Thoughts on eliminating throttle junction box

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
I will need to get at least a pair of custom throttle cables made for the RSV/Venture/VMax Hybrid project. The bike is using a 2nd gen frame with a 1st gen motor in it. Venture 2nd gen motors were dogs.

I am considering eliminating the throttle junction block interface and running new, longer cables directly from throttle to carbs. Motion pro will make a custom set of cables with needed ends on them for a reasonable price. The RSV throttle cables from the existing junction block will not fit the 1st gen carbs that are on bike. A pair of 1st gen cables from junction block are not long enough to reach carbs.

Bike will not have cruise control, so that seems to eliminate purpose of junction block. The early 1st gens without cruise did have a quad cable setup though, but with a different type of junction block. There does not appear to be a mechanical advantage to using junction block. Pulley in block has a 1:1 ratio.

The elimination of the junction block will eliminate the need to hide it on the Hybrid, due to the lack of the full fairings.

Any opinions on this. Sometimes the voices in my head are wrong !!

feedback.gif

Gary

The j box makes it easy to pull the carbs. No need to mess with linkage on the carb or open up the throttle assy. However, I can't see how eliminating it would hurt anything

Worst case I would use the Vmax junction as installing full cables sucks ass (been there before). Dingy, I can send you a junction if desired. Motion pro should have all the specs of the Vmax cables as well as the Venture Cable and junction as I had sent all those parts for verification (might be in their files under Morleys Muscle). We made custom cables to put the cruise on the Vmax.

Sean

Worst case I would use the Vmax junction as installing full cables sucks ass (been there before). Dingy, I can send you a junction if desired. Motion pro should have all the specs of the Vmax cables as well as the Venture Cable and junction as I had sent all those parts for verification (might be in their files under Morleys Muscle). We made custom cables to put the cruise on the Vmax.

Sean

Sean,

If you have a spare one I will take it. No need to send it now. I have other items we talked about I also need.

Picture of a Venture junction box attached. This has output for 5th cable for cruise. One on left is standard, one on right I modified to mount TPS unit to. I 3D printed a net pulley for it. I ended up mounting TPS for Hybrid on carb throttle shaft.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC00356.jpg
    DSC00356.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 21
can you get them to make new lower cables from block to carbs with the ends you want to fit the gen 1?

They can make lower cables easily enough but not normally needed on the stock cables.

I am going to go with the VMax junction box, much more compact than the Venture. And, I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

I can send motion Pro lower cables of a Venture, so they can see just what I need. I can sent them lengths from the RSV cables.

Be a better way to go, I will no doubt have carbs off several times to get jetting dialed in. I had to use 3" tall pods to be able to get air cleaners under fuel tank. I have put air correctors in carbs that Sean recommended. This bike will have a traditional style fuel tank, so it is cramped above carbs. Not enough room for a VBoost on this one. Will probably get NO2 at some point.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC00570.jpg
    DSC00570.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4155.jpg
    IMG_4155.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC01507s.jpg