Draw-through Turbo questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdoprey

Reaction score
Hey guys, i just picked up a draw-through turbo kit(used). Don't know much about the kit. I do know it uses a S&S carb. Got a few questions though...

Would this be a decent setup(draw-through turbo) for a STREET oriented V-Max? I'm sure the size/type of turbo will affect this to some degree but i'll have to wait til it arrives to find out that info.
What would be reasonable boost for a totally stk motor? Any issues with stk componants? I'm guessing that 6-7psi would be doable on pump gas? I'm sure water/meth injection would allow a couple more psi.
Any other issues that might need to be addressed???

Looks like you are now the new resident expert!

I would love to get a turbo/nitrous bike.... have the nitrous.... just need the trubo:whistlin:

Well, i'll be honest with you, i'm not 100% that i'm gonna run it. Got a good deal. I've turbo'd my old 04 Hayabusa as well as a 99 ZX-9(i changed up an existing Mr. Turbo kit. Turned out real nice). I've always liked turbocharging but i'm not sure thats the direction i wanna go with this bike. Originally wanted a bigger motor that was rideable anywhere(140-150rwhp). Found out real quick that the V-Max is not the cheapest bike to add power to!
Kinda considered seeing if anyone wanted to do some trading but i'm still wanna check more into running the Turbo. Dollar for dollar, it would prolly be cheaper to just run the turbo. If i did run it i would wanna run a full exhaust. Should be fairly simple to do. This one has a dump.
Just really wanted to know if the stk bike(internals as well as driveline) would hold up to some mild boost. Turbo's are generally easier on parts than about anything else that gains a decent amount of power. Problem is that most get greedy or fail to keep a/f in check.

4-6lbs is probably a "safe" range. If you can find out the turbo size and adabatic efficiency then we can try to check the charts from there. You'll find that at higher speeds the fuel will end up getting sucked out of the carb but unless you can mount it under the hood that is un-avoidable.

I can get you in contact with a person who has been using this type of setup for years on his dragbike. He's making incredible power with it.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

4-6lbs is probably a "safe" range. If you can find out the turbo size and adabatic efficiency then we can try to check the charts from there. You'll find that at higher speeds the fuel will end up getting sucked out of the carb but unless you can mount it under the hood that is un-avoidable.

I can get you in contact with a person who has been using this type of setup for years on his dragbike. He's making incredible power with it.

Sean Morley
[email protected]

Sean, i would like to give him a shout. PM me with contact info(email or ?) if you don't mind. As soon as the kit gets here, i'll post up turbo specifics.
I guess i'm not fully understanding what you mean about the fuel being sucked out of the carb? The kit i'm getting mounts the turbo/carb where the stk carbs/airbox go. I believe it has a velocity stack that sticks out the side, which i would have to mod a K&N somehow due to the West Texas dust out here!
I did speak with Steve Henderson, who is a couple of hrs from me. He has a Turbo V-Max and is running what looks to be a simmilar kit(though i believe he built his himself). He is running a 1400+ motor right now i believe. He ran at Penwell dragstrip just west of Odessa a couple of weekends ago. Saw him run a 9.45 @ 140mph. He is around 300#'s and the DA at the track was over 5000ft. He mentioned that i would need to do something with the stk timming, as the V-Max uses quite a bit of advance stk. He thought that something simple could be done to keep some of it from comming in, but could'nt remember what. I'm guessing that it may have to do with the V-Boost? Maybe the ECU adds timming when the V-Boost valve opens? I'll have to check on that...

Just found out that the kit i got was made by Mad Max Racing, that it was one of their earlier kits and was on a fellas bike from N.Y.(named Paul). Was told(by Mad Max Racing) that his bike had run 8.70 @ 155mph. They are saying that i would need forged pistons and aftermarket rods to run the kit. I'm not gonna go into my motor to run the turbo. Looks like its prolly a pretty decent sized turbo and prolly won't do well on the street(at least not for lots of street riding).

Got the turbo in yesterday. Kit looks nice. Ceramic coated header and dump. Turbo looks VERY clean. Carb looks good. Intake manifold needs a little clean up(just dirty from general use). Even got a clutch cover with easy access/clearance for lockup. Gonna get it all laid out and get some pic's.

Here are some pic's. The Turbo seems to be a T-3. A/R on the compressor is .60. The turbine has no markings that i find, so i have no idea on it. Carb is a S&S Super B.

Attachments

• 100_1314.jpg
    100_1314.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1315.jpg
    100_1315.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_1319.jpg
    100_1319.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_1320.jpg
    100_1320.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_1321.jpg
    100_1321.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_1322.jpg
    100_1322.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1323.jpg
    100_1323.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_1326.jpg
    100_1326.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_1329.jpg
    100_1329.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_1331.jpg
    100_1331.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1332.jpg
    100_1332.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 34
I'm familiar with that setup, Paul Civetello had a guy run his bike for him, it did run in the 8's. I'll see if I can get the video transfers from VHS to post it here.

here ya go bro. Its the best I can do for now. I put my camera up to my flat screen :biglaugh:

You can see the burnout and the 8.51 on the board. Also note that its stretched, chained, lowered....etc. but a 8 sec max all the same. :punk:
But I'm still thinking this is the setup that you bought. The S&S is a good carb for the kit, for street use, I'd hook up a Mikuni HSR in 45mm flavor. I ran one on my Chopper and fell in love with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh7rI3M7W38

Too cool. From my searching around, looks like most are running a HSR 42mm on a street oriented turbo bike. I'm not looking to build big boost. Wanna keep stk motor together. Not sure is that was this kit or not. Head pipes look different to me, but i can't really tell from the video. Could tell if the clutch cover was the same. Fella at Mad Max remembered making this clutch cover. I'm guessing he did'nt make many like it? Looked like the V-max was lofting the front most of the way down the track?!
Thanks for the vid!

i didnt think the t-3's had a carbon seal which should be needed to run a draw through.are you sure it isnt the bigger rotomaster?that video is bad ass.and it looks like a task to duplicate that plenum its cast isnt it?

i didnt think the t-3's had a carbon seal which should be needed to run a draw through.are you sure it isnt the bigger rotomaster?that video is bad ass.and it looks like a task to duplicate that plenum its cast isnt it?

You could run a draw through setup using the older Garrett t3/4 turbos.

Latest posts

Back