170/80 tire rubbing...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olds Guy

Reaction score
It is rubbing the drive shaft tube - and it is notched. It appears the washer moving trick has been done as it is not on the brake side...but I m not banking on it being moved to the drive side. If so what else can it be??

I was going to do that at first but they were taking for ever to pass thru my email...

I have a lot of detailing to do to the bike...ugh, surface rust for sitting outside the guys apartment complex all summer...

Attachments

• IMG_20131110_192611_421.jpg
    IMG_20131110_192611_421.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20131110_192620_074.jpg
    IMG_20131110_192620_074.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 65
That swinger doesn't looked any more notched than either of my stock ones. I think something else is wrong here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Do they need to be notched more then factory? To honest I dont know how these are factory. I will just disassemble it and see if anything is out of order on the install as I suspect they left the washer out, knowing the bonehead I bought the bike from - well I dont think he did anything with it as he bought it this way but claimed he did a ton of work to it...bla bla bla...

You know the kind of guy " yeah the heads ported, cams, transmission work done to it, ventura gear in it, runs 10:50's" but then the turn signals dont work be cause of unplugged-frayed wires, hillbilly manual switch on the fan, wouldn't even run when I bought it.

Can of worms - but I love it!

The stock swingarm has a notch in it also, just not enough to handle a really wide tire. A 170 should fit though. I have a 170/60-18 tire on my 18" wheel and it doesn't fit without the washer swap. 180's fit on a 17" wheel. Since the swingarm narrows the deeper you go, the bigger wheels require narrower tires. There may be other changes by the PO that are not apparent.

I run a 170 and it doesn't rub. The "spacer" or washer is in the factory location on mine.

I'm thinking check the wheel offset as a first step. The 170 should fit the stock swing arm without the washer swap. The swing arm could be installed offset to the right by the P.O. pm sent
Steve-o

Can you post a pic of the axle nut on drive side? I think he might over tighten it... That should not happen on a regular situation. The swingarm pivot bolts have nothing to do with this as this relates only to relation between wheel and swingarm. That would only apply if the drive shaft rubbed inside the swingarm walls. Check the wheel drive hub to see if its properly placed and fitted against the rim center circlip (about 2 inches in diameter)

m_zSuQbOgRFi1o63s_YAi5A.jpg

I've heard the Metz 170 will rub on some bikes without the washer swap, my money is on that the previous owner didn't swap it and just left it out completely. Only way to tell will be to pull the wheel and check. Doesn't really matter if the swingarm is offset at the pivots because if all the bearings and everything are good the location of the rim and tire inside of the swingarm won't change.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

I've heard the Metz 170 will rub on some bikes without the washer swap, my money is on that the previous owner didn't swap it and just left it out completely. Only way to tell will be to pull the wheel and check. Doesn't really matter if the swingarm is offset at the pivots because if all the bearings and everything are good the location of the rim and tire inside of the swingarm won't change.

sent from my HTC Rezound using tapatalk

+1

http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/fat_tire_installation.htm

could probably gain a mm or two by moving the pumpkin around in its mounting holes.

Yeah...pivot bolt mod simply moves everything (swing arm & wheel) to left/right. I have a Metz ME880 180/55.18 on a converted Vrod wheel. My swing arm is stock. I've got no more than an 1/8 on the right side...I think I got more on the left side...it fits but requires pumpkin loosening to get her in there...

I put a used 880 on and had to do the washer swap. But when i put a new 880 on i put the washer back and it did not rub so i think it is the tire it self that causes it. I know tom (beekeeper) put an over size 880 on and it did not rub. I took a look at his and it dont. but the used one i put on did. both same size tire. and the new one i put on was the same and it did not rub. :ummm::ummm::ummm: If you do the washer swap you will be ok. when i did it i had no trouble running it that way at all.

Thanks for all the replies!!! I will take it apart and see where I stand. How thick is the washer?

Back