80's vmax most horsepower

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
Was talking to a guy today that says the vmax after the 80's were limited on power and have rev limiters in them. Stating that the 85 I believe he claims has the most horsepower in the gen 1's How true is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is his head brown? Because after he pulled his head out of his ass, all he could do is spout sh__!

No 'rev-limiter' on a Gen I. Specs for performance are the same, though the stock '85 exhausts were a bit larger, they made the intakes bigger from '86-on, when they reduced the header dia.

Was talking to a guy today that says the vmax after the 80's were limited on power and have rev limiters in them. Stating that the 85 I believe he claims has the most horsepower in the gen 1's How true is this?

No rev limiters in ANY of the bikes. As per the factory all the bikes are equal hp.

The Gen 2's are a bit different, there are a few limitations but Tim Nash can reflash the ECU to remove all the limitations. My 2015 had the following done to it.

Tim Nash ECU Re-Flash Tune File
Includes,
4 into 2 Exhaust System
with fx Tuner's Monster Big Air
Version 2
High Performance ECU RE-Flash for the second generation Yamaha VMX17 V-Max equipped with Dale Walkers HoleShot 4 into 2 Exhaust System and fx Tuner's Monster Big Air.

This tune was developed to meet the fuel, throttle and ignition requirements of the VMX17 V-Max equipped with long tube 4 into 2 exhaust system and fx Tuner's Monster Big Air.
Some of the Features:
Rev Limit increased
Speed limit removed
Throttle By Wire restrictions removed
Excessive timing retard eliminated
Individual Cylinder's Alpha N and Speed Density Fuel Table re-tuned
YCC-T Opening rate adjusted for better cruise response and maximum throttle angle adjusted for peak Horsepower
Slight throttle openings are more tame and the response is more mild and manageable
Off-throttle engine braking in the first 3 gears has been reduced
EXUP servo can be eliminated
Air Induction System valve can be permanently switched closed

It wasn't the particular year of the Gen1, it was the color.. Everyone knows the red ones were the fastest and made the most power. In fact, if you put red tins on any other color Max, you pick up at least 10 hp!

At least that's what I read online...

And ANY Gen2 is fast... The red rule doesn't apply to them.

Thanks for the confirmation of bullshit lol. I had a feeling that it wasn't true and thought here would be the best place to find clarification. I've never hit a rev limit myself. But i don't go past redline.

To help your engine live, replacing your CDI box with a Dyna 3000 which has a programmable rev-limiter is a good idea. No need to worry about stretching the throttle cable, then.

Whatever happened to the Ignitech boxes? I know some guys on here were running them, and then somebody had one supposedly fail? I forget the outcome of that, if it was out of warranty, or if it was sent back to be examined for its failure cause?

Thanks for the confirmation of bullshit lol. I had a feeling that it wasn't true and thought here would be the best place to find clarification. I've never hit a rev limit myself. But i don't go past redline.

To help your engine live, replacing your CDI box with a Dyna 3000 which has a programmable rev-limiter is a good idea. No need to worry about stretching the throttle cable, then.

Whatever happened to the Ignitech boxes? I know some guys on here were running them, and then somebody had one supposedly fail? I forget the outcome of that, if it was out of warranty, or if it was sent back to be examined for its failure cause?

Are you thinking of Sharky's ignitech? Got it programmed and sent back to him......then had the starter clutch go out, so still waiting to hear it run.

It took a bit to get it programmed because it wouldnt accept the programming. After getting with ignitech, and SEVERAL emails, and several pics, its working.

One of the interesting things that was found out. It has to be a windows 7 laptop to program them. Wins 10 wont do it.

If you have an '85 model put an '86 and up 2mm vboost manifold on it. That will make it faster.

Are you thinking of Sharky's ignitech? Got it programmed and sent back to him......then had the starter clutch go out, so still waiting to hear it run.

It took a bit to get it programmed because it wouldnt accept the programming. After getting with ignitech, and SEVERAL emails, and several pics, its working.

One of the interesting things that was found out. It has to be a windows 7 laptop to program them. Wins 10 wont do it.

Just put an Ignitek in the Venture, bought a laptop this morning for work, though I would go ahead and open the bikes brain again. Nope. But not to worry, as I have found out there MANY MANY other reasons to fucking hate windows 10.:bang head:

Side note. Ignitek will tolerate resistorless COPs, but I've heard the 3000 will not.

If someone does find a work around for Ignitek to communicate with a win10 cursed machine please share. I had a win 7 machine here and I used that to set MAP voltages, dwell and rev limit so I'm not stuck but it would be nice to have a way since it's not possible to buy a win7 comp off the shelf anymore.

I'd buy an Apple before I ran Win 10.. And I despise Apple.

(Sent from an old iPad my brother sent me for retirement..)

I'd buy an Apple before I ran Win 10.. And I despise Apple.

(Sent from an old iPad my brother sent me for retirement..)

Likewise. I have spent the morning searching and disabling the many flaws and privacy violations. I'm afraid to use this machine for PHI for fear of violating some HIPAA laws with all the privacy and security flaws and defects designed into win10. A disgrace really. No more MS after this. The damn thing could at least talk to my bike as a consolation prize.

Just put an Ignitek in the Venture, bought a laptop this morning for work, though I would go ahead and open the bikes brain again. Nope. But not to worry, as I have found out there MANY MANY other reasons to fucking hate windows 10.:bang head:

Side note. Ignitek will tolerate resistorless COPs, but I've heard the 3000 will not.

If someone does find a work around for Ignitek to communicate with a win10 cursed machine please share. I had a win 7 machine here and I used that to set MAP voltages, dwell and rev limit so I'm not stuck but it would be nice to have a way since it's not possible to buy a win7 comp off the shelf anymore.

For clarification the 3000 would be Dynatek ignitions.
:clapping:

It wasn't the particular year of the Gen1, it was the color.. Everyone knows the red ones were the fastest and made the most power. In fact, if you put red tins on any other color Max, you pick up at least 10 hp!

At least that's what I read online...

And ANY Gen2 is fast... The red rule doesn't apply to them.
Lol, that's awesome.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

See? You've got a red '85 as I do. We know all about the 'Red is the fast color' legend!

1986 A new 3D emblem added and the rear wheel was updated. Aside from color changes, these two items will remained unchanged until end of this versions production in 2007. The foot pegs are also revised. The 1986 model was introduced for Europe in France, it was absent the V-Boost mechanism. For the States, this model brought the following changes: The diameter of the V-Boost tubes was increased from 30 mm to 32 mm. The non-DOT approved exhaust canisters are corrected to be compliant.

http://vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm

I'll call you.

Latest posts

Back