worked, crisped it right up in the midrange without hurting the top any, maybe helped there as well.

I'm not worried about the softness down low tho, I don't race anyone down there; That's what first gear and the clutch is for anyway I think.

Rusty

Last edited:
Re: New Sticky Idea?? Post your setup...

It depends on how your top end is. If you like it then decreasing size of main jet will impact that, midrange and even a bit of pilot. If you like midrange and top end I would just mess with mixture screws and PAJ2.

My setup:

Altitude 700-800 Feet
Exhaust Kerker 4-1 with 2.5 inch baffle/turn down tip
Stock carbs
Stage 7 Setup with individual filters/custom 4 inch copper velocity stacks, air correctors, breather assembly and bowl vent tubes in place up near the filters
152.5 Mikuni mains
Stock PAJ 1 & 2 (Mikuni 90 & 170)
Stage 7 Needles at 2.5 clips from blunt end
DJ stage 7 springs (will switch to stock springs/tied coils soon)
Stock Vboost

Here is my setup....

Altitide: 440 Feet
Exhaust: Kerker 4-2-1, IXIL's Duel Hyperlow muffler
Stock carbs: Morley Muscle Kit (slides not drilled)
Mains: 150 Mikuni
PAJ 1: 90 Mikuni
PAJ 2: 177.5 Mikuni
Needles: Stage 7 (clip 4th from the blunt end)
Springs: Stage 7
A/F: Varies from cyl to cyl, 2.5-3.00 turns out.
Vboost: Stock

Last edited:

Kinda what I was going for on this thread.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8555

Everything is different now though.

06' vmax, stock engine.
Hindle 4-1, old school style
Vmax carbs w/ muscle jet kit.
Stage 7 needles. Clip on 3rd slot from blunt end
155 mains
Stg 7 springs
Drilled slides
Stock PAJ 1 and 2
A/F screws out 3.25 turns
Floats set to 16mm
Open vboost at all times
2000' elevation

Re: Stock Carbs? Post your setup

I made this sticky and tweaked the title a bit. If you don't like it, tell me what you want it to say.

Walker exhaust, 17" cans
Morley air box
155 mains
stage 7 needles, 2.5 clips (i think),
177.5 paj2s, stock springs,
drilled slides.
a/f screws all over the place (3 -8 turns out)
vboost always on.

150-250 asl
kerker 4-1
stg 7
needles 3rd from blunt
2 1/4 turns out
160dj
cop's, air correctors, k&n individual filters, slightly raised up with rubber stacks
slides drilled
39-43mpg highway at 75 mph
:punk::punk:

Last edited:

Altitude 0-42 Feet
Exhaust Kerker 4-1 with 2 inch core Mark's 12 inch can.
Stock carbs
Stock needles shimmed 0.034
147.5 Mikuni Mains
Air / Fuel Screws 3.0 turns
K&N, Stock Box
Stock Vboost

Altitude 0-42 Feet
Exhaust Marks 4-2, 2" cores
Stock carbs
Stock needles shimmed 0.028
152.5 Mikuni Mains
Air / Fuel Screws 3.0 turns
K&N, Stock Box
Dyna 3000 set on curve 1
Stock Vboost
Nearly flat 14 to 1 Air Fuel on Dyno

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Keep 'em coming!

Like small block Chevy's, there are enough of "similiar set-ups" out there we could get a pretty useable and referencable baseline set-up for just about any one.

Elevation: 10-30 ft
Marks 4 - 2 exhaust with 2'' outlets
Morley Muscle jet kit
160 main jets
Stage 7 needles with clip set on 3rd from blunt
PJ1 and PJ2 stock
A/F screws 3 - 4 1/2 turns out
Slides not drilled
K&N air fliter

Current set up:
700-800 ASL
K&N filter
float levels @17mm
152.5 mains
PAJ1&2 stock
Mixture screws 3&1/4 out
.042 shim on needles

Ok, now like last year, I started getting a stumble in the Spring so it was time to tear into the carbs AGAIN! Found yellowish gelatin balls of goo (looked like small fish eggs) in carb #4. Friggin ethanol, and I even treated it with Stabil in the Fall like I always do! Pulled the plugs, and looking at Marks (maleko) spark plug chart, it looks as though I am rich on the needle, and mains. I'm gonna try going with 150 mains and take .012 off the needle. I was going to go with 147.5 mains, but decided to only go down 1 size...scared of going too lean! Here is Maleko's spark plug chart, it was very useful in diagnosing whats happening in my settings.

Attachments

• sparkplug.jpg
    sparkplug.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Where's the rest of that chart???:rofl_200: What's shown is the best definition of spark plug conditions I've ever seen... Takes the diagnosis from being Rocket Science to being childs play....

Where's the rest of that chart???:rofl_200: What's shown is the best definition of spark plug conditions I've ever seen... Takes the diagnosis from being Rocket Science to being childs play....
Dave, That's exactly why I re-posted it! (thanks to Mark!) Everything I had previously read was so confusing and sometimes conflicting, that when I found this, I felt it needed brought up again! Overzat: bike was running....different. Hardly even noticeable. That's the only way to describe it. It had good power once I could get it up on the needles at 4k, but at idle it sounded slightly strange, almost like it was running on 3 cyls. It was the right front carb, and I would have to say that the idle circuit or mixture screw was partially plugged.

Update: After cleaning the carb's, I went with 150 mains, .030 shim on needle, mixture screws still at 3&1/4 turns out, and I have to say the bike runs fantastic! No more raw fuel smell at all, not even at idle. I am considering going back up a slight bit on my needles..maybe to .035. Very happy with it right now!

Current setup.

Altitude 0-20' ASL. Some places in Downtown Norfolk are actually below sea level:bang head:

2000 Max with stock carbs
Kerker 4-1 with Comp baffle
Morley carb kit (Drilled Slides)
160 Mikuni mains
Stock PAJ 1&2
Stage 7 Needles 3 clips from the blunt end
Stage 7 Springs
A/F 3.25 turns out
Stock V-Boost

My floats are set at 15mm from the factory. I will set them to 16-17mm when I get the chance.

Latest posts

Back