A/F screw has no effect

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newride88

Reaction score
Hi guys (& girls),
quick question... if I can screw one of the A/F screws all the way in with no effect to the rpms, does that mean the cylinder isn't firing?
The bike seems to run fine (albeit normal erratic vmax behaviour).
All other A/f screws make the revs fluctuate, except for cylinder 1.
All intake boots, carb boots, o-rings and vacuum caps have been replaced with new.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers

The sync needs to be right to get effect from all the A/F screws. But a dirty pilot circuit or needle will too cause this. It's not uncommon for the issue to move to another carb. after sync. Make sure that needle is clean and complete, o-ring & washer in place. If it runs good, don't let it drive you nuts. I'm not sure if I was nuts before I spent so much time trying to get everything perfect, or when I was done.

The sync needs to be right to get effect from all the A/F screws. But a dirty pilot circuit or needle will too cause this. It's not uncommon for the issue to move to another carb. after sync. Make sure that needle is clean and complete, o-ring & washer in place. If it runs good, don't let it drive you nuts. I'm not sure if I was nuts before I spent so much time trying to get everything perfect, or when I was done.

:clapping: I've spent the past few months trying to get it running 'just right'... maybe I'm nuts too! The guys I ride with all ride BMWs or some shiny new bike and they keep suggesting I upgrade the bike... They've obviously never ridden a Vmax - they just don't understand the fetish.
I'm about to go on a 2500km (1550mile) trip, so just thought I'd check about the A/f before heading out.
A Vmax is a touring bike isn't it? - haha (even bought the Hepco and Becker Panniers, just to keep puzzling fellow tourers).

Have you taken it completely out to see if the tip has not broken off-
That would cause no response.

Thanks all, I'll do the shotgun again (did it a few weeks back) and check the tip... if still the same, I'll grin and bear it (and hope for the best on the road trip).
Thanks again

I have greatly reduced the amount of shotgunning by avoiding ethanol tainted fuel and a cap or two of sea foam with every tank or two. X2 on keeping it synched up. Have an awesome safe trip!

Latest posts

Back