Muscle Videos - Various Repairs-Inspections

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might just have to make one of those real quick. Got an almost stock height bike and a lowered one both at the house.

Sean

Sean, this is great work. I recently bought DVD off ebay on Vmax engine assembly, and I would tell you that it is very interesting and it helped me break the ice to start putting back the engine I dismantled zillion years ago.
As this website is mainly consisting of very knowledgeable guys ( like yourself and others ), as well as many many more who have a different level of knowledge and willing to know more and like working on our own bikes, I suggest you start putting things on DVD and sell it, likewise you will be passing your knowledge and we shall learn.
For example, I would love to see a video on how to dismantle the engine, how to inspect and what to look for, how to carry out different tasks.
I done myself many overhauls on car engines and auto transmissions, and not too few repairs on motorcycles, but I always see room to learn more. Like that many might know how to, what tools, etc...
What do you think?

For the moment we are going to keep try to do the video's of the stuff most people are needing help with (and we are doing at the moment). Hopefully I can get some more out in the near future.

Sean

prez, sean, you have seen them pop off without slide hammering, even with the circlip still in?

if u still have the drain bolt for the fork, i don't think you can slide it off. i forgot it put the plug back in and the fork won't lower all the way.

My 85 forks seem to be a little different. It doesn't have a 22mm nut on the top. It has a large allen key which was a bitch to get out when you don't have an allen key that big....lol.

Question: how do you get the air inlet ring off the folk?

Keep the vids coming, they have helped me a ton already.

The early forks (85-92) do have different caps and also different fluid level requirements. You can use a large headed bolt with a couple of nuts jammed together to get something a socket can grab on to.

You have to pull the fork tube carefully out of the air fitting. Usually twisting as you pull downward will let it slide out but you may have to hold the fitting up (or use a hammer to work it off as you pull it out). We like to weld the forks up and get rid of the air assembly anyway.

The early forks (85-92) do have different caps and also different fluid level requirements. You can use a large headed bolt with a couple of nuts jammed together to get something a socket can grab on to.

You have to pull the fork tube carefully out of the air fitting. Usually twisting as you pull downward will let it slide out but you may have to hold the fitting up (or use a hammer to work it off as you pull it out). We like to weld the forks up and get rid of the air assembly anyway.

Doing some preload adjustment on my '92 with progressive springs (lowered 2"), ricor intiminators and need to know the measurement for the fork oil from the top of the fork tube.
Please and thank-you!:worthy:

Brian, with spacer and spring removed should be 5.5 inches.

Thanks Mark! For the life of me I could not find any reference to that other than on Progressives site and their info seem a little generic, just wanted to be sure.

Anyone know the fill level for an 85 with stock springs?

Also, can I use any good Synthetic Auto Steering Fluid? Manual calls for 10wt does the ASF have the same damping?

Damn, I just got my folks back on and it looks like the new seal on the right leaks. Gonna have to pull it out out again....:(

Couple more questions on fork/spring assembly/disassembly:

1. In the first video your daughter loosens the lower bolt and fluid pours out all over. Can you not just take the whole fork tube off and pour it neatly out the top(kinda the opposite of installation)?

2. Could you fill one fork up to the right level, then disassemble it and measure the amount of liquid so we could know just how much to add without all the sucking and measuring?

3. You say install the progressive spring with the tighter coils at the top. The Progressive instructions say there may be less spring noise with the coils at the bottom, but mechanically it works either way. Any thoughts/reasoning about that?

4. If I am understanding correctly, I will have to cut 1/4 inch off the spacers?
(or according to their chart, cut the new PVC ones down to 9.37 inches?)

5. I'm a pretty novice mechanic, should I even attempt to do this myself?

Thanks!

1. yes but all the springs/spacers etc will come flying out if you don't get them out first
2. some guys just measure out the correct amt of fluid (its in the service manuals) and pour it in without then sucking/measuring
3. shouldn't matter either way
4. depends on if you are dropping them i think..
5. if you take your time and have the right tools its not bad. ask questions on the way.

Before you do anything make sure to release any air pressure from the fork tubes

Measuring down from the top is the most accurate way. A $2 syringe from the local tractor supply store with a piece of clear, 1/4" tubing works great for setting fluid level.

You can drain out the top. Remove the preload spacer, under that there is a washer that you probably wont be able to grab, and then the spring. If you pour out the oil carefully, you can grab the washer that sits on top of the spring. You won't loose the spring!

I followed Sean's video for tightening the steering head to get rid of the low speed shake. IT WORKED GREAT!!! amazing! I've also run it up to 130 mph since then with no trouble either.
Sean:
You da man!!

So...I reviewed Sean's Fork video, purchased a 1 1/2 PVC tube and a 1 1/2 metal coupler from the home depot, seals & caps from Sean and went at it on my 95...(side note - I also had a cheap Sears electric impact gun)

Followed the vid to a tee, including all the little tips...Disassembly & Reassembly went smooth...almost too smooth.

I probably saved $100 to $150...easy

I just wanted to thank Sean publicly (again - as many of you have) for sharing his knowledge on video (which for me really makes a difference as I can see all the "little" things being done) and allowing a Jamoke like me to save a few bucks.

Thanks Sean,

Frank

My 85 forks seem to be a little different. It doesn't have a 22mm nut on the top. It has a large allen key which was a bitch to get out when you don't have an allen key that big....lol.

Question: how do you get the air inlet ring off the folk?

Keep the vids coming, they have helped me a ton already.

Allen allen bolt in fork leg removal.
Home made wrench.locate a bolt of the proper head diameter.Weld a nut on the other end.Simple inexpensive allen wrench. Robert:bang head:

Latest posts

Back