Integrated CBR LED Tail Light Mounting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got around to doing this mod! I am very happy with the results. :eusa_dance:

Just like Jediael, I attacked the back end of the inner fender support with a rotary tool, but because I was going to epoxy the light in place like 89max did, I simply sliced off the butt. However, after mocking up the light, I grew concerned with the wire bundle getting lacerated by the serrated edge rubbing slices into it by the vibrations and bumps. So I took some chrome door edging I had lying in the back of my project closet and covered up the edge, but not after washing off the seven years of road grime followed up with some metal polish. Say what you will, but a roommate of mine once criticized me of washing the ashtrays and it hasn't traumatized me once after all these years
:rofl_200:
SDC10090.jpgSDC10091.jpg

I followed through with Jediael's afterthought and ground off the light's two plastic mounting hooks. Here you see the last one set next to the remains of the first one

SDC10080.jpg

Just like Jediael and 89max, I stuck on a couple strips of 3M "Automotive" double-sided tape. Here you see that I've already trimmed the upper strip's left-hand side into the shape of the light and have traced out the other side of the light on the right-hand side of the tape.

SDC10083.jpg

Following 89max version of the mod, I applied a bead of silicone epoxy along the top of the light and filled in the crevice underneath in the back. To mount the license plate, I drilled a couple holes in it and attached it to the light's mounting studs with a couple of wing nuts.

SDC10086.jpgSDC10088.jpg

Heeding Jediael's advice, I spliced in some extensions to the ends of the light's factory wires. I took it one step further and organized the wires into some of that plastic sleeving.

SDC10092.jpg

Now at a glance, it wasn't obvious from Jediael's pic of exactly how to wire up the light, but after thinking about it for a couple minutes, it became obvious. To save the next modder some time, here's a connection chart

wiring chart.JPG

As a finishing touch, I got myself a couple of 1/2" chrome plugs from the local home improvement store and covered up the two turn signal mounting holes

008236716573sm.jpg

Here's some stills

SDC10096_2.jpgSDC10098_2.jpg

And here's a vid

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=220751&postcount=39

Last edited:
Awesome work! I'm glad some the install is becoming more and more refined as time goes on. After a year of use and exposure to lots of salt air/rain/heat here Hawaii, the light is still working great. Its still one of my favorite mods to the stock fender.

What happens in wet weather with these sorts of mods? Not just to the light itself, but to the back of the rider or pillion.

It would get wet. And then dry off. I'm not sure what you're trying to ask.

What happens in wet weather with these sorts of mods? Not just to the light itself, but to the back of the rider or pillion.

well usually if you go fast enough and a little care, you can weave through the raindrops. :eusa_dance:

but seriously. are wondering about the water that sticks the trailing edge of the tire and gets flung up (rooster tail)? if so, then understand that fender hasn't been shortened--just the metal support that goes up underneath it. sure the back assembly has been shortened by 3-4 inches with removal of the stock light box, but in my opinion those few inches weren't buying you anything as far as blocking the water. :confused2:

That is what I was asking about, because there is obviously the deletion of the fender area to which the plate attaches. It is not great looking, but getting a wet strip of dirty road water thrown up your back plain sucks.

ya i dunno 'bout that, sauron. what with all of the elimination kits, shorties, and tail replacement bolt-ons out there, i wouldn't think that they would be still available if "rooster tails" were prevalent so much as to be a nuisance or a hindrance in comfort. plus if there's enough water in the road such that driving through a puddle would cause this concern, it's prolly raining and you're already wet. hehehhe. nah, just kidding around.

i'm sure that even if Jediael rides in Hawaii, it rains there every once in a while. He's been driving this mod around for quite some time and didn't complain about your particular concern in his last post, but maybe he'll chime in if he's experiencing this.

I like those chrome plugs, and I've been wondering myself what to do about those holes. I was thinking maybe something like these, so there'd also be a place to hook a bungee strap to, for taking something like a sweatshirt or a lunchbox on the back seat:

G_14407G_SW_1.gif

They're pretty cheap too, $7.49 a pair from JC Whitney.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-bungee-nuts/p2004407.jcwx

I bought one of these in the Spring of this year, never installed it, and was going to resell it until I saw Ninjaneer's video of how cool it really looks in action! I guess its back on the list of mods for this winter! One concern I have is that Ohio requires the license plate be illuminated with a white light, so I might have to plumb in an extra small bulb underneath to comply. Can't wait to get started!

I bought one of these in the Spring of this year, never installed it, and was going to resell it until I saw Ninjaneer's video of how cool it really looks in action! I guess its back on the list of mods for this winter! One concern I have is that Ohio requires the license plate be illuminated with a white light, so I might have to plumb in an extra small bulb underneath to comply. Can't wait to get started!

I had the same concern with the illumination. I'm gonna try a couple of those led tag bolts on the bottom of the plate.

regards from my tapatalking android...

So I fixed my hyper blinking prob and let me tell you what, the tail light is even more sexier. like butter-creamy sexy.
homer_drool.jpg

i'll post an updated vid later tonight for all of you who are still on the fence.

Thanks to everyone that was instrumental in doing the preliminary work on this. I installed the light last night and it works great. I also installed a couple of new front turn signals while I was at it.
IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Latest posts

Back